2-year old Electrocuted at ATM

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 15, 2014, 2:25 pm

Big item in Thai news the past few days is about the 2 year old girl who received a shock at an ATM her mother was using in Trang province. The girl died today after the mother had her respirator removed. According to TV reports, customers have complained about receiving shocks at that ATM.....but apparently no one took corrective action.
SCB Bank says it's going to cover the girl's medical and funeral expenses, and I'll guess a few extra hundred k thrown in for good measure (but, TBT (this being Thailand), there's no guarantee).
My wife and I were talking about the incident.....my guess the liability in the US would be in the millions, especially if the wiring was done incorrectly, or if the malfunction had been reported and not acted on.
Lots of folks call for tort reform in the US, but it's cases like this one with the little girl that make me think the US has the right system......for 95%+ of the cases.....$3million hot coffee settlement aside.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/ ... eart-stops

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 15, 2014, 4:00 pm

Unfortunately the real tragic story will be lost as every piece of this story will be played out with the usual "blame the other party" denials. Will be the standard game where money will be the main object. Shame on that.

But the real story for me right now is the 2 year old and her parents with the pain they will be feeling right now having lost a precious little child through no fault of her own . Especially taking off a respirator. I have an affinity with this having to have made the same decision myself a number of years ago for my own child. I am sure others who have been in this situation will feel the same. Terrible decision for any parent and time does not always heal all wounds.
RIP little one.

Return to “Society and culture”