Chinese New Year

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Chinese New Year

Post by parrot » January 23, 2020, 1:33 pm

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Chinese New Year....year of the rat. Today I strolled along Makkaeng Rd, across from the old fresh market. There are several stores that sell a wide variety of essentials for the celebration. If anyone notices an uptick in the PM2.5 levels over the next few days it'll most likely be from firecrackers (by the thousands) and firepots used to burn money/cars/clothes/mobile phones (fully charged)/rolex watches/gold bars for their ancestors. Of course, all the 'valuables' are paper.
I watched several people buy such things.....clothes seemed to be one of the more popular items along with stacks of money/gold. A sign that generations change with the times.....this snazzy shirt with gold watch and smartphone.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Chinese New Year

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 23, 2020, 6:40 pm

Dao commented that for what ever reason this years Chinese New Year celebrations n events in Udon etc seem a bit more scaled down than in previous years .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 23, 2020, 9:13 pm

Always liked the New Year parade, used to watch it from in front of the old Udon Hotel. Now wife changes trip time to Thailand to May/June time frame.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 23, 2020, 11:40 pm

Beijing Has Cancelled ALL Celebrations there for The New Year to Try and stop the Spread Of the Coronavirus.....

Return to “Society and culture”