Food Culture

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Food Culture

Post by parrot » October 10, 2017, 3:37 pm

I have vivid memories of stuffing boiled spinach or other veggies into my childhood pockets while seated at the dinner table. I can remember eating my first jalapeno pepper....it was the very first hot/spicy thing I ate in my life, and I was 19! I remember eating my first ever clove of fresh garlic, along with a thimble of white lightening and a chopstick full of steamed dumpling in Taiwan. Today, I can't imagine taking a vitamin pill......if I'm not getting my day's worth of vitamins from passion fruit, cantaloupe, bananas, raisins, apples, grapes, ginger, papaya, figs, kiwi, and a host of fresh (never canned or frozen) vegetables that I never thought I'd enjoy eating when I was a kid, well, my body must have worms. But I know it's next to impossible for that to happen as I have developed a taste for garlic, both fresh and sauteed. On our at least weekly trip to Uncle Mustache's beef lahb, next to the mosque, I usually devour 10 or so cloves of fresh garlic with the lahb. I've known a few Thais who eat even more veggies/fruit than I do, yet insist on buying expensive vitamin pills........I suppose because it's the thing to do....or maybe because the Amway salesperson convinces them it's a necessary part of their diet.
Quiet soggy day in the neighborhood.
Attachments
rps20171010_152256_784.jpg

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: Food Culture

Post by the-monk » October 10, 2017, 3:55 pm

Did your mother ever catch you stuffing your pockets with all kind of goodies ??? If yes.. then what !!!
You don t need to take the proposed Alzheimer test... Have a nice garlicky day..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 10, 2017, 4:20 pm

There were 6 boys in the family......mother and father both worked, set dinner on the table and told us we could get up when our plates were clean. And clean them, we did. Never a problem.

mac1966
udonmap.com

Post by mac1966 » October 10, 2017, 5:15 pm

What worries me about buying fruit and vegetables here is the amount of chemical exposure they've had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Society and culture”