Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

Udon Thani clubs and organizations
dighambara

Re: Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

Post by dighambara » October 4, 2010, 10:17 pm

Frans,

The American Legion is open to US servicemen. I will research to see itf there have been exceptions. Could you give me a few specifics; time frame, unit, location, branch of service, etc.

Mike

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » October 5, 2010, 1:28 pm

Hello Mike,

As i told, the time i lived in Angeles City, there where non American service man in the American Legion Post. All have seviced in elite troops. Nationality's from Belgium, 'France', Etc.

About your quistion about "time frame, unit, location, branch of service, etc." Have a look at my 36 years old Légion Etrangère avatar :D But iff realy necesary i could send you a PM with more details.

I,m back in Udon November, so we could meet there?

Your truly,

Frans.

dighambara

Post by dighambara » October 5, 2010, 3:14 pm

Frans,

My research uncovered this statement:

Eligibility for American Legion membership is limited to those honorably discharged veterans and current personnel of the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or Air Force who served at least one day of active duty during any of the following periods:
• World War I: April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918
• World War II: December 7, 1941, to December 31, 1946 (Note: U.S. Merchant Marine
eligibility runs December 7, 1941, to August 16, 1945).
• Korean War: June 25, 1950, to January 31, 1955
• Vietnam War: February 28, 1961, to May 7, 1975
• 1982 Lebanon War and Operation Urgent Fury (Grenada): August 24, 1982, to July 31, 1984
• Operation Just Cause (Panama): December 20, 1989, to January 31, 1990
• Gulf War (Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom):
August 2, 1990, through present, and continuing until cessation of hostilities as determined by the U.S.
government. As such, open eligibility thus applies to all current active-duty service members.

It clearly states that members must have served in the US military forces. If you served in the US Armed Forces or merchant marines during the noted time periods, then you are eligible.

Mike

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » October 6, 2010, 5:22 pm

Hello Mike,

Members of non served American soldiers where able to apply fore a membership in the 2 American Legion post in Angeles City (1 on Mc Arthur Highway, 1 on Field Avenue)

After membership the where allowed to enter the restaurant with excellent food and the bar, where it was nice to stay with friends. The where invited to party’s, Etc.

The could Not have "official" support in problem matters as visas, housing matters, legal assistance, Etc.

The where Not able to change there pension check on a very good rate , as American ex service man could do ;-), Etc.

Maybe there is a miss understatement due to my lack in English?

Frans

dighambara

Post by dighambara » October 6, 2010, 7:28 pm

Frans,

It sounds like an 'Auxilliary'. Both the VFW and Legion are allowed to form Auxilliaries, but they typically are wive's clubs.

Of course any facilities operated by the organization could be open to the public...

Mike

treehugger
udonmap.com

Post by treehugger » October 7, 2010, 8:53 am

As a Brit, could someone explain to me the significance of 'Veterans of Foreign Wars'? Have the Americans been fighting some that were at home? :-k

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » October 7, 2010, 2:09 pm

Hi treehugger,

Yes the have.

In the years between 1775-1783.

Massachusetts Bay
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Pennsylvanie
Maryland
Virginia
North-Carolina&South-Caroline
Georgia

Against the british :-"

Hello Mike,

Indeed i have phone friend and he is membered together with other non American as a "Auxilliary"

But the found out, afther close examination, with the help of there wife's and G/F, to be not a woman ;)

Frans.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » October 7, 2010, 10:44 pm

Just looked at the vfwpac.org site and they are endorsing the non serving Ron Klein over the kick ass and honored LTC(r) Allen West (from my old outfit the 4th ID). WTF is this world comming to. Evidentally statist politics trumps cohesion at the VFW. If there were ever a case for absentia for the VFW on a political canidates endorsement this was it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 7, 2010, 11:20 pm

It might have something to do with his record in Iraq.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » October 7, 2010, 11:47 pm

Parrot, I happen to think what he did in Iraq was well .......Hooaaa (if its about busting the cap next to the hajjies head during the battlefield interogation of the clown that was attempting to assisanate him) and he is my kind of guy. Simply put I think the VFW needs to support vets over non vets or just stay out of it.

treehugger
udonmap.com

Post by treehugger » October 8, 2010, 8:47 am

Frans wrote:Hi treehugger,

Yes the have.

In the years between 1775-1783.

Massachusetts Bay
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Pennsylvanie
Maryland
Virginia
North-Carolina&South-Caroline
Georgia

Against the british :-" .

