Khao Man Gai, NYC Style

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Khao Man Gai, NYC Style

Post by parrot » May 16, 2014, 8:41 pm

A couple of displaced Northeasterners (Thai) have opened small restaurants in New York City. Apparently, their business is successful, despite serving only Khao Man Gai.
While I'll admit the serving size is larger than what I get next to the prison, it looks like I could buy about 5+ servings here for the same price. Just sayin'

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/dinin ... ref=dining

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Khao Man Gai, NYC Style

Post by jackspratt » May 16, 2014, 9:06 pm

Who woulda' thunk Khao Man (Mung) Gai is about this:
In any case, the chicken is mere garnish. The rice (Thai jasmine, with the slightest cling) is the main event, a perfectly round half globe, nearly as high as a cake, saturated with chicken fat skimmed off the top of the poaching liquid, and then cooked in the broth itself, amplified by garlic and cilantro roots.

It is lovely without adornment, better with the tawny slurry of a sauce that accompanies the meal, adrenalized by raw garlic, ginger, bird’s-eye chiles and taucu, a fermented yellow-soybean paste that is a distant cousin to miso. This is meant not for dipping but slopping and stirring into the rice. Refills are offered before you ask. Additional condiments of chopped garlic, green chiles and soy sauce thick and sweet as molasses are on the table for further tinkering.
:-k

Still, I guess the food writers - like wine/beer/whisky/coffee/etc writers - have got to come up with some original wanktalk to keep earning their crust. :D

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Khao Man Gai, NYC Style

Post by Sakhonnick » May 17, 2014, 7:24 am

$8 a plate 250baht!!! same thing here about 60baht

ofcourse there is not here and here is not there but just saying.......

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Khao Man Gai, NYC Style

Post by merchant seaman » May 17, 2014, 7:45 am

How much is the rent in New York City and how much rent for the place next to the prison? just sayin'....Looks like they are doing well on a simple idea, good on them, wish them well.(wish I had thought of it)
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Return to “Society and culture”