learning the thai language

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 9, 2015, 4:59 pm

I'd guess everyone driving here can read an international traffic sign.......it's pretty easy to tell a sign that says NO WAITING. But some NO WAITING signs have วันคู่ or วันคี่ underneath the international sign.
One sign means odd days, one sign means even days. If you know the difference, you can wait while your wife/gf goes into the market to shop....without threat of a ticket. If you don't know the difference and pick the wrong day, you risk a fine.

In both signs, วัน = won = day. วันคู่ = won khuu = even days. วันคี่ = won khee = odd days.

You'll see these signs around town....especially around the Tetsabahn Market near the Ban Chiang hotel....and on Makkaeng Rd. Both are favorite places for the traffic police to ticket parking violators.
Attachments
download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (11.49 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
download (3).jpg
download (3).jpg (5.17 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 9, 2015, 5:08 pm

You can use the google app on a smart phone to help you when you're trying to get a merchant/waiter etc to understand what you're trying to say..........download the app to your smart phone, select the google icon, touch the microphone near the search box and tell the app what you want:
For example, let's say you're trying to tell someone "My head hurts", you'd select the google icon, touch the microphone, and say (in English) "how do I say my head hurts in Thai language". When you stop talking the google app will display 'MY HEAD HURTS' in written Thai.

It's not a perfect solution to not learning Thai.....but it might help you when you're trying to tell the waitress to skip the MSG in your dish....next time you're trying to order a dish on your own.

Smart phones.....more than just a phone!

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » March 10, 2015, 12:57 am

whats the App name parrot ??? can you download it from Samsung playstore.???

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 10, 2015, 8:46 am

vlad wrote:whats the App name parrot ??? can you download it from Samsung playstore.???

Sure can. It's simply the Google app.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 10, 2015, 10:15 am

Good day Mr Parrot.
There are several apps in the Google family..
Are you talking about Gooxgle Translate App OR Google Text to speech app Or another app ?
Thanks for your time and efforts

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 10, 2015, 11:06 am

It's simply the Google app for android. Like all smartphone apps, you'll get an icon (Google) on your screen. When you click on that icon, Google will appear on your screen with a small microphone showing in your search box. Of course, you can use the microphone to ask things like, "what's todays dollar baht exchange rate"......rather than typing the same thing. Or you can ask it, "how do you say I WASNT SPEEDING in Thai language"
Of course, it helps to speak clearly...........test it out at home before you test it out at the next traffic checkpoint

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2015, 5:31 pm

Our maid's phone needed a new battery, and I went to the Samsung Repair facility in Udon to buy a Samsung battery, rather than chance a supposedly Samsung battery from Landmark or Central.

While I was there, waiting for the clerk to fill in the necessary forms and take my cash, I noticed this sign prominently displayed at every customer seat. I thought......how nice it would be if there were a similar sign at Immigration....to ward off the chance encounter of an official asking for payment without providing a receipt.
If anyone wants to take a stab at a partial translation, I'll be happy to fill in the blanks.
Attachments
20150317_111344.jpg

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 18, 2015, 6:26 pm

I'm game =D> it's like a little puzzle trying to figure out what it says, based on few words I can read
and the provided clue. I think I can get by without a dictionary here but it may be dodgy. \:D/

" learn" customer each person please request receipt from clerk each time uuhhrr . . . pay money

if not receive receipt , call ... number ...about this or uuhhrr email

thank-you for use service 8-[ wow, okay so a warning about shifty cashiers then. and probably
not much help to any visiting farang as who could read it. round 2 ratchet up the difficulty :razz:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2015, 7:00 pm

[quote="cali4995" it's like a little puzzle trying to figure out what it says[/quote]

Exactly....why do crossword puzzles?!

You've got the gist of it......basically, if you don't get a receipt, something's hokey (my words), and contact.........

So, my point was, if there was a similar sign at immigration (preferably in English as well as other languages), it would tell the customers that a receipt is needed for all monetary transaction.

