Learning the Birds and the Bees Begins at the Rocket Festiva

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 23, 2014, 6:57 pm

Word of Warning: the end of the video contains some XXX rated dolls in action.

I've been to a few rocket festivals over the years...although not recently. One memory from one in our village was a large paper mache horse with a shlong a mile long....and as the villagers pulled the horse during the preliminary parade, there was a string attached to the back end of the horse that brought out the stallion in the horse. Pretty tame, but still a bit of a shock first time you see it.

In the video of a recent rocket festival at Nong Saeng, there's a more explicit version of the stallion, only there's little left to the imagination. I know the festival is held to bring out the rains and the generative forces of nature.....but I've not quite figured out the idea behind the sexual pantomines.
This rocket festival parade includes a gaggle of school children holding flags....and I'm sure every school kid in the village was out watching the parade.
http://www.udon108.com/thai/showthread. ... ost2139140

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » June 24, 2014, 8:53 am

I have witnessed many of these especially at Bong Fi parades, the use of large phalli and woman’s crotches. It is simply meant “to be funny” as explained by my Thai friends. Poking a little fun! So to speak. That’s it

Geoffrey
udonmap.com

Post by Geoffrey » June 25, 2014, 7:53 am

I understand it as an imitative fertility rite - asking the gods to do as is acted out. Fertility for crops, livestock and family. Some of the meaning has probably been forgotten and distorted over the eons.
Holy Harp

Return to “Society and culture”