Marriage and Graduation

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Marriage and Graduation

Post by parrot » March 25, 2018, 10:52 pm

Andrew Biggs should be required reading for any expat trying to make sense of Thai culture.
I like his comment about the teddy bear, but he forgot to mention the helium balloons that usually come with the ceremony
https://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/s ... al-reality

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Marriage and Graduation

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 26, 2018, 12:27 am

I know about the wedding ceremony with the helium balloons and stuffed plush toys but not about the graduation ceremony. It was interesting reading. Thanks for making the article available.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 26, 2018, 4:44 am

Now I know why the missus's sister's call me brother in law, and the wife calls me Husband, even though we havent been within coowee of a church, or temple. Old Papa has tied more than a ball of string around my old wrist

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 26, 2018, 7:26 am

I've been to many weddings here , the village never ceases to surprise me ,the best one was were the groom invited me out after the string around the wrist's , to go out partying with his mates , without the bride ,parents or anyone else from the ceremony for that matter, the graduation ,yes i knew about the rehearsal but not the ceremony previous to even sitting the exam ,And yes Falang no understand i get a lot , funny as ,,,,

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 26, 2018, 8:34 am

parrot wrote:
March 25, 2018, 10:52 pm
Andrew Biggs should be required reading for any expat trying to make sense of Thai culture.
I like his comment about the teddy bear, but he forgot to mention the helium balloons that usually come with the ceremony
Excellent find parrot , made for a fun read and more head shaking Thainess is thrust upon me .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » March 26, 2018, 3:16 pm

parrot wrote:
March 25, 2018, 10:52 pm
Superb! The guy is always a great read.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 26, 2018, 7:43 pm

A few weeks ago I attended my wife's friend's graduation ceremony at Rajabhat University in Udon. She actually graduated in 2559 (2016) with her master's degree, but the queue is so long for having a member of the royal family to hand out the certificates that they were only now able to have the ceremony. Until this time the students were only able to have a copy of the graduation certificate to present for their various needs as they relate to employment or getting a raise in salary if they are already a civil servant, etc. I am still shaking my head at this one.

Another friend of my wife has had three of the "village marriage ceremonies" to three different farangs in the past few years, so I have had the honor of standing in line to tie those silly strings on her wrist three separate times. Chuckle, chuckle! It's hard to keep a straight face knowing that she is conning one guy after another and none of the marriages are legal. However, in each case the groom thought it was a ceremony that sealed him for life. Lucky for them it was all just a big show with no real substance to it.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » March 26, 2018, 11:55 pm

Hi, semperfiguy I quote, "...tie those silly strings on her wrist". Don't be too disparaging, in the west it's an engagement ring that serves the same purpose! :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 28, 2018, 6:41 pm

I never hear much differentiation between a man and woman merely living together, doing the string tying ceremony, or even doing a temple ceremony.. Bottom line is that if they don't go down to the Amphoe and sign the paperwork they're not legally married although most of the time they'll be referred to as married.. My oldest married nephew (56) was "married" with no official document for nearly 20 years.. When offered a job in the village bureaucracy where the "Nai" told him it would look better if he went to the Amphoe and got officially married, he did...
Dave

Return to “Society and culture”