Bigg Mistakes Foreigners Make

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 5, 2013, 9:55 am

Andrew Biggs sums up the top ten mistakes foreigners make at http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/fa ... gners-make

I can vouch for his comments on the knife gift. Early on living here, we were invited to a village wedding. Stupid me, I insisted we buy something for the bride and groom. My wife resisted. While she was browsing the undie section of Robinson's, I browsed the kitchen section......found a lovely set of kitchen knives.....had them wrapped up in the fanciest paper available......and told my wife the gift problem was solved. She inquired, "what?", I replied, "knives"..........we ended up with a nice set of knives in our kitchen and the bride and groom got cash (don't they always?).

The first time my wife called the new kid on the block 'ugly', I couldn't believe it! 'You can't call a new baby ''ugly'' any more than you can call a grown woman ''fat''. I've since come to find out that both are acceptable. tit

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 5, 2013, 10:11 am

Looking at that piece I believe the writer of the article must have borrowed a Time Lords Tardis and stepped out from 1950's Thailand.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 5, 2013, 10:13 am

I still think the thumb's up sign mean good or very tasty. I eat som tam with a fork.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 5, 2013, 10:24 am

[quote="Prenders88"]Looking at that piece I believe the writer of the article must have borrowed a Time Lords Tardis and stepped out from 1950's Thailand.[/quote]

I don't know.......I still see a lot of that stuff. The only surprise for me was the thumbs up.......next time that Orange Crush pulls a stunt passing me on the highway, I'll be sure to give him a big thumbs up.

As for eating somtom with a fork, I usually do that when with guests, otherwise fingers work better.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 5, 2013, 11:11 am

You know my first few years I worried about offending Thai's with the way I do things. Well I know how to offend then now.

I have l also learned they don't seem to care if the offend me. So these days unless there is a reason to offend them, I usually don't. But, I don't worry about it either. People who really like you will over look your stupidity. This who don't probably would not be your friends anyway.

Wedding presents bit of cash a lot easier. Heaven for bid, you would do something thoughtful like a good knife set.

Anyway I don't think it is really worth worrying about any longer.

Being yourself is important within normal social norms.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » May 5, 2013, 11:18 am

My wife says many of these are 'old' customs, and Thai people no longer think about them as stated in the article. For instance, the thumbs up is not good ONLY if it is between a man and a woman when talking about if they get along or not: otherwise it means good, just as it does to us. In the stated case, thumbs up means I do not like her/him while a raised pinky means I do like her/him. She did agree that giving the knife set AS A WEDDING GIFT was a no-no, and cash should be given. However, she said that at a house warming, giving a knife set is ok now, though it was not that way in the past.

In some things it is probably better just to trust your Thai other and do as she/he says so there are no issues to explain. ;)

KB

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 5, 2013, 11:56 am

The three biggies I have made, and was quickly told not to do again:

- rubbing momma's head
- blowing my nose into a hanky at the dining table (with the same momma present)
- walking over (the legs of) someone laying on the floor - even though they were blocking the only transit point (no, not momma).

:?

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 5, 2013, 4:43 pm

So singing when eating means you will get an old ugly husband :shock: ,is this thai only relationships or thai/farang :-k .Damn those bars that had Karaoke :shock: :lol: 8)

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » May 5, 2013, 5:32 pm

bumper wrote:You know my first few years I worried about offending Thai's with the way I do things. Well I know how to offend then now.

I have l also learned they don't seem to care if the offend me. So these days unless there is a reason to offend them, I usually don't. But, I don't worry about it either. People who really like you will over look your stupidity. This who don't probably would not be your friends anyway.

Wedding presents bit of cash a lot easier. Heaven for bid, you would do something thoughtful like a good knife set.

Anyway I don't think it is really worth worrying about any longer.

Being yourself is important within normal social norms.
Agree with that completely.

Return to “Society and culture”