Periodic Reminder

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
Post Reply
User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9032
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by parrot » August 18, 2014, 5:25 pm

I need a periodic reminder....sort of a mental alarm clock.....to keep my mind fresh on why we live here. So today was one of those days.....mark it on my calendar.
Went to town with a long list of things to do. Had my obligatory bowl of Viet style noodle soup and chat with my Thai teacher.
Next stop.....a 100 baht tune-up on my ears at Dr Samet's office just off the fountain circle. Walked in, signed my name, took a seat, and before I could take a breath, my name was called. I was out in 10 minutes.....ears relubed and wheels balanced.
Then off to Central to buy a Thai book. First stop Se-Ed....they didn't have what I wanted but the girl took me to the book store a few doors up, explained what book I was looking for, and the girl at the second store immediately found it.
Next stop....the Samsung phone store to troubleshoot a problem with the second SIM in my smartphone. A gaggle of employees tried a variety of things......and narrowed it down to a bad connection. They suggested I go to the Samsung service center between Phosri/Prajak Rds. The technician there suggested I wait an hour while he troubleshot the phone and updated all the software. Okay...free coffee ad wifi there and crab fried rice just around the corner. 50 minutes later....my phone is fixed......no charge.....didn't ask for my warranty or receipt (it's about 16 months old).....I'm a happy camper.
Last stop....a couple of scoops of homemade Thai ice-cream on a hotdog bun just around the corner from the jail. 20 baht.
Back home.....mission accomplished......just another day in paradise.



thaiguzzi
udonmap.com
Posts: 445
Joined: August 28, 2011, 1:46 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by thaiguzzi » August 19, 2014, 11:53 am

+1.
I like Happy Camper posts. Why we are here; the grass is not always greener...

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11214
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Periodic Reminder

Post by stattointhailand » August 19, 2014, 1:52 pm

Just got back from school where the teachers allowed us to arrive with an ice cream cake and some crisps/sweeties/pop for our little one to share with her classmates on her 5th birthday. Hate to think what restrictions a UK school would have put on us .... sugar/calories etc etc

User avatar
marjamlew
udonmap.com
Posts: 1769
Joined: March 13, 2006, 2:00 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Periodic Reminder

Post by marjamlew » August 19, 2014, 6:21 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Just got back from school where the teachers allowed us to arrive with an ice cream cake and some crisps/sweeties/pop for our little one to share with her classmates on her 5th birthday. Hate to think what restrictions a UK school would have put on us .... sugar/calories etc etc
HaHaHa nice one Statts. If the UK is anything like here, Aussie, you would have to label each food item with a list of ingredients and if any of the items you provided contained nuts or traces of nuts I would not allow you to bring them into the room. I may also ask you only to supply fresh fruit and water as the pop, sweets and crisps are against our healthy eating policy.
Watch Me!!

User avatar
old-timer
udonmap.com
Posts: 2620
Joined: January 13, 2009, 12:36 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by old-timer » August 20, 2014, 3:16 pm

I had crossed off Udon Thani as a place to retire after living there for 5 years or so before.
Looking back, looking at the constant changes in Udon and reading posts like this has made me realize that its really quite a suitable place to retire. As you get older your lifestyle requirements change and Udon seams to tick the boxes of having these older lifestyle requirements.
Other than Healthcare being a bit rudimentary, everything else seams to be available in UT or a doddle to get. Inexpensive as well.
I think Starbucks has really swung it for OT, cant live without a Starbucks Frappacino.

OT...................... \:D/

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9032
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by parrot » August 20, 2014, 3:41 pm

While the healthcare in Udon will probably always lag behind that of KK or Bangkok, it is getting better all the time. And if you were checked into Bangkok Hospital or AEK, you could walk the two blocks to Starbucks at UD Town.....although a hospital gown would probably not be appropriate attire.

User avatar
Shado
udonmap.com
Posts: 1628
Joined: January 22, 2007, 4:58 am
Location: Udon Thani

Periodic Reminder

Post by Shado » August 20, 2014, 5:26 pm

The S&P coffee at Bangkok Hospital ain't too bad. Not too long ago they had a buy one, get one free promotion. I just had them put both in a larger cup. The hospital gown maybe okay but not real sure.

bumper
udonmap.com
Posts: 8875
Joined: July 16, 2008, 1:54 pm
Location: London

Periodic Reminder

Post by bumper » August 22, 2014, 8:21 am

Yep mentally at times you do wonder?

The first few years were a lot more difficult then number 12 that I'm on now. But like you I still those times.

When I first came here, the doubts were really heavy. So I sit down and wrote why I left the States. About 20 pages type written, covering all the aspects of my life there.

When the wondering hits I read it again, think through the current aspects of being there. Each time it has proven out that I'm better off here. If anything has changed there is it worse not better. There are some things I might change. But, they are on personal matters nothing to do with Thailand at all.

It took a very long time to figure this aspect out, in my case every time I have tried to better a Thai's life financially. I've been very disappointed in the results and in the end was really no help to them. That was probably the hardest lesson to learn. But I just say no now. Then I'm not disappointed and nothing really bad seems to happen to them.

I live a very good life here and I'm grateful for it, that urge to help and repay the community is tempting. But, in the end you might as well buy them a case of beer :lol: :lol: :lol:

That has just been my experience maybe others have had better luck in that arena then I.

