It's Raining.....AC/DC

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by parrot » November 14, 2015, 11:44 am

My wife and I were at a small temple today.....Katin ceremony, so lots of money growing on 'trees' to the final tune of about 600,000 Baht! The rain held off until most everyone had an opportunity to eat, then find shelter in the sala as the skies opened up.
As everyone was praying, I'm thinking "how wonderful.......a heavy rain, just when you least expect it". After the rain continued unabated for another half hour, I expressed my thoughts with an older villager who was next to me. He listened......then frowned.......'ยังไม่เกียวข้าว' (I haven't harvested my rice yet!) he said. And anyone who knows the trials of harvesting a field of wet rice, especially if it's fallen down, can understand the task he is facing.
I helped a Brit friend and his family harvest a small field several years ago........the sun was shining full bore, it was hot, and most of his field had succumbed to a late rain storm and was laying flat. If it weren't for the gin and tonics that were flowing freely, it would have been an unpleasant task.

While at the ceremony, I saw the ubiquitous posters of a crocodile, centipede, turtle, and matcha (นางมัจฉา). My favorite noodle shop has the centipede banner hanging at their store........and I've always wondered "what's that all about". I asked one elderly man to explain it to me in elementary Thai terms......but he spoke way over my head. Later I asked a mid-aged monk to do the same.......and I think I have a better understanding of the stories they convey. Anyone want to take a stab at it?
Attachments
supanmasha_.jpg
supanmasha_.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
20151114_073523.jpg

MrFixer
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by MrFixer » November 14, 2015, 12:09 pm

I have had it explained to me by my fiancee - the creatures indicate human frailties... Supanee Matcha is stupidity, crocodile is greed (IIRC)..etc.
I would like a book that explains all this in basic Thai (probably would be a kid's schoolbook) but have yet to find anything suitable. Most Thai books on Buddhism are either too difficult for me to comprehend, or are basically comics.

parrot
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by parrot » November 15, 2015, 7:22 pm

MrFixer wrote:I have had it explained to me by my fiancee - the creatures indicate human frailties... Supanee Matcha is stupidity, crocodile is greed (IIRC)..etc.
I would like a book that explains all this in basic Thai (probably would be a kid's schoolbook) but have yet to find anything suitable. Most Thai books on Buddhism are either too difficult for me to comprehend, or are basically comics.
It could be..... the animals on the flags represent human traits that are frowned upon in Buddhist teachings. The centipede signifies anger, Supanna Matcha irresponsibility and the crocodile greed. Displaying banners of these creatures in the temple is a way of reminding us of these faults.

or

The banners represent reincarnations of four very wealthy people who in their lives were very mean. They are said to regret their lack of generosity and ask to be present on these occasions so that they can gain a little merit for themselves. https://books.google.co.th/books?id=XKC ... st&f=false

On the subject of Katin.......we went to another Katin today........looking at the shoes, you'd never guess over $30,000 was donated.
Attachments
20151115_092041.jpg

Shado
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by Shado » November 15, 2015, 7:49 pm

looking at the shoes, you'd never guess over $30,000 was donated.
$ or ฿? Dollars seems like an awful lot.

parrot
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by parrot » November 15, 2015, 8:09 pm

1,200,000+ in Baht.....and when we left, although the sponsoring family had already presented the bulk of the donated cash to the head monk, people were still lining up at the donation table to give more.

In yesterday's smaller ceremony, the sponsoring family donated 100,000.....but the end donation was about 450,000 Baht. In today's much larger ceremony, the sponsoring family dropped 300,000 in the bucket.

I had visions of my days when the pastor said, today's 'second' collection will be for.......and on very rare occasions, a 'third collection'. Today, even after the sponsoring family had presented the bulk of the donations to the monk, and as people were still at the donation table, a few girls were walking around with trays looking for anyone willing to further the pot. And as one of the girls passed our row of chairs, wallets/purses flew open and another 20, 50, or 100 baht was added to what was already contributed.

One of the first things we did after arriving in Thailand 19 years ago was go to a Katin ceremony at Wat Bahn Thad. I was put off by it......people lining up 5 deep to put food in the monks' bowls.....and the bowls emptied every few feet into a large bucket.....and the large buckets emptied into the back of an accompanying pick up truck every few feet. To my uninitiated, still jet-lagging brain, the whole things was something out of the Roman Empire. I've since chilled and learned to understand, at least a little bit, what's behind the ceremony. Now I can meditate on a hundred pair of flip flops and assorted shoes on a bed of Mekong gravel.....and go home without feeling like I've been to a glutton ceremony. Quite the opposite.

Shado
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by Shado » November 15, 2015, 8:47 pm

Truly amazing. Over a million baht is a very successful Boon Katin. I'm still astonished by the various tam boons, the frequency and level of participation. It this respect, Thailand is for sure, truly amazing.

FCBasel1967
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by FCBasel1967 » November 15, 2015, 9:25 pm

Yeah man truly amazing how easily they manage to extort money from unsuspecting and naive believers. Yeaah just amazing.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

It's Raining.....AC/DC

Post by jackspratt » November 15, 2015, 9:50 pm

Adding to the thoughts of others - while cycling around the many small moo baans (villages) in Ban Dung and other adjacent Amphurs, you can never cease to be amazed at the luxurious and grand Buddhist Wats in the middle of the obviously poor villages.

Buddha Inc; Rome Inc; Islam Inc; Christian Inc; Judaism Inc; etc etc :(

Return to “Society and culture”