Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Post by parrot » January 4, 2023, 4:49 pm

Paul, I sent the original phone photo to your email address.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 4, 2023, 5:42 pm

Tiz indeed a great photo Paul.... spitting image of her daughter 5555 , only missing a Derby county shirt for the perfect picture.

HNY mate

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

camps
udonmap.com

Post by camps » January 6, 2023, 10:54 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 4, 2023, 5:42 pm
Tiz indeed a great photo Paul.... spitting image of her daughter 5555 , only missing a Derby county shirt for the perfect picture.

HNY mate

DM
55555, Thank you Jon, HNY to yourself and Dao as well.. It just so happens Tuk makes these baskets in her spare time as well but uses a Crocodile Dundee size Matchet with precise accuracy for splitting the Bamboo..she's been going round muttering to herself about testing some theory going around of Claret n Blue all the way thru... Can't think what she's on about..!!!... Fish. N Chips Today ???... Take care ..

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 6, 2023, 11:33 am

anything Claret n Blue has got to be a big seller including baskets ..

Fish n Chips ..hope so would be nice alas busy as moving house today and this weekend mate.

DM

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 7, 2023, 3:49 am

camps wrote:
January 6, 2023, 10:54 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 4, 2023, 5:42 pm

HNY mate

DM
55555, Thank you Jon, HNY to yourself and Dao as well.. It just so happens Tuk makes these baskets in her spare time as well but uses a Crocodile Dundee size Matchet with precise accuracy for splitting the Bamboo..she's been going round muttering to herself about testing some theory going around of Claret n Blue all the way thru... Can't think what she's on about..!!!... Fish. N Chips Today ???... Take care ..
Claret and blue denotes an Aston Villa or West Ham athletic supporter, doesn't it?.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 7, 2023, 12:26 pm

There are things I see in Thailand that I'd like to see in the US.....just to see the reaction. Like:
3-6 people on a 125cc motorcycle.
Babies standing on the front seat of a moving vehicle.
Someone carrying a 4 meter piece of rebar or pvc pipe while driving a motorcycle.
A road worker operating a grader wearing flip flops.
I could go on.
Today's TIsiTtIltsitUS:
Attachments
20230107_104955.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 14, 2023, 10:52 am

I'm a fan of people who use new technology to get a leg up on the competition. These Big-C's on a bike are common in our village. They replaced the people who carried a mini-mart on a bamboo pole slung across their shoulders (still common in 1996, but no more). This girl has elevated her business to a new level: villagers from several kilometers around the kilo 18 area put in their orders for veggies, meat, fish, fruit, similar to putting in an order for Grab/Panda.
She makes the delivery and almost all her customers use a form of scan pay instead of cash. She said she still sells to an occasional random customer along her route, but says most make their orders online. If she is lacking in any of the ordered items, she can pick them up at the Kilo 18 neighborhood market.
Attachments
20230114_083316.jpg
20230114_083316.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 3011 times

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 15, 2023, 11:44 am

seems she's filling a need. I wonder how long it will be before there are a profusion of such veggie/produce delivery sidecar bikes?? Usually success draws copycats quickly..
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 15, 2023, 7:14 pm

Wish i had a baht fir every truck ive seen like the one in the link ..

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transpo ... sales-2022

Empty barrels , bales of hay , bananas, empty water tanks ,.. massively over loaded pick ups need to be treated with caution when following or passing ..

Izuzu still Thailands leading pick up by sales numbers .. followed by Toyota then Ford .with. Nissan , Mazda picking up.the scraps.

Dm.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2023, 8:22 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 15, 2023, 7:14 pm
Wish i had a baht fir every truck ive seen like the one in the link ..

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transpo ... sales-2022

Empty barrels , bales of hay , bananas, empty water tanks ,.. massively over loaded pick ups need to be treated with caution when following or passing ..

Izuzu still Thailands leading pick up by sales numbers .. followed by Toyota then Ford .with. Nissan , Mazda picking up.the scraps.

Dm.
From the linked article:
"Toyota has said the idea that everyone could easily dump gas-powered vehicles for electric ones, is simply not as feasible as activists and governments seem to imagine."

I doubt that's exactly what Toyota said. They were pioneers with the technology for hybrid power so I'm sure they aren't resting on their laurels or have thrown the renewables towel in just yet.

In petrol-power related news, I was reading recently that as far back as the 1970's, Exxon's own in-house scientific research had pretty much predicted todays climate crisis and the damage wrought of internal combustion engines. That revelation must be right up there with Volkswagen's bodge job on emissions.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 21, 2023, 2:55 pm

One of the oddities of Thai culture I’ve not heard told by the expat community is the propensity for Thais (usually less well-to-do rural Thais) to save a cow/water buffalo from the slaughterhouse. Our good friend had ransomed two water buffalo from inevitable slaughter, then paid a village herdsman to care for them. I asked him what he intended to do with the buffalo……..he said his good deed was done and there wasn’t anything else for him to do for the animal.
There are countless stories in Thai media about people who do this sort of thing. One poor lady found a baby water buffalo licking at her baby son who was swinging from a Thai hammock. When she realized the animal had escaped from a nearby slaughterhouse, she collected money from her friends to make merit and returned to the slaughterhouse to pay ransom for the animal.
https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/northeast/254906
I’m curious if any UM members have had a family member/friend/neighbor involved in such life-saving merit-making activities.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 21, 2023, 5:48 pm

Interesting. One-stop merit making?

