Insulation

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Dakoda
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by Dakoda » July 29, 2005, 4:34 pm

Before I start looking, I know some of you have built houses here, so I was wondering about insulation. Did you use any, if so what and what is available in the Udon area! Besides saving baht on air, it should cut down on the noise problem. 8) dogs! :x

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 29, 2005, 6:33 pm

Dakoda, you can find various insulation products at Global House and Home Mart on the ring road; they have product information sheets which my wife could read but I couldn

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 29, 2005, 11:20 pm

besides the overhead insulation mentioned, i've never noticed wall insulation. but may i strongely suggest a double wall on house, actually not that much more expensive, and worth every baht. i did it in my one room and regret not doing the whole house, or whatever is exposed to the sun that way.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 30, 2005, 6:48 am

LA, can you explain the double wall? Is it the pouring of two concrete walls with something between? In the states we have this pink or blue Styrofoam like panels which is used with concrete. I am not looking to build new, but am going to look into an addition, and insulating the overhead areas.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 30, 2005, 10:48 am

double wall is simply that 2 sets of block. as you know or maybe not, the blocks here are thin, and i've not noticed wall insulation as in the states. in stated, you wood frame, with insulation, then gypsum board or what ever for interior surface. on outer surface, again, more insulation, and/or brick or stone face. here, it's concrete post then a line of block, which will leave post exposed whether in or out, usuall in the interior or house. and the block will radiate heat like you wouldn't imagine. inside a block house can be 10 degrees hotter than out, i'm sure some thai shake their heads and laugh at the expense and trouble of building a house that is hotter than good old wood. stopping to realize they have to replace theirs every 5 years because no protective coating or bugs eating. anyway, instead of having that little ledge or post exposed inside, i put another layer of block on other side of foundation form between posts. leaving an air gap for insulation, and the wall no longer has post visible. this will increase the amount of block used, double if you go crazy and do the whole house that way, but not necessary. built front of house facing north or south and extend roof a little further from walls for shade coverage, and you double walls will be kept to minimium. but you feel the inside of a single wall exposed to sun and it's hot as hell, where the double wall is cool. with i had thought of all that before i started, i would of made a world of difference. the ceiling insulation also helped a lot, not as good as what's available in states but better than nothing. feel free to stop over at anytime, only did the one room, but it really made a difference, especially since that was a complete redesign of original exterior wall that was constantly exposed to western sun. but seriously consider building house north/south, no matter what the shape of land. i even wanted my house turned around, back facing road, but didn't happen as i wasn't here at pouring of foundation and start. i satisfied with house, but would change few things that would make big difference. expecially on cost savings, any extra block will come back 10 fold if you use ac like i do.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » July 30, 2005, 1:55 pm

I presently rent, and have 2 air units main room (both too small) and one unit bedroom (air right size for room). I run air in bedroom every night and because of computer, also at times during the day. The units in main room rarely are used. I am not planning in put any more money into this place. But I do notice at night the sounds coming from outside, sound like the windows are open and they are closed. It is just, no insulation above the thin ceiling tiles!

TG thinks I pay to much rent, plus she has a small house on the other side of town. So the plan is to move after the first of the year when my lease is up. But, her house is small, so I plan on doing an addition of a kitchen and 2 bedrooms, right now just playing with the idea. Otherwise it is very simular to this house, I am presently living in! A guess is both are six years old!!

Ok, I see what you mean by the block exposed inside as I type this. This house has about a 8 foot over hang on all sides except the East side. And yes the main room stays hot, even when it is cool on the north facing front porch. Fans or windows do not cool it!

So I am looking to solve, some of these problems.

Living in the states, you always see building supply trucks with loads, go here and there, and always part of the load is insulation! Here I have seen no insulation.

