Thai Patron Saint

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Thai Patron Saint

Post by parrot » January 14, 2022, 3:26 pm

Way back when, prior to boarding an unairconditioned bus from NKP to Udon, my wife made a stop at the city-center temple. As my wife made her offering of incense, there was an unidentified man doing the same.
On the bus, sun just set, the bus driver was barreling along a 2 lane road and tried to turn on his headlights.....without luck. He fumbled with some wiring under the dash, but still no lights. Finally, he bent half over, still barreling down the road, to try and find the suspect wire. It was then that I realized this was the same guy we saw at the temple. He drove like a maniac. I was convinced then, and still am, that some people put all their faith in their St Christopher amulet (the Thai version) that they carry with them or have in their vehicle.
Today's article in Thai Rath pretty much confirms that the practice is still observed by some. No doubt, there'll be dozens lining up at the amulet shops around town looking for copies of the Luang Pho Phibun amulet.
https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/northeast/2287692 (it auto translates pretty well)

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Patron Saint

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 14, 2022, 9:23 pm

Phibun was a longtime politician who was a Prime Minister, Dictator, esteemed military leader and even has an Isaan town named after him, Rak Phibun. One of his most controversial moves was to 'advise' the populace to hang his picture in their homes rather than a photo of a royal personage. He was a very interesting man. In the mid-'50s, Phibun, Police Chief Phao and General Sarit struggled for power with Sarit emerging as the strongman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaek_Phibunsongkhram
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » January 15, 2022, 12:43 pm

i see chinese banners going up. as we're delving
into culture . feb 1st is start of new yr( chinese

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » January 16, 2022, 2:30 pm

. . . and udonthanis founding anniversary ? jan
18th ? possibly subdued celebrations this yr
im a little fuzzy on all these local customs🙄

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 16, 2022, 3:40 pm

With all these holidays coming up I expect them to announce what days they are gonna close the bars soon :-$

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » January 16, 2022, 6:55 pm

does anyone know ? shortly after 10pm last nite
trucks with flashing red lights were shooing everyone off downtown to go home. incl sampan

Return to “Society and culture”