Uncle Ho

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Uncle Ho

Post by parrot » June 2, 2016, 1:12 pm

Ten or so years ago I visited the Ho Chi Minh site out on the road to Kutjap. It was built to ?replicate? the site that he supposedly visited way back in the 1960's. True or not......it reminded me of the many Vietnamese in Nakhon Phanom back in the 1970's (when I was stationed there) who were sympathetic to the North Vietnamese. As the stories were told to me, the people would meet up in a small village just north of NKP on a regular basis, collect donations, and make arrangements to have the money sent to North Vietnam. True or not, I can't say for sure. But there was never a question that a good deal of the population in NKP was made up of Vietnamese, whatever color they were. I did find it interesting that some of the ammo convoys (Thai trucks driven by Thais but full of American ammo) that were making their way to the American/Thai base would park their fully loaded trucks in the middle of town while they got a bite to eat.

A few days ago just after I ate my bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup (made the old-fashion way), I picked up some dry cleaning next door. I saw this calendar hanging on the owner's wall......containing photos of Ho's visit to Thailand back in the 1960's. It made me think back to the days when I was stationed in NKP. Some day, with a shot of Johnnie in me and a dictionary in my back pocket, I may visit some of the old-old timers on Vietnamese alley (just off SriChomCheun) and inquire about the 1960's...........now that President Obama has visited Vietnam and before the past is all forgotten.
Attachments
20160531_124419.jpg

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Uncle Ho

Post by pf-flyer » June 2, 2016, 1:41 pm

parrot wrote: I did find it interesting that some of the ammo convoys (Thai trucks driven by Thais but full of American ammo) that were making their way to the American/Thai base would park their fully loaded trucks in the middle of town while they got a bite to eat.
When I was stationed here in the early 70s. In the morning when I got off duty and I was riding my ten speed bike out from the main gate, it would be common to see a convoy of trucks loaded with 500 pound bombs parked along side of the road waiting to get on camp right here in Udorn. The old main gate to camp is still there. If you are going from the Military Hospital toward the Statue Traffic circle you turn left at the first traffic light after you pass the military hospital. When My wife and I were still learning to get around town we turned down that street about a year or so ago and as we approached the gate I said to my wife " OMG the Main Gate with the Udorn RTAFB letters is still here".
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

GT93
udonmap.com

Uncle Ho

Post by GT93 » June 3, 2016, 8:47 am

They have spent a lot of money developing the Ho Chi Minh site over the years parrot. The original "buildings" that you saw are still there but there's a modern museum kind of building there too now. There's been an attendant there every time I have visited. Our house is within about 5 of kilometres of the museum. They're very keen to tell visitors about Uncle Ho. He still has quite a fan club in Udon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Aafe5v6uk

I first came across it while riding a bicycle along Kut Chap Road about 12 years ago reading the Thai signs by the road. I read to myself Bann Ho Chi Minh in Thai. I thought what the hell and went to have a look. Reading some Thai helped me find out Uncle Ho had once been a local.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Udon Map
Admin

Uncle Ho

Post by Udon Map » June 3, 2016, 9:29 am

I was in Hanoi for five days a couple of years ago. Ho is very much still revered (nearly deified, IMO) there as the savior and father of the country.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Uncle Ho

Post by FrazeeDK » June 3, 2016, 10:49 am

Ho Chi Minh in his world-wide travels both lived and worked in a large number of countries including the U.S., the UK, France, Russia, China, India, and Thailand.. From his bio it looks like he was in Thailand from late 1927-1929.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Chi_Minh
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Uncle Ho

Post by parrot » June 3, 2016, 12:39 pm

I probably got that 1960's date wrong.........looking at some info on Thai websites, it looks like he wrote a letter in the 60's recounting his time in Thailand in 1930. Sorry about that.

Return to “Society and culture”