Muddled Middle Names

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Muddled Middle Names

Post by parrot » August 30, 2015, 12:29 am

Is there any damage in giving up a middle name? Until we arrived in Thailand 19 years ago, I never had an issue with anyone mistaking my middle name (Stephen) for my last name. Matter of fact, I can't ever recall anyone mistakenly identifying me as a Steven versus a Stephen.
But that all changed when we moved to Thailand. It's not the inconvenience of writing in my middle name on virtually every application (immigration x 20, bank, Big C, AIS, True, Index, AEK, etc)......it's the inconvenience of going back to that location and the clerk searching for your computer record using your middle name.......and declaring you "not in our system". All the while you're holding a bankbook (archaic term usually associated with Princess Phones) or a member card that clearly shows you should be in their system.
So that got me to thinking........what's the purpose of a middle name for identification purposes? Can I, at a later stage in life, give up my middle name for ID purposes and not risk losing access to something that already has my middle name?
If my passport doesn't show a middle name, does that mean I don't have one or does it mean I don't list one?

On the subject of middle names, our only child has one.....Ali. Our child assumed that name at birth.....and for a good 25 years, never had a problem. Then 9/11 hit and all of a sudden the name was a problem. Sometimes it becomes more of a problem when immigration officials look at the passport and note the place of birth "China". But that's another story.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Muddled Middle Names

Post by Khun Paul » August 30, 2015, 7:21 am

Historically middle names were given as I understood it to recognise a family member /ghreat Aunt or grand parents as a way of continuing the name in the family.
Mine was given by my parents the First name was linked to the time of the year, however in public school the First name was an embarrassment as it could be shortened to , Copper bottom, shiny arse etc, so my mother decided that my Middle name was used only.
Here they call me by my first name which I ignore until I gently inform them my last name is the name you call me. Even immigration got cross once as they said this is your name, I told them they were wrong , now they use the last name.
Thais of course have nicknames which they change to suit themselves, as their names can be almost unprouncable.

A friend of miune had five names , his nickname was Chalky or you used JJGWW, his initials.
BUT you should insist on the correct method of listing your name I do , it works.

Return to “Society and culture”