learning the thai language

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
Post Reply
User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9083
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » August 15, 2019, 2:50 pm

Chuchi wrote:
August 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FrazeeDK wrote:
August 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
super Saab (an Issan twist??)(

Oh, my point??
The answer I gave never sat well with me as it does seem it’s a play on the English Language, I asked my Thai teacher who told me มาย is never used on its own and go to the back of the class :(

She suggests that it is Oh! My point(s)
Well, that makes me feel a bit better. The fine print on my membership says English "MyMKPoint"
Attachments
Capture.JPG



Chuchi
udonmap.com
Posts: 295
Joined: April 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by Chuchi » August 15, 2019, 3:32 pm

parrot wrote:
August 15, 2019, 2:50 pm
Chuchi wrote:
August 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FrazeeDK wrote:
August 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
super Saab (an Issan twist??)(

Oh, my point??
The answer I gave never sat well with me as it does seem it’s a play on the English Language, I asked my Thai teacher who told me มาย is never used on its own and go to the back of the class :(

She suggests that it is Oh! My point(s)
Well, that makes me feel a bit better. The fine print on my membership says English "MyMKPoint"
I wish you had showed me that earlier before I made a fool of myself :D :D :D

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9083
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » August 15, 2019, 5:12 pm

Chuchi wrote:
August 15, 2019, 3:32 pm
parrot wrote:
August 15, 2019, 2:50 pm
Chuchi wrote:
August 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FrazeeDK wrote:
August 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
super Saab (an Issan twist??)(

Oh, my point??
The answer I gave never sat well with me as it does seem it’s a play on the English Language, I asked my Thai teacher who told me มาย is never used on its own and go to the back of the class :(

She suggests that it is Oh! My point(s)
Well, that makes me feel a bit better. The fine print on my membership says English "MyMKPoint"
I wish you had showed me that earlier before I made a fool of myself :D :D :D
If you're like me, it won't be your last time. All part of the learning process. I chalk it up to 'inquiring minds'........back in the dinosaur days, I had a student at AUA who asked odd-ball questions.......mostly grammar, but sometimes root-related questions that I often couldn't answer off the top of my head. Of the hundreds of English students I've known over the time, she was the only one with the cojones to ask out of the ordinary questions. She was an excellent student.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9083
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » September 3, 2019, 3:04 pm

My favorite noodle shop was closed today so I ducked into the PTT station near the airport for lunch. A friend had suggested a restaurant there. Of the four restaurants across from the 7-11, the one my friend had suggested was busy. That's always a good sign.
I opted for the กระเพราไข่ระเบิด.....but only after taking a few minutes to decipher the long quote underneath the menu item. It says "ผัดกระเพราแท้ๆ ไม่มีถั่วฝักยาว และหอมใหญ่ ราดลงบนไข่ดาวเยิ้มๆ โดยด้วยกระเพรากรอบหอมๆ โคตรฟินบอกเลย" The last part โคตรฟินบอกเลย threw me, so I asked the waitress and she did a mime for me to help me understand....she silently mouthing some words while rubbing her belly in a circle. I got it.

Reading the other sign in the restaurant helps customers to understand why the busy waitress may have forgotten to serve you water.

The name of the restaurant is เชฟเด้ง. Nothing in English.......so it's reason #6279 to learn to read a little Thai.

And yes, the quote fits the bill perfectly.
Attachments
drinks.JPG
drinks.JPG (15.63 KiB) Viewed 260 times
menu.JPG
name.JPG

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9083
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » September 6, 2019, 12:55 pm

My take on โคตรฟินบอกเลย (also seen on the web as บอกเลยโคตรฟิน)......"(I'm telling you....) this stuff is awesome."


น้ำตื่มบริการตัวเอง - self-serve water (or, get the water yourself). I've seen this sign in several restaurants around town.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9083
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » September 12, 2019, 2:38 pm

I may have mentioned this, reason #7822, about learning the tones/sounds of individual letters in words: If you can crack this nut, admittedly not easy but certainly nothing to do with age or hearing, you can expand your knowledge of 'all things Thai' even if your vocabulary or speaking ability sucks (like mine).
For example, on a recent trip to the market, I noticed a multitude of vendors selling puffed rice and other snacks not routinely sold. I knew they were probably for Friday's Buddha day (วันพระ), but knew there must be something else going on. I asked my wife this morning. She explained the treats are for วันข้าวสาก and went on to explain a bit about the ceremony. I knew how to spell วัน and ข้าว but had to ask my wife to spell the last syllable for me. Once she did, I could google วันข้าวสาก and read a multitude of articles, google translated into English, about the ceremony.
I've done this sort of things many times......usually on something I know only a little bit about, but once you google the Thai words, you can read much more......auto translated.
I'm not young, I have profound hearing loss (wear hearing aids)......but if you can find a dedicated teacher to teach you the sounds of the alphabet (not the alphabet itself.....that's of little use) and the tones, you'll be able to delve deeper into Thai culture/tradition than the common tourist.

User avatar
mech_401
udonmap.com
Posts: 280
Joined: August 13, 2018, 3:59 am

Re: learning the thai language

Post by mech_401 » September 16, 2019, 2:54 pm

" chef deng " เชฟ เด้ง and there is one across from bkk hospital? i wonder if same fellow? on fb

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9083
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » September 16, 2019, 3:13 pm

mech_401 wrote:
September 16, 2019, 2:54 pm
" chef deng " เชฟ เด้ง and there is one across from bkk hospital? i wonder if same fellow? on fb
Not sure. But the one at the PTT seems to be a popular place
https://www.facebook.com/chefdenginter/

iPa41000
udonmap.com
Posts: 16
Joined: June 4, 2019, 1:13 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by iPa41000 » September 16, 2019, 9:24 pm

@parrot
Just a little mistake:
น้ำดื่ม not น้ำตื่ม
dodek instead totao

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9083
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » September 16, 2019, 10:11 pm

iPa41000 wrote:
September 16, 2019, 9:24 pm
@parrot
Just a little mistake:
น้ำดื่ม not น้ำตื่ม
dodek instead totao
Thanks. I got the tone right.
Speaking of ด and ต. I had a wonderful Thai teacher who patiently taught me tones and pronunciation.
But no matter how hard I'd practice, I couldn't get the sound just right between the two. It's in was lucky, I could hear the letter in a word correctly or speak it correctly maybe 50% of the time. Most all the other common letters I could do blindfold tests and get it right. ต ด.

Post Reply

Return to “Society and culture”