Asian Squat

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Asian Squat

Post by parrot » November 13, 2019, 4:42 pm

On my way to a Vietnamese noodle slurp this morning, I passed an elderly man squatting on the side of the road. He looked like he was waiting for a ride. It reminded me of my frequent waits for a Baht bus from 'downtown' NKP back to the base during the war daze. I'd be standing there eating a bag of freshly grilled monkey balls (as GIs called them) while most all the Thais who were waiting were doing the Asian squat. I finally caught on to the posture and found it easy enough to do and more relaxing than standing on two feet in the hot sun.
I can still do it after all these years......catch myself in a squat while waiting for a catfish to bite in our backyard........the only difference after all these years is I need a bit of help holding on to something to get back up.

When my wife gave birth 45 years ago it was like popping a bottle of champagne. In labor one minute, baby out of the oven the next. The doctor credited her ease with the birth to her daily squat while making papaya salad.

I've challenged my 3 older and 2 younger brothers to do the squat, flatfooted......only one of my younger, more fit brothers could do it
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... at/555716/
https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstool ... oy-stances

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Asian Squat

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 13, 2019, 6:39 pm

The squat position always amused me ..but i was never slim.enough tonget in that position let alone get uagain ..it aint fir the more rotund amongst us

Also.a common roadside scene in india .. the indian squat ..sadly it usually means the person in question is having a sh8t .. n thats simply not cricket

Dm.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 15, 2019, 8:03 pm

ah yes, the somtam squat here in Thailand, the kimchi squat in Korea... I can still do it but don't find it comfortable and can't sit there endlessly.. It is a source of amusement to see your average Thai drop almost bonelessly into such a squat and sit for a long time..
Dave

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 23, 2020, 12:52 pm

Reminds me of an old farang friend (RIP) who loved socializing with the Thais, especially at Thai eating places that had no tables or chairs. He had a plastic chair that he cut the legs off to about 6 inches long. Everywhere he went the chair was in the back of his pickup truck. The Thais knew that no way could he squat and then get back up himself. He could sit in that chair for hours with his legs crossed right in front of his chair.

He knew that pointing his feet at anyone was not polite or accepted.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » April 23, 2020, 1:40 pm

i see it often out in the sticks ,all the people squatting whilst someone holding court ,,agriculture or village discussions, i used to join them , as with most Thai discussions they will bounce around the houses before they get down to the real reason they are holding the meeting , alas i can no longer hold the position as arfer in knee and ankle remind me , but it was much better than standing there or sitting on the floor for any length of time ,most people (thai) much older than i can still accomplish this along with (touch your toes ) knees straight and palms of hands onto the floor with ease ,

Return to “Society and culture”