Mazda Fighter

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
bigtilly
udonmap.com

Mazda Fighter

Post by bigtilly » January 20, 2006, 4:57 pm

Hi,

We have been looking around at various pick up trucks, comparing prices etc, & the Mazda Fighter looks to be excellent value for money. Have any forumites ever owned one or know anything about them? I know that they are made in conjunction with Ford & I never was a big Ford fan, but maybe I could be swayed!!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 20, 2006, 8:23 pm

I think they are more Mazda than Ford so shouldn't be a problem if your not a Ford fan, they are all assembled in Thailand, and shipped around the world. FORD/MAZDA same company. I have experianced both the ford and mazda, only in uk both no big problems with either. But the 2.5td engines are a bit unrefined and are not the quitest engines ,ecomomy around 25miles/gallon,not sure what conversionto litres/KLMH, the Izusu 3.0td and Toyota 3.0td are far far better,more power and better economy,and IMHO better looking.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » January 21, 2006, 11:07 am

The Ford and Mazda are both due for some kind of update this year so you may well get the old model cheaply.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » January 21, 2006, 12:43 pm

Mazda pickups are not the popular choice in Thailand I'd say Toyota, Isuzu, and then Nissan. I agree with Beer Monkey the 3 litre lump is much better. We have a Nissan Frontier never lets us down, in the UK it's a big seller but called the Navarra.

Tony
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 21, 2006, 4:18 pm

Prenders88 wrote:Mazda pickups are not the popular choice in Thailand I'd say Toyota, Isuzu, and then Nissan.
Tony
And if you factor in more competition for servicing, hence cheaper, much easier resale at a higher price etc, perhaps the Mazda is not such a bargain even if cheaper up front.

I know its a different topic, but heck thats what happens here :lol: . Having had a pickup, I found it pretty pointless unless you truly do need the utility every day. The cheaper to buy/tax small cab versions are very harshly sprung and a bad drive on the roads. The big cab versions are fine on the roads within limits, but are so "tarted" up usually, that I would not care to take one anywhere that you could not take a saloon car anyway. I just now borrow a pickup if I need the utility, and hire is an easy/cheap option if that is not available to you.

My/Our car mysteriously morphes into an Isuzu pickup if any of the family are going on a long road trip anywhere, usually without so much as a "by your leave" :roll:

Not what bigtilly asked...I know :oops:

John

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » January 22, 2006, 12:19 pm

. Having had a pickup, I found it pretty pointless unless you truly do need the utility every day.
John,a few more kids and you will be begging for a sealed Carryboy to stick them in on a long journey.It's heaven. :)

bigtilly
udonmap.com

Post by bigtilly » January 23, 2006, 9:21 am

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies. Having looked at the Mazda last week, I thought I would see how many I saw on the road & they are like snowstorms around here! Not many about. Enough said really.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 23, 2006, 3:49 pm

So is it going to be Toyota or Izusu,or Nissan ???? :-k
Can You Dig It Dug.?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » January 24, 2006, 10:03 am

The new Mitsubishi Triton seems popular around here,although to me it looks like a bad "cut and shunt" job.Anyone else think it looks like two different vehicles welded together?

bigtilly
udonmap.com

Post by bigtilly » January 24, 2006, 10:16 am

Well Beer Monkey, It's looking more likely to be to be Isuzu. They have the looks & they are very popular, which of course speaks volumes.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » January 24, 2006, 12:24 pm

From what I understand, Isuzu has only a 1 year warranty - at least they did when I looked at them.

I have the Mazda - 2 years old now. Never a bit of trouble with it. What appealed to me about the Mazda was that it has the "rear access system" - which means that it is basically a 4 door, but taxed only as a 2 door, which means that you still have a full sized bed. The back doors open backwards, which means that you don't have to slide the front seat forward to get into the back seat. Back seat is narrow and small - but for Thais riding back there it is not a problem.

Doesn't really have enough "guts" for me, but it is something that one can get used to. Paid 530K for it, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. For service I take it to Mitsubishi - they own Mazda, and also Ford. (Charoensri Family) From what I understand though, Mazda and Ford don't make the rear access system anymore though.

Ride is good though.

Doc
Ain't Easy Being Me

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 24, 2006, 4:11 pm

Doc wrote: Paid 530K for it
Doc
Doc, I take it that (for that) it was a used car. How old was it & was it a private sale or did you use a show room somewhere??

Mark, I have not seen one of the Mitsubishi Triton's in the UK, so the first couple I saw in Udon convined me that there must be a basic braking fault with either the drivers or the vehicles.. :D it still seems a bit of a strange design idea to me (have they employed some French designers??) but if it is as good as most Mitsubishi are they I certainly wouldn't refuse one!!!

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 24, 2006, 4:40 pm

Isuzu's warranty is either 3 (maybe even 5 years) or 100,000km.

I bought new and mine was only 530,000 too

No complaints at all with it - well happy :)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 24, 2006, 5:29 pm

New mitsubishi is available in uk, and i think it looks ok-ish it,s one of those one's that grow on you ,price in uk ฃ13600-20000 plus vat 17.5% there is also a new Ford truck out soon the 4-trac and that looks superb, Izusu,toyota,,nissan,mitsi all seem to be available with a two door system, but i find that most thais prefer to travel in the most comfortable area of the pick-up in the back of coarse :|
price for Izusu in uk ฃ15000-18500 plus the dreaded at 17.5% also available in auto. if i was buying one would be a toyota vigo or Izusu roadeo . but probably end up with Honda Dream and side car :shock:

I presume above makes with the variations are also available in Thailand.
as in uk most of new truck imports are coming from Thailand. :)
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 24, 2006, 8:16 pm

Toyota Vigo is available here - has been for a year. Starting price is just under 500,000, that is the very base model with black plastic bumpers and steel wheels.

Isuzu here are branded D-Max (SX, SLX, and Hi -Lander) I forget what their base model is called - spark I think. They recently brought out a new engine and minor cosmetic alterations and of course the price difference was not minor - it went up ! Cannot say what the price is now - sorry

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » January 24, 2006, 9:44 pm

Isuzu Rodeo? I've been driving mine here in the south US for almost five years with very few problems, nothing at all major (yet, anyway) and would not hesitate to buy another Isuzu product again, in Thailand or wherever. The seven year warranty on power train is a hard one to beat, too. =D>

This is from a native Detroiter, btw. :D

Doc
udonmap.com

For Bob Helm

Post by Doc » January 24, 2006, 11:42 pm

Bought it new in March, 2003 from the Mazda dealer in Udon.

I have discovered that a Mazda is extremely easy to train: It has been able to find its way home when I was totally pissed on every occasion. :lol:
Ain't Easy Being Me

yorkman
udonmap.com

Re: For Bob Helm

Post by yorkman » January 25, 2006, 3:07 am

Doc wrote:Bought it new in March, 2003 from the Mazda dealer in Udon.

I have discovered that a Mazda is extremely easy to train: It has been able to find its way home when I was totally pissed on every occasion. :lol:
Ahh...I have a Land Rover like that in the UK; its a shame about the price in Thailand (4.5M Baht :yikes:, cos of the import tax)

Toyota's are not bad in Thailand (being a more advanced and intelligent breed) from a training point of view, so I understand from a "friend"

John

Buom Pouy
udonmap.com

Post by Buom Pouy » January 25, 2006, 12:36 pm

It must be the Thai Breeding my Holden kept taking me to the nearest set of red and blue flashing lights. :toilet:

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”