I'll assume that the reason Samsung has the sign is to warn customers of the same thing, to prevent staff from selling illicit products (fake Samsung batteries, for example) at Samsung prices.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2015, 7:18 pm

For cali......I'd add......rarely can I translate an entire sign (like the one I posted).....but I feel I have the gist of the idea.....and with my aging ears, even when people are speaking English to me, I often rely on a gist of what they're saying.
Sort of like when you encounter a kamikaze driver behind the wheel and would like to do something about it. If you're lucky, he'll have a sign mounted on the back of his vehicle. No need to understand the full message....but a word here, a word there, and you get the idea.
Attachments
airaran pattana bus contact numberJPG.JPG

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 18, 2015, 7:30 pm

those Samsung batteries are not easy to come by. I'd only ever seen one shop at central that
had a few extra, of indeterminate age. never even thought of trying the repair center :-k

I was browsing at preecha night market, and I happened to notice one of the mobile
phone sellers had an older Samsung phone ( a model I liked) and told girl I would take
it. however, after sitting in case for 1 1/2 yrs , the battery " it be swole" บวม boo-um(M)
her words , and wouldn't even fit in the phone :badteeth: hysterical. so, she sold me new1 [-o<

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2015, 7:37 pm

Yeah, off topic, but.......those 'deals' you get on some mobile phones come with bootleg batteries. As is often the case in Thailand, you get what you pay for....whether it's a house, a wall, a meal, or a mobile phone battery.
บวม.....good word to know......as in ท้องบวม

I don't know if you meant the (L) in บวม boo-um(L) to be a tone indicator....but the word is without a tone.....buaam(M)

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 18, 2015, 7:47 pm

ooppss, yes I just went back and changed it

the latest challenge . . . drive vehicle not polite . . . service not polite

ไปรดแจ้ง bai-roht-jaeng ( which I did need to use diK on) spill the beans? be an informant?

I can guess at sa-kaew province but those abbrevs, would have to avail myself of diK again

air-aroon-pattana can read that but no idea what it means [-(

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 18, 2015, 8:03 pm

หจก. = ห้างหุ้นส่วน indeed, an abbrev. hang-hoon-suan = partnership

ตู้ปณ. hhmmnn not getting any search results, maybe a street address

"air-aroon-pattana" must be the company who sponsored the sign

even cheating with an internet diK, an educated guess from context :?

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 18, 2015, 8:19 pm

Yes, it's easy to get lazy. if you don't come across puzzles, games,riddles to challenge
yourself you just get stale. especially with the reading/writing. until next time Quizmaster :razz:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 18, 2015, 8:25 pm

ตู้ = box
ปณ = shorthand for post office (ไปรษณีย์)
so ตู้ปณ = P.O. Box
ปณจ. seems to be "the pay-at-post office" but not sure exactly how that's used.

Homework's done......puzzle complete.....until tomorrow

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 23, 2015, 5:00 pm

here you go prof Parrot ; a partial extract from a legal document . quid pro quo :-k

สญญาก่อนสมรส วันที่ ___ พ.ศ.___

โดยและระหว่าง

นาย___

และ

นางสาว___

1. สินส่วนตัว___

2. สินสมรส___

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 23, 2015, 5:45 pm

The prenuptial agreement dated ___, ___, B.E.

By and between

Mr. ___

And

Ms. ___

1. ___, private property (I'd guess this refers to property in one's possession before marriage

2. ___ not sure of the legal term, but refers to property acquired after marriage

Don't let my posts fool you......I'm an amateur at thai.......but would rather face the challenge of translating a few lines of thai a day ........that provides an answer......... than a crossword or sudoku that answers nothing.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 24, 2015, 12:14 am

Well , that didn't slow you down much =D> I am probably the same . Forget more every week than
I learn , and if I don't do a little scribbling , I quickly can't remember the letters. Peg myself low- intermediate 8-[

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 24, 2015, 7:58 am

กรมการขนส่งทางบก คำขอที่___ รับวันที่___ ผู้รับ___

แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน

เรียน นายทะเบียน

ข้าพเจ้าผู้รับโอนซื่อ___ อายุ___ปี สัญชาติ___

อยู่บ้านเลขที่___หมู่ที่___ซอย___ถนน___ตำบล___อำเภอ___จังหวัด___

โทรศัพท์___

( another section from a gov't form , only resource material I have) :-k

Return to “Society and culture”