Buddha Day Custom ?????

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by pf-flyer » March 9, 2014, 4:32 am

My wife brought up the subject that there is a Thai custom of not having sex on Buddha Day.
Has anybody ever heard of this ?

"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 9, 2014, 4:56 am

No, there should be no problem. Up to you.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Stantheman » March 9, 2014, 5:09 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:No, there should be no problem. Up to you.
Must disagree up to wife

GT93
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by GT93 » March 9, 2014, 5:54 am

Must disagree up to the Abbot at the wife's temple. I suspect a small donation to the local temple might help the Abbot changes his thoughts on the spiritual advice he is giving your Mrs. Good luck.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by pf-flyer » March 9, 2014, 6:40 am

I am a believer in reciprocity. I took this approach. I can go along with that just as long as she agrees to having it on any other day. After 40 years of a good marriage nothing like this has ever come up; I also agree with the comment about the spiritual advisor and the influence of the sister in-laws beliefs.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

trubrit
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by trubrit » March 9, 2014, 7:07 am

The only thing different for me is the wife gets up early , goes outside to our shrine, lights a few candles, mumbles a few words, then comes back to bed smelling of incense. Don't know what she prays for but it works. :-" :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

maaka
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by maaka » March 9, 2014, 9:25 am

as too the original question..
It is no unusual in the indigenous world I travel in, for one to forego ***, prior to an important spiritual day, or event. my own tribal elders are required from time to time to sleep alone, and forego the above mentioned lovely activity..
Nowadays it also depends on how spiritual one is, whether they do pass it up, or not..
so I can understand the woman in question's, request..

trubrit
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by trubrit » March 9, 2014, 9:35 am

maaka wrote:as too the original question..
It is no unusual in the indigenous world I travel in, for one to forego ***, prior to an important spiritual day, or event. my own tribal elders are required from time to time to sleep alone, and forego the above mentioned lovely activity..
Nowadays it also depends on how spiritual one is, whether they do pass it up, or not..
so I can understand the woman in question's, request..
Tha'ts okay as long as both partners have the same level of spirituality, or if the spiritual concern of the abstainer for her partners needs , extends to someone else fulfilling her marital duties on that day. :-" \:D/
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Alchai
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Alchai » March 9, 2014, 2:02 pm

pf-flyer wrote:My wife brought up the subject that there is a Thai custom of not having *** on Buddha Day.
Surely you guys have heard of SRD during wan pat!
Note: SRD - sperm recovery day : :lol:
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

Jello
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Jello » March 9, 2014, 3:25 pm

pf-flyer wrote:My wife brought up the subject that there is a Thai custom of not having *** on Buddha Day.
No “Thai custom” nor religious commandment (or Precept in Buddhism) to obstain from sex, with the exception of monks who must take a vow of celibacy.

A layperson may choose to follow the same precepts as a monk (or some of them) for a short period of time. Seems a auspicious Buddhist day would be a time she may want to do that.
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Jello » March 9, 2014, 3:52 pm

pf-flyer wrote: After 40 years of a good marriage nothing like this has ever come up; I also agree with the comment about the spiritual advisor and the influence of the sister in-laws beliefs.
You also should be aware that some older Buddhists like to go spend days staying at their temple.
My mother-in-law does this, usually for 3-4 days. I suspect my wife will start doing the same someday.
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Jello » March 9, 2014, 4:08 pm

Buddhist beliefs on sexuality from Wikipedia:
In the Buddha's first discourse he identifies craving (tanha) as the cause of suffering (dukkha). He then identifies three objects of craving: the craving for existence; the craving for non-existence and the craving for sense pleasures (kama). Kama is identified as one of five hindrances to the attainment of jhana according to the Buddha's teaching. Throughout the Sutta Pitaka Buddha often compares sexual pleasure to arrows or darts. So in the Kama Sutta from the Sutta Nipata Buddha explains that craving sexual pleasure is a cause of suffering.

If one, longing for sexual pleasure, achieves it, yes, he's enraptured at heart. The mortal gets what he wants. But if for that person — longing, desiring — the pleasures diminish, he's shattered, as if shot with an arrow.
—Kama Sutta, Sutta Nipata[1]

Buddha then goes on to say:
So one, always mindful, should avoid sexual desires. Letting them go, he will cross over the flood like one who, having bailed out the boat, has reached the far shore.

The 'flood' refers to the deluge of human suffering. The 'far shore' is nibbana, a state in which there is no sexual desire.

The meaning of the Kama Sutta is that sexual desire, like any habitual sense pleasure, brings suffering. To lay people Buddha advised that they should at least avoid sexual misconduct which meant following generally accepted norms of sexual morality and behavior. From Buddha's full-time disciples, the ordained monks and nuns, strict celibacy (called brahmacarya) has always been required.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_sexuality
UFF DA!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 9, 2014, 10:04 pm

Is that taken from Theravada or Mahayana texts? And, if it is from Tibetan Buddhism books then all bets are off, in particular, if they are referring to the Hindu Kama Sutra.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Jello
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by Jello » March 10, 2014, 2:54 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:Is that taken from Theravada or Mahayana texts? And, if it is from Tibetan Buddhism books then all bets are off, in particular, if they are referring to the Hindu Kama Sutra.
Is that relevant to the OP's question?
The reference is at the bottom of my post if you want to research it further.

Per the OP's question, I was just offering it as a thought as to why his Buddhist wife may want to refrain from sex during a “Buddha-day”. Her actual beliefs/reasons may differ.
UFF DA!

fredythehound
udonmap.com

Buddha Day Custom ?????

Post by fredythehound » April 21, 2014, 10:56 pm

now i know why lot of the bars dont have many ladies in on that day

Return to “Society and culture”