Good Spirits = Free Eggs

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Good Spirits = Free Eggs

Post by parrot » August 26, 2014, 7:15 pm

I passed the shophouses at the ringroad turnoff (kilo 5) in Nadee today......lots of vehicles/people gathered under a tent full of trays of eggs. A very large shrine had been installed, lots of people making merit with flowers and incense, and then walking off with a tray or two or three of eggs. I didn't have time to stop and inquire.....but now, I know the rest of the story:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/4 ... s-out-eggs

and the story goes in hand with my post earlier this year:
by parrot » March 14, 2014, 11:16 am
Patrick,
I saw this sign on the row of buildings along the Udon-Nongwahsaw Hwy, near the kilo 5 T-intersection. I thought it was a novel way to advertise a building for sale:
ตึกนี มีแต่เรื่องดีๆ ปาฏิหาริย ถูกหวยกันบ่อยๆ
ลองแวะมาคุยกับคนที่เข้ามาอยู่ แล้วได้ครับ!!
อยากรวยมาอยู่ด้วยกันครับ

My amateur translation is:

Only good things happen in this building.....(for example) miracles and often winning the lottery. You can stop in and chat with the people who live here! Come and live here if you want to be rich.

I'm not sure of the แล้วได้ครับ - which I translated as 'you can'. I'm wondering if a better translation would be "Stop in and chat with the people who live here......and (those same things....miracles, winning the lottery) will happen to you too!!

In any case, it's an interesting way to advertise a piece of property!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Good Spirits = Free Eggs

Post by stattointhailand » August 26, 2014, 7:58 pm

Perhaps it was a bit too soon

As he openly admits winning on an illegal lottery, I fail to see how the police can avoid taking action and at least confiscating the ill gotten gains :-"

parrot
udonmap.com

Good Spirits = Free Eggs

Post by parrot » August 26, 2014, 8:09 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Perhaps it was a bit too soon

As he openly admits winning on an illegal lottery, I fail to see how the police can avoid taking action and at least confiscating the ill gotten gains :-"

There was a police truck parked next to the egg table. One of the officers loaded about 10 flats of eggs before hopping in and driving off. No doubt the eggs are for the homeless that mingle around the police station :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Good Spirits = Free Eggs

Post by stattointhailand » August 26, 2014, 10:44 pm

parrot wrote:
stattointhailand wrote:Perhaps it was a bit too soon

There was a police truck parked next to the egg table. One of the officers loaded about 10 flats of eggs before hopping in and driving off. No doubt the eggs are for the homeless that mingle around the police station :D

Perhaps a mild case of Salmonella would be suitable "merit" in this case then :lol:

Return to “Society and culture”