Strange Engine Sounds

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Strange Engine Sounds

Post by parrot » October 20, 2015, 8:28 pm

In 1972 or so, I read an article about a lady driving a Mercedes Benz in Bangkok. She was stopped at a red light and sensed something wrong.........she asked for help.....and after lifting up the front seat cushion, uncovered a individual cobra along with a recent hatch of snaklings. Under her seat!!

Another snake story that I sort of witnessed.....NKP circa 1971......I was in a base taxi (I think it cost $0.25 to go from the main gate to the Task Force Alpha building where I worked. Another taxi was a few 100 meters or so in front of us. It suddenly stopped......then backed up......then the occupants including the driver jumped out. My driver pulled up....inquired.......the other driver said he ran over a cobra in the road, but when he passed over it, he didn't see it in the road......and he could only imagine it jumped up into the chassis area. I was on my way to work.....so no time to confirm where the supposed snake ended up.

I still tell those was stories today......but now I have something to sort of back up them up. In this morning's news, a van driver in Ayyuthaya heard an unusual noise when he tried to start the vehicle. Sure enough, when the passenger seat was lifted up to reveal the engine compartment, there was a 2 meter long python resting there.

We live 18km outside the city of Udon......and first time visitors invariably ask if we have snakes in our area. I usually laugh and tell them you don't have to live in the jungle to have snakes in your neighborhood.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/533376
http://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/355305

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Strange Engine Sounds

Post by FrazeeDK » October 21, 2015, 3:55 pm

Our small terrier dog has a special bark for snakes. In the past week he's chased off a one meter green snake and a 1.2 meter cobra. He sometimes corners them and dodges in and out biting them until he breaks their back..
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Strange Engine Sounds

Post by jackspratt » October 21, 2015, 7:16 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:Our small terrier dog has a special bark for snakes. In the past week he's chased off a one meter green snake and a 1.2 meter cobra. He sometimes corners them and dodges in and out biting them until he breaks their back..
Are you sure your dog it is not a mongoose? :D

Return to “Society and culture”