Jersey Shore Demons vs. Thai demons

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Jersey Shore Demons vs. Thai demons

Post by parrot » September 14, 2013, 3:41 pm

The week's events bring to light the difference in 110v USA and 220v Thailand:
Jersey Shore, wiped out by Hurricane Sandy a year ago.....rebuilt, then mostly wiped out by a raging fire a few days ago. In several articles I've read about the destruction, there's no mention of spirits or bad juju. As people in the US sometimes like to say, "Stuff happens"...although in NJ, they probably aren't so polite.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/nyreg ... wanted=all

Back in Thailand, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), having experienced a higher number than normal (normal is a high number already!) of accidents/derailments, is planning to hold a merit making ceremony, hoping it will help prevent more accidents on its trouble-plagued lines. My gosh! 114 derailments this year alone! There's growing suspicion that the spate of accidents might be because of damage to a 48-year-old painting at the SRT's headquarters. The SRT Governor is looking for a restorer to repair the damage (artwork damage!).

Meanwhile at Suvarnaphumi Airport, there's talk of divine intervention in the recent Thai Air accident there. A passenger on that plane reported seeing a 'guardian angel' assist in the rescue of the plane's passengers.....while airport fire brigade and emergency response personnel claimed to have seen a woman in traditional dress shuffling into and out of their office, causing crackling in their radio transmissions.
A spirit house was erected as part of the airport's opening back in 2006....but a spate of accidents lead to the construction of six more.
I can only guess that another will need to be erected to placate the new spirit....all swathed in Thai Hostess traditional apparel.

The moral of the story is: when you think you've got things figured out in Thailand, guess again. Unless you've got a short circuit in your wiring, you're probably way off the mark. Stuff doesn't just happen in Thailand.

Return to “Society and culture”