Is this not akin to the national propensity for 'saving' bloody soi dogs? No intention to eat them or house them and counting on other people to feed the damn things.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 21, 2023, 6:23 pm

The one that always gets me is buying a bird from a cage and setting it free (knowing damn full well they are gonna recatch and re sell it a few hundred yards away. Same Same with buying fish and releasing them into the river (to get caught again in the nets set up just downstream out of sight) :roll: :-$

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 21, 2023, 8:58 pm

or going to a temple fair and giving away food, drinks or ice cream to make merit.. The wife and I did that one time, traveling to a temple over near Huay Luang dam. I fully expected to be handing the candy, food, drinks and ice cream out to smiling temple goers and kids. What I didn't expect was a mob of bag wielding a-holes to sweep up and clear off the table. the only thing they didn't get was the ice cream which we had in a silver bullet with dry ice. I imagine if they'd brought a shovel and a bucket they'd have cleaned that out to. I got angry, the wife gave me the old "jai yen yen" it all about the though that counts. If my thought had counted each of those bag carrying vultures would have had my foot up their ass..
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 21, 2023, 9:24 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
January 21, 2023, 8:58 pm
or going to a temple fair and giving away food, drinks or ice cream to make merit.. The wife and I did that one time, traveling to a temple over near Huay Luang dam. I fully expected to be handing the candy, food, drinks and ice cream out to smiling temple goers and kids. What I didn't expect was a mob of bag wielding a-holes to sweep up and clear off the table. the only thing they didn't get was the ice cream which we had in a silver bullet with dry ice. I imagine if they'd brought a shovel and a bucket they'd have cleaned that out to. I got angry, the wife gave me the old "jai yen yen" it all about the though that counts. If my thought had counted each of those bag carrying vultures would have had my foot up their ass..
Ah yes, I recall the same with Mrs tam at some new temple on top of a hill somewhere on Pattaya's dark side. That's when she had the restaurant we so loaded it all on the truck and set it all up on two tables. They said I couldn't park at the top as it's reserved for the vultures/visitors so I told her to call me when she needed picking up thinking I would nip off to the pub (honest). I was only about 10 minutes away when she called and said she was done!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 25, 2023, 3:46 pm

Back 20+ years ago we were having dinner somewhere in Nongsamrong......one of the owner's adult sons spoke reasonably good English.....but he was handicapped with scars from what appeared to be an accident on his neck. After getting to know the guy, I asked what happened. He said his family was doing some work on the house and needed a piece of rebar. He went off on his motorcycle to the nearest handiman store and bought a piece....but while returning home, he had an accident that caused the rebar to crush his throat.
I thought about that guy today, more than 20 years later, when I saw this guy weaving in and out of Phosri Rd traffic today holding a pane of glass. The photo isn't very clear, so you'll have to take my word for it.
Attachments
20230125_123250.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 15, 2023, 5:29 pm

The one on the bottom is a Toyota Fortezza, 2door, not a space cab, probably a 2.2 or 2.4L engine. The one on top is a Toyota Revo Prerunner, 4 door, probably 2.4L engine.
I've seen a number of Revo's outfitted as dump truck, full blown tow trucks, food trucks.
Things you probably don't see back in your home country.
Attachments
20230215_144337.jpg

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 15, 2023, 10:15 pm

NOT A PHOTO ..BUT ADVICE ..

Never let your next door Neybor cut your hair for a can of Chang .. especially when hes a retired air force officer blind in one eye .........................and already had 6 cans already ...... i will go get it sorted in the morning...

SUFC beanie out for one last time !!

DM

msa
udonmap.com

Post by msa » February 15, 2023, 10:43 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 15, 2023, 10:15 pm

Never let your next door Neybor cut your hair for a can of Chang .. especially when hes a retired air force officer blind in one eye .........................and already had 6 cans already ...... i will go get it sorted in the morning...

DM
No pictures? Really?
Don’t worry about tomorrow. Today is terrifying enough.
I never forget a face, but in your case I can do an exception.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 15, 2023, 11:56 pm

msa wrote:
February 15, 2023, 10:43 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 15, 2023, 10:15 pm

Never let your next door Neybor cut your hair for a can of Chang .. especially when hes a retired air force officer blind in one eye .........................and had 6 cans already ...... i will go get it sorted in the morning...

DM
No pictures? Really?
Absolutey no pics ... im.far too shy ..until i have visted my regular tat pom.spa tomorrow

Dm

Return to “Society and culture”