Cleaning Teeth, Cleaning Chickens

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Cleaning Teeth, Cleaning Chickens

Post by parrot » March 10, 2015, 6:10 pm

My wife and I went to have our teeth cleaned at RakFan (near the satellite post office) today.....we've been doing semi-annual cleanings there since they opened 14 years ago. Getting teeth cleaned here.......with or often without an appointment.....and walking out a mere 600 baht lighter............that's #961 on my list of reasons I live here. Add to that.....the intrigue.......why despite semi-annual cleanings in the military did I continue to have teeth problems? Even my wife, a religious teeth cleaner to the extreme, had periodontal disease while in Texas. Here? Not even a whisper of a problem....and despite not owning a toothbrush until she was 14 years old, she has all her teeth with the exception of her wisdom teeth.

We stopped by Dose, a neighbor of RakFan, for a pizza for my wife and a shrimp fried rice with a passion fruit ice drink. First time I've been there and not had my dose of coffee........but the passion fruit drink was fantastic!
Then to our parked car where, in the middle of the city, a man raises a few fighting chickens. He's been doing it for years.....but today I happened upon him while he was bathing one of his prizes. Not just rinsing off dead feathers or dust, but a deep sponge clean of the chicken's entire body.....caressing the chicken as if it were his own child.....and cleaninig every crevice on its body. The man allowed me to take his photo........and we exchanged a few words about the price of prize fighting chickens (hundred of thousands of baht is not unheard of). I thought I'd add the photo to go with the one I snapped a few weeks ago....of a man on a motorcycle with a chicken in a padded sling. Sights you won't see in the US.

All in all, a good day.
Attachments
20150310_104136.jpg
20150310_113828.jpg
20150310_112805.jpg

rct
udonmap.com

Re: Cleaning Teeth, Cleaning Chickens

Post by rct » May 21, 2022, 3:14 pm

Parrot- what's the latest price on teeth cleaning at RakFan?

Just back from same at Bangkok Hospital, it was 1500 per head (mandatory atk test included).

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 21, 2022, 3:27 pm

Rakfan doesn't ask/do atk test.......I went recently.....but the dentist did a minor cosmetic fix for me.....total cost was 1400......I think 800 of it was for cleaning.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 21, 2022, 3:55 pm

Any chance for a pin drop Parrot? I can't seem to locate it on Google Maps
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 21, 2022, 4:17 pm

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 21, 2022, 4:23 pm

Potamoi wrote:
May 21, 2022, 3:55 pm
Any chance for a pin drop Parrot? I can't seem to locate it on Google Maps
There you go https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=2 ... __tn__=C-R
I should add.......standard procedure is to swish some really nasty looking brown wash in your mouth before they do anything. You get to rinse with water afterwards.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 21, 2022, 5:50 pm

.but today I happened upon him while he was bathing one of his prizes. Not just rinsing off dead feathers or dust, but a deep sponge clean of the chicken's entire body.....caressing the chicken as if it were his own child.....and cleaninig every crevice on its body. The man allowed me to take his photo........and we exchanged a few words about the price of prize fighting chickens (hundred of thousands of baht is not unheard of)

We have a Thai friend in our village who does the exact same. Talks to them and strokes/massages his best fighters. Crazy or what?, I would gladly strangle every rooster on our land to have a full nights sleep. Buggers start at around 1am and depending on the return calls can go on all night.

Return to “Society and culture”