Farang in Aek Udon Hotel needs Blood

General Udon Thani topics only!
jingjai
udonmap.com

Farang in Aek Udon Hotel needs Blood

Post by jingjai » June 8, 2008, 10:49 am

I just received this info in an e-mail:
[quote][/quote]Post members and friends,

Our Service officer was informed this morning (Sunday, June 7) that a Farang that is in Intensive Care in Aek Udon Hospital needs blood transfusions as soon as possible, as his condition is very poor to critical. The patient's blood type is A Negative.

If you have this blood type, or know someone who has this blood type, and wish to donate blood to the patient, please get in touch with Aek Udon Hospital. As of this time the individuals name is not known.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » June 8, 2008, 10:56 am

Sorry mate, AB+ here
Gurgle, Gurgle...

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 8, 2008, 11:21 am

I am A plus, A minus is a rare blood group and asians for sure do not have that group type.
Hope all turns out well in finding a supply even by contacting all hospitals especially Bangkok then fly the blood up to Udon.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 8, 2008, 11:56 am

I am O+ Hopefully there is someone out there reading that is able to help

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 8, 2008, 12:13 pm

i was under the impression that type -O- can donate to all, but couldn't receive.
There are four types of blood-O, A, B, and AB-and each type can be positive or negative, referred to as the Rh factor. In an emergency, anyone can receive type O blood, regardless of his or her own blood type.
possibly outdated info.

http://www.healthywomen.org/healthtopic ... ransfusion

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » June 8, 2008, 12:17 pm

Well a bit of an update one of the guys from the ride list is down donating now O negative I think.

it's nice to see that we can still come together, when it needs to be. I got my first message from the VFW, and the seecond to my surprise from my ride list.

If I get anymore info I will post it.

This really restored my faith in a community that I thought was falling apart.

UdornLA
udonmap.com

Post by UdornLA » June 8, 2008, 12:33 pm

then he can use my O+, have to check and see if i'm available to donate, meds out of system and all that. no barfining, no border/trekking, malaria risk. may make donor list a bit shy, but if monogonous and vice free, let's get down there and help out, we may be in the same shoes someday.

oops, check that, don't think i can, though will check, i have hep b antibodies, which may be presumed to be exposure rather than vaccine. hopefully not.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 8, 2008, 12:49 pm

a chart on this site of compatible blood for donation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

Al
udonmap.com

Post by Al » June 8, 2008, 2:54 pm

I am A neg unfortunately I am in the UK at the moment or I would have donated it for him, makes me wonder what would happen if I needed blood in an emergency

Al.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 8, 2008, 3:48 pm

Al wrote:I am A neg unfortunately I am in the UK at the moment or I would have donated it for him, makes me wonder what would happen if I needed blood in an emergency

Al.
Al, my stepfather has blood group O minus and has a plastic band around his wrist to warn in an emergency of his rare blood group and to accept Plasma only unless same blood group O minus is in stock at a hospital.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 8, 2008, 4:24 pm

Sorry,I cannot donate,due to me being Diabetic.....But best of luck,Anyway....

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » June 8, 2008, 4:53 pm

Ok,
I have O - ( o negative)

I can give blood to everybody, but I can get only blood from O-

I give every six months blood to a hospital in Korat.

I just gave blood 2 months ago.

1) I will ask the hospital if it is no problem for me to give blood sooner?

2) I am not in Phimai now, but if it is really necessary I will drive to Udon Thani to give blood.

So Bump, if you have more info about the urgency and need, please let me know.

Iceman
udonmap.com

Post by Iceman » June 8, 2008, 5:26 pm

Please let us know if still needed. I have O-.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 8, 2008, 5:45 pm

:oops:

donthani
udonmap.com

Post by donthani » June 8, 2008, 6:10 pm

hope he is ok , do we know who this guy is ?? :( :(

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 8, 2008, 6:52 pm

O neg can give to anyone, but must only have O neg given.
o neg is the international blood doner, I am O neg and have given my pint. it is true in AEK hospital only one worker is neg and that is not O or A, hence problem.
I think he is going to be alright as far as I know he is a 63 yr old frenchman, who apparantly has a blood disorder which requires a transfusion. How he got it I have no idea, but his wife is an ex-student of a freind of mine who alerted me to his plight.
Blood is being brought up from bangkok.
it is something we need to address as many farangs will be incompatible with thai blood stocks. I feel that I will go to AEK and start asking wether a register of farangs and their blood groups would be helpful then they can call us if they need us. as blood itself cannot be stored for long.
Guns

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 8, 2008, 8:13 pm

The Thai Red Cross do have data base for this , but its always needs updating etc.

There was also a call for this blood last week as well.

Steve3
udonmap.com

Post by Steve3 » June 9, 2008, 5:18 am

wazza wrote:The Thai Red Cross do have data base for this , but its always needs updating etc.

There was also a call for this blood last week as well.
I'm O negative and will be living half-time in Udon in the future.
Does anyone know of a list locally where I might register when I arrive back in town the first week of July?

Karma, Do unto others, etc.
It's the right thing to do.

~Steve3

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 9, 2008, 6:26 am

Guns482 wrote:
Blood is being brought up from bangkok.
it is something we need to address as many farangs will be incompatible with thai blood stocks. I feel that I will go to AEK and start asking wether a register of farangs and their blood groups would be helpful then they can call us if they need us. as blood itself cannot be stored for long.
A good call Guns if it is possible to register farangs here in Udon,because I go to AEK Udon for everything they know my blood group already.
Must admit did not realise so many O neg farang here,as it is not the common type of blood,and of course, blood can only be kept as you say for a set period of time.

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » June 9, 2008, 2:05 pm

Yes, good idea Guns, I'm one of the rarer groups, B Rh Neg, and I would be willing to register! :D

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”