The Little Piggy

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

The Little Piggy

Post by parrot » January 28, 2018, 3:17 pm

I was stationed in Taiwan back in the mid-70's.....lived in a suburb of Taipei and had to take an AF bus for a 45min commute to the top of Shulinkou mountain each day. On one of my early early morning rides to work, still dark outside, a motorcycle passed by.......and I saw a naked dead body slung across the back of the 100 or so cc bike. The bike passed by in a flash......most everyone was sleeping on the bus, so I was left mouth agape, wondering what sort of people the Chinese were. It was probably a good thing I didn't say anything, because only a few days later, same time/almost same place, another motorcycle passed by with another naked body slung across the back. Only this time, I saw that it was the naked dead body of a pig.....certainly on the way to the market. When you're half awake and it's dark outside, naked dead pigs, naked dead humans.......in a glimpse, there's not much difference.
Living overseas you get used to things like this......like the pork or beef lady slinging sides of meat at the fresh market. We've been eating market beef/pork for most of the 21 years we've been here....with no ill effects.
With all that said, if I saw a man pushing a shopping cart of freshly butchered pork into the Nongwahsaw market early in the morning......I might not even bat an eye. But back in the US?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/bus ... 208e30b8d3

felixcat
udonmap.com

Re: The Little Piggy

Post by felixcat » January 28, 2018, 5:34 pm

So many in the US have been so brain washed and transformed into SJW/ snowflakes.
When they see a picture like that , they immediately get triggered. "That is so cruel, That is so painful, We must stop these slaughters"!!! But, if you package it up "neatly" with a "Family Pack" sticker, then its OK.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 28, 2018, 7:35 pm

Nice story Parrot, saw the same thing in Korea in 1968 except the pig was on the back of a very heavy made bicycle. As for the meat from outdoor market, wife gets her sea food and pork there, but I prefer mine from Big C etc. By the way I was at CCK 70 to 71

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 29, 2018, 7:37 am

Saw the "pillion pig" in Cambodia as well, both alive and dead. I suspect pigs are still taken to slaughter on motorbikes at the wife's village but I've only seen it done with pickup trucks.

Have to agree, when we noticed the dead pig on the motorbike near Seim Reap both my wife and I did a double-take not sure at first of what we were looking at.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » January 29, 2018, 10:26 am

parrot wrote:
January 28, 2018, 3:17 pm
We've been eating market beef/pork for most of the 21 years we've been here....with no ill effects.
With all that said, if I saw a man pushing a shopping cart of freshly butchered pork into the Nongwahsaw market early in the morning......I might not even bat an eye. But back in the US?
When I lived directly opposite the market in Nong Wai, except for Buddha days it was a daily occurence to be woken up at 3am by the squealing of the pigs being slaughtered, then about an hour later the butcher would pass by with a couple of carcasses towed by his motorbike, by 5 o'clock my wife would be over there buying the meat , still warm from body heat. It doesn't come any fresher than that, even the flies aren't awake yet .Theres no doubt about it although the taste doesn't alter, the texture definitely loses something by freezing .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Return to “Society and culture”