At this time I think I would be happy with a heavy blanket in the ceilings!
8) thanks

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 30, 2005, 3:29 pm

Not sure, but I think there may be something on this site that covers insulation, if not i'm sure it could be a handy reference point for those interested in building their own property:

http://www.coolthaihouse.com

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 1, 2005, 8:49 am

Didn't see anything of interest at the above ? web site, but I found this product site, with a plant here in Thailand. So just in case anyone is interested, here is the link below. Now off to Global to see what they carry! :?

http://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au/default.asp

Hmm, guess it (this site) didn't like my up arrow! :cry:

Kari69

Post by Kari69 » August 1, 2005, 5:35 pm

Maby is it better to build the walls using one 16 cm block instead of to 7 cm block. There are air holes in this 16 cmd blocks. Walls will also be heavier, firmer when using them instead of 2 separete blocks.

I have seen them in a shop onUdonDutsani road. On the Udon map maby in squrea L7, L8.

I think there i no sense to built a house using only one 7 cm block.

thethailife
udonmap.com

Post by thethailife » August 1, 2005, 7:14 pm

I agree with Kari69. We built my in-laws house with the larger blocks and I think it was stronger and turned out much better over all. Alot less blocks to deal with as well.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 4, 2005, 1:10 pm

I think it is better to use the large blocks.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by fdimike » August 19, 2005, 9:28 pm

Hi all.

Suggest you look at the benefits of using superblock in the construction of the house & room walls. Superblock is made by two companies here in Thailand - Q-Con and Superblock Co. Both companies produce a similar product. The block is made os aerated concrete and not only provides superior insulating properties but is also, soundproof, fireproof and light weight.

Attic insulation nneds to be combined with some kind of ventilation system in the attic to allow the superheated air to escape.

Hope this helps.

Mike
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 19, 2005, 9:43 pm

Any ideas of how the cost of the superblock compares to the regular kind??

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 20, 2005, 11:07 am

As well as insulation laid on top of the ceiling i also used plasterboard that has a foil backing and the combination of the two is very effective.In the height of summer if you touch the ceiling there is no heat passing through.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by fdimike » August 20, 2005, 11:56 am

Bangkok butcher the cost of the superblock is comparative to using brick once you factor in the larger block size, labor, lower transport charges due to lighter weight, insulating factor etc. It is certainly less expensive and less time consuming then a double brick wall.

Superblock (aerated concrete block) is not particularly new to the construction world. However, it is fairly new to Thailand and very new to Udon Thani.

There are some different construction techniques used in working with superblock as well as a SPECIFIC mortar and plaster used in the construction.

Superblock is available at Home Mart, Global etc. I am told that there is no real difference between the Q-Con product and the Superblock Co. product.

regards
Mike

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 20, 2005, 1:38 pm

Thanks for that fdimike, they sure sound like a viable option then.

Good luck with the rest of your house :)

fdimike
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by fdimike » August 22, 2005, 6:46 pm

Businessman do I understand you to say that you are using a combination of fiberglass batt insulation with the foil faced plasterboard in the ceiling?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 24, 2005, 1:56 pm

Businessman do I understand you to say that you are using a combination of fiberglass batt insulation with the foil faced plasterboard in the ceiling?
Indeed yes.The foil backed plasterboard came in the price of the job and i added the extra insulation myself as did not think the foil on its own would be sufficient.

At the time I was worried that material prices would soar over the duration of the project and so fixed my costs there and then by using a fixed price contractor.As it turned out he lost a few quid but those are the risks he is prepared to take.If steel/cement prices fall he is laughing.

The risk you take with a fixed price is that the contractor may try and cut corners to increase his margin.You really must be on site at all times and inspect everything for quality.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by fdimike » August 25, 2005, 7:13 pm

Thanks Businessman.

The builder is suggesting we just use the foil backed plasterboard because adding the fiberglass would be over kill. Personally I'm for overkill and will follow your lead.

My wife and I have been at the job site every day since we began construction. Additionally, the engineer from Home Mart who did the design work also visits quite often to inspect the work. Interestingly enough the builder has also asked her (the engineer) to check out the construction as well.

So far this tem seems to be working out quite well.

Mike

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 26, 2005, 12:21 pm

mike,the extra cost of the fibreglass is nothing as a percentage of the total construction costs and you will not have to experience entering your house after a hot day and feeling like a chicken in an oven.

Thais will say don't worry but they were born in this heat and wear jumpers when the temperature falls below 80 degrees. :D

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”