Wrong Way Driver?

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Wrong Way Driver?

Post by parrot » May 31, 2015, 12:14 am

On one of my many recent San Antonio-Houston road trips, I went through a nanosecond thought of being back on the roads of Thailand.......when far ahead I noticed this big rig truck heading my way. Just for a nanosecond I felt as though I were driving the Udon-Nongbualamphu Hwy where such an encounter wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
After that brief nightmare of a thought, I realized the big rig (a new cab) was being towed.....and wasn't heading in my lane in my direction after all.
Actually, in my several months of being back in the US, I haven't encountered anyone in my lane......driving the wrong way.......or driving at night with no headlights or rear lights.....or running a red light several seconds after the light changes.
It's not to say all is hunky-dory on the roads of the US....but being able to drive a few thousand miles over a 2 month period.....mostly at 70-80mph....with most everyone following the basic rules of the road (excepting 'speed and cellphones')....serves as a reminder of how far Thailand (and most Asian countries) have to go when it comes to a pleasurable driving experience.
Attachments
20150529_122129.jpg

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Wrong Way Driver?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 31, 2015, 1:19 am

Scary sight...for a second.

How was it driving in the rain that Houston has received over the last week or so?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

can123
udonmap.com

Wrong Way Driver?

Post by can123 » May 31, 2015, 2:55 am

It was just over twenty years ago that I found myself driving in Texas. I bought petrol in a town called Beaumont and it was the cheapest fuel I had ever seen. The weather was beautiful and all was well with the world. I drove on to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas and on my return journey I was going to see Dallas and the Grassy Knoll. As I hit the outskirts of Dallas I experienced the worst rain of my life and I was scared stiff and concentrated hard to stay on the road. After about eight miles of this I saw a sign for a motel and escaped.

The next morning it was clear that my earlier fear had been justified. I saw at least six cars which had failed to stay on the carriageway and ended up in the drainage ditches. Then, I heard the awful news that many people, twelve I think, had died as a result of flash floods in Beaumont. It was a very sobering experience.

Return to “Society and culture”