Hi Frans,

They weren't Americans they were British Rebels (Terrorists is today's parlance). Anyway, there can't be many of them alive today!!! :shock: But they wouldn't be Veternas of Domestic Wars, would they?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 8, 2010, 9:29 am

I'd be prone to think that the VFW supports whichever candidate is best for its longterm programs rather than support the candidate that has no qualms about firing a gun in close proximity to a prisoner's head to make him talk. If the VFW supported prior military candidates over those who have no military experience, we'd end up with a bunch of Alexander Haigs in control of the government.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » October 8, 2010, 11:27 am

The VFW should vocus on bringing Vets together to drink cheap beer and enjoy a common bond. DC politics, male jello wrestling and bat sh$t crazy things like supporting a non serving, non vet over a decorated well qualified vet and actual member of the VFW is friggin looney.

phayakk12
udonmap.com

Post by phayakk12 » October 8, 2010, 1:00 pm

As a Member of the Veterans of Foreingn Wars not the Very Fat Womens, here is just the basics the members have to be veterans that have served in a time of war. Yes the agenda behind it is to keep fighting in DC for veterans benifits. These meetings are members only. On the social side the canteen and any other VFW sponsered event can be attended by non members signed in by a member. Tim

BarnicaleBob
udonmap.com

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

Post by BarnicaleBob » November 15, 2011, 12:32 pm

Phayakk12 gave a good description of some of the basics. I would like to add that one of the reasons the VFW was formed was to assist war veterans in obtaining medical benefits for injuries and disabilities they may have incurred during service to their county during time of war and for benefits to the widows and children of those who gave their lives for their country. It is because of pressure from the VFW that the Veterans Administration came into being.
With this in mind, VFW posts throughout Thailand have been a great asset for retired veterans and their families living in Thailand. There have been many cases where the veteran has passed on and the service officers from VFW posts have helped the widows to find benefits that they were unaware existed. An example would be a VA benefit that provides an basic income to widows of war veterans that have no other source of income. Unlike social security, this VA benefit does not require the widow to have had lived in the U.S. or to have been married for 10 or more years to be eligible. The basic requirement is that they were married for a year or more to the veteran. There are also benefits for any children under 18 or under 25 if still attending school.

old_expat

Post by old_expat » December 1, 2011, 1:10 pm

dighambara wrote:Over the years, I have met American Veterans who had not served 'in theater' in wartime, so could not join the VFW.

However, those folks are eligible to join the American Legion.

Membership in both organizations is possible and organizing a Legion Post, may enhance the local VFW Post 10249, with each organization serving as an 'auxilliary' to the other.

Therefore, anyone interested in forming an American Legion post, should contact [email protected]...

Minimum membership requirement is 15 persons, so pass this information to all your veteran friends....
I find this fascinating. Upon return from 6 months TDY deployment in an SF "A"-Team camp southwest of Pleiku, Vietnam; we were not allowed to join the American Legion Club in Okinawa. Reason, "Had not served in a combat zone." :D

I am, despite having missed every meeting in the past ten years or so, a life member of the Udon VFW. Tommy was quite an arm twister. ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 11, 2022, 6:35 pm

This thread sorely in need of an update:
The local VFW post, AFTN Memorial Post 10249 meets on the second Thursday of each month at 10:00hrs at the Charoen Hotel. Meetings generally last less than 1 hour. Today's meeting, for example, had 19 members show up......Laos, Nakon Phanom, Sakhon Nakhon, and all points Udon/Nongbualamphu represented. The Post service officer is trained in all aspects of veterans claims/VA benefits, Foreign Medical Program procedures, widow benefits, etc. The Post recently held an Independence Day party for members and their families/guests. We will soon be visiting two small schools to distribute a total of $1000 worth of school supplies.
The recently passed PACT Act (see link below) is the most significant expansion of benefits and services for toxic exposed veterans in more than 30 years.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -veterans/
Our Post website is at vfw10249.org Next meeting is scheduled for 8 Sept at 10:00hrs at the Charoen Hotel

LU
udonmap.com

Post by LU » August 11, 2022, 9:52 pm

Thank you, Parrot, for this update. Only yesterday did I receive an email from the VA subject " PACT Act Is Now Law, 23 New Presumptives, Agent Orange, Burn Pits. " Although most of my previous contacts with the VA have been less than helpful and downright discouraging it prompted me to try to file a claim for the health issues I've had as an apparent result of daily exposure to defoliants used at both Udorn and Korat RTAFB's some 50 years ago. I hope others in a similar situation to mine will try to obtain the help too. It may be our final opportunity.

Return to “Clubs & Organizations”