220v vs. 120v

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

220v vs. 120v

Post by parrot » August 16, 2019, 4:46 pm

I attended Catholic primary school then a seminary (high school) for 4 years. Despite having nuns that would throttle you with a ruler or worse if you misbehaved, never in those years did I encounter anything close to the meditative state of a group of Thai students. I've been to Thai schools where the students practice 15 minutes or so of meditation each day......usually with a teacher standing behind with a short stick......just in case someone gets out of line. I've watched as most every student is completely motionless during that time......one or two will open their eyes or scratch themselves or fidget.....but they're the exception.
I know the Thai students don't line up for their daily dose of adderall like a lot of kids do back in the US......and as pot isn't quite legal yet, I know the kids aren't having their meals laced with the stuff.......but there's something in their dna that differentiates them from their American counterparts. for good bad or otherwise.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: 220v vs. 120v

Post by FrazeeDK » August 16, 2019, 5:47 pm

young kids.. still in the follow the leader mindset.. Older kids with years of Smart Phone use probably would go nuts being away from their phone for 15 minutes....
Dave

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 16, 2019, 10:08 pm

Discipline before education ... having compliant children is better than having smart, ambitious, inquisitive children.

How long before they start carrying around little red books and recite daily the 12 values of their dear leader?

Oh wait...
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 17, 2019, 9:27 am

In typical zazen style sitting meditation the stick is not to punish, but rather to awaken. If a practitioner starts to nod off a light tap on the shoulder awakens the practitioner who should respond with, "Thank you, teacher."

Return to “Society and culture”