St. Pisces?

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

St. Pisces?

Post by parrot » January 15, 2015, 3:16 pm

Funny how I believe in religion to an extent......but astrology is a totally different animal. 110v versus 220v for me. And yet, the longer I live in Thailand, the more I think the national religion of Thailand is astrology, more than any other. My two hands no longer have enough fingers to count the people we know who have changed their names.....suggested by their favorite 'monk' or astrologer. A day or two or three before each lottery pick, there's a fortune teller out front of the Bangkok Bank on Phosri Rd.....and for a mere 50 baht or so, he'll tell you the likely lottery number pick. We've met girls who wanted to marry so and so but didn't because their maw doo suggested otherwise. And, God forbid, you buy a white or blue or green car and have bad luck......there's sure to be someone out there who suggests you change the color of your vehicle (with a sticker) to increase the chances for good fortune. A neighbor of ours, once a Thai Army general, changed his signature style because a monk suggested he do so to increase chances for good fortune. And......when I applied for a Cricket Mobile account back in the US recently, the nice girl behind the counter just assigned me a phone number.........imagine that! Unlike here where choosing a phone number is much like choosing a mate.

The article in today's BP has a few more 220v eyeopeners for me......educated people who choose a university because they're likely to meet their 'mate' there. I always thought most people started work on a Monday......but apparently, that's not the case.....if the fortune teller suggests otherwise.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ry-mystics

Maybe Andy Rooney had it right when he said, “I don't differentiate much, except in degree, between people who believe in religion from those who believe in astrology, magic or the supernatural.”
Should I be any more skeptical of people who chose the right education path because of suggestions by their version of Whoopie Goldberg (The Ghost) than I am of people who find themselves cured of cancer because of prayer.....or not stepping on cracks in the sidewalk?
Slow news day!

Return to “Society and culture”