Thai Wedding, Village Style

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Thai Wedding, Village Style

Post by parrot » November 6, 2016, 7:32 pm

I've been to my share of Thai weddings and funerals over the years. Today's was the village variety, easily identifiable by the table setting........at 8 AM! The spirits were flowing freely by the time we got there.

I've always been intrigued by the Brahman priests at Thai ceremonies. All that I've asked have told me they've learned the trade from elders. For a part of today's ceremony, I was behind the window next to the Brahman priest and noticed the little boy sitting on the bench, hands in prayer.....and he was mouthing the words as the Brahman went into one of his deep chants. It was apparent he knew some of the words.....maybe not all. I pegged him to be a future Brahman priest. Sure enough, as the ceremony ended, they left together on a motorcycle.....probably a grandson.

I did notice this website advertising training for priests.......in case anyone's interested!!
http://www.xn--k3cvibj9bdn1czr.com/
Attachments
20161106_090607.jpg
20161106_081214.jpg
20161106_084024.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Wedding, Village Style

Post by stattointhailand » November 7, 2016, 7:31 pm

I know a few Udon residents that don't seem to need an excuse to have the "spirits flowing" by 8am :-"

Mind you doesn't seem like a bad job spec does it ...... finished work for the day at 9am :lol:

Return to “Society and culture”