Making adjustments through the learning curve, is probably just a part of living no matter where you are.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 1465
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by Udon Map » August 22, 2014, 10:14 am

marjamlew wrote:HaHaHa nice one Statts. If the UK is anything like here, Aussie, you would have to label each food item with a list of ingredients and if any of the items you provided contained nuts or traces of nuts I would not allow you to bring them into the room. I may also ask you only to supply fresh fruit and water as the pop, sweets and crisps are against our healthy eating policy.
To be fair, though, marjamlew, any exposure to even traces of nut products is often fatal to people who have those allergies.

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 244
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by samster » August 22, 2014, 12:00 pm

Been here 8 years so a lot less than most but should have known better....
Went to Kasikorn Bank where our business banks to change some personal cash. Teller examines the notes and removes 7 x £20 notes as they have writing on. Happened before so not surprised but made the mistake of doing the "don't you know who I am" thing and asked for our business banking contact who I know well and would have okayed it. She was out so, after much apologising, the Manager took me to a private room and sat me down with coffee, cake and water whilst one of the guys got on his bike to go to BKK Bank where they would change the offending notes. Came back 20 minutes later but, more consternation as BKK Bank exchange was 0.08 higher. After more animated discussion amongst themselves they matched the BKK Bank rate. The Manager came out, shook my hand, and asked if I was happy. I had wasted about 40 minutes, made about THB40 profit but how could I not be?!! You reckon the banks in falangland would give this type of service?

User avatar
Stantheman
udonmap.com
Posts: 959
Joined: February 9, 2009, 3:33 am
Location: USA (For Now)

Periodic Reminder

Post by Stantheman » August 23, 2014, 12:27 am

Don't know about the running to another bank while you waited in comfort, but in U.S. a lot of banks do not take foreign currency and exchange for U.S. currency, and if it is U.S. currency they would accept it with writing on it.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com
Posts: 445
Joined: August 28, 2011, 1:46 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by thaiguzzi » August 23, 2014, 1:07 pm

Never take any notes that have writing on them, or small tears or rips to the Kasikorn, they will not accept them. Their rules, fair play. Most other banks will accept them. I bank with the Kasikorn, and have for 11 years, and am a happy customer (except when i forget they won't change a £20 quid note with writing on it).

macca46
udonmap.com
Posts: 981
Joined: May 26, 2014, 8:55 am
Location: Udon Thani
Contact:

Periodic Reminder

Post by macca46 » August 23, 2014, 1:36 pm

When I opened a new account with Bangkok Bank (head office) they would not accept three $100.00 notes that I had the same notes had been rejected by there branch at old Tesco so i went to Krungsri at Big C changed them walked next door and put them in my account, the reason they had a little wear and loss of color on one edge!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
rick
udonmap.com
Posts: 2451
Joined: January 9, 2008, 10:36 am
Location: Udon, or UK May-August

Periodic Reminder

Post by rick » August 24, 2014, 11:00 am

Not just Kasikorn. Have also had this problem at the Laos border - will not accept some notes. Once the exchange bureau shut for lunch and had to use baht instead.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9032
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Periodic Reminder

Post by parrot » August 24, 2014, 3:13 pm

Years ago, I told a friend we were returning to the US on vacation. He asked if I'd exchange Baht for a few $100 notes.......I agreed.....then found the $100 notes to be tissue thin. I looked up a friend in Bangkok Bank who took one look at the notes and said, 'no way!'. When I returned to the US, I brought them to a bank....where without a bat of the eyelash, the teller exchanged them for some crispy ones. No hesitation at all.

User avatar
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com
Posts: 5352
Joined: February 7, 2007, 9:12 am
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

Periodic Reminder

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

parrot wrote:I need a periodic reminder....sort of a mental alarm clock.....to keep my mind fresh on why we live here. So today was one of those days.....mark it on my calendar.
Went to town with a long list of things to do. Had my obligatory bowl of Viet style noodle soup and chat with my Thai teacher.
Next stop.....a 100 baht tune-up on my ears at Dr Samet's office just off the fountain circle. Walked in, signed my name, took a seat, and before I could take a breath, my name was called. I was out in 10 minutes.....ears relubed and wheels balanced.
Then off to Central to buy a Thai book. First stop Se-Ed....they didn't have what I wanted but the girl took me to the book store a few doors up, explained what book I was looking for, and the girl at the second store immediately found it.
Next stop....the Samsung phone store to troubleshoot a problem with the second SIM in my smartphone. A gaggle of employees tried a variety of things......and narrowed it down to a bad connection. They suggested I go to the Samsung service center between Phosri/Prajak Rds. The technician there suggested I wait an hour while he troubleshot the phone and updated all the software. Okay...free coffee ad wifi there and crab fried rice just around the corner. 50 minutes later....my phone is fixed......no charge.....didn't ask for my warranty or receipt (it's about 16 months old).....I'm a happy camper.
Last stop....a couple of scoops of homemade Thai ice-cream on a hotdog bun just around the corner from the jail. 20 baht.
Back home.....mission accomplished......just another day in paradise.

It is days like yours that I think about when I am back in Toronto and it is -30, the wind is howling, and everyone is grumpy. Great stuff.
ເຮົາຈະລ່ວງພັ້ນຄວາມຕາຍໄປ່ບໍ່ໄດ

User avatar
Stantheman
udonmap.com
Posts: 959
Joined: February 9, 2009, 3:33 am
Location: USA (For Now)

Periodic Reminder

Post by Stantheman » August 25, 2014, 5:52 am

When I travel to Thailand with cash to exchange I make sure the bank gives me nice new crispy $100 bills, it helps when I have been a customer of the U.S. bank for over 20 years and know the teller and manager.

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2901
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Periodic Reminder

Post by Barney » August 25, 2014, 7:45 am

The flip side to a periodic reminder here is leaving for "reality check"

Post Reply

Return to “Society and culture”