Sending a packet to Thailand....

General Udon Thani topics only!
astrid
udonmap.com

Sending a packet to Thailand....

Post by astrid » July 28, 2008, 6:46 pm

Hi !

When I move to Udon I will send a box with things that I will need.
Computer stuff and other things.

Anybody know how it works ?
Sending it with regular postservice and my question is :

Does it go through custom and will it be a problem to pick it
up direct from the Thai postal service ?

I be happy for knowhow...

Have a good day.

Bo.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 28, 2008, 7:19 pm

I have sent both , small parcels ( Postal ) and large 250 KG freight in 13 boxes recently.

The postal service u will use will request a declaration of the items u will be sending and values etc

The postal service will open them and view especially if its a computer, and tax will need to be paid, if u dont declare it, u stand a chance of loosing it once it does hit Thailand and its checked anyway.

The postal item might be assessed in BKK and then sent to your postal address in Udon eg, then u will receive a notice to pick it up at the main post office and then the tax is paid there.

If u send this stuff via a freight agent, it will go into bonded storage in BKK and u must attend personally to release it, I was required to show my NON O visa and heaps of other stuff, inc a detailed inventory of all that was in the 13 boxes.

The agent will deal with customs with u and get the documents to get it all cleared, and then u pay the fees, taxes etc

Thai Airways who run the bonded storage for air freight at Swampy charge 1 baht per kilo per day , until its cleared.

For those Aussies, its approx $200 extra for air freight ( 7-10 days delivery ) V's sea freight with a delivery time of approx 5-7 weeks.

For Australians sending freight via Air, u need to show a Non Imm O or B visa within Oz, as a tourist they wont allow u to import into Thailand. But im sure agents have ways of changing things ??

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 28, 2008, 8:25 pm

Before I retired I used to send packages to my family here from the US. I always used my wife's maiden name. When listing the items of the contents of the package on the declaration form I wrote something that sounded somewhat unappealing (books, toys clothes). Not one package was ever opened nor did my wife ever pay any duty and none were ever lost or stolen.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 28, 2008, 8:43 pm

wazza wrote:I have sent both , small parcels ( Postal ) and large 250 KG freight in 13 boxes recently.

The postal service u will use will request a declaration of the items u will be sending and values etc

The postal service will open them and view especially if its a computer, and tax will need to be paid, if u dont declare it, u stand a chance of loosing it once it does hit Thailand and its checked anyway.

The postal item might be assessed in BKK and then sent to your postal address in Udon eg, then u will receive a notice to pick it up at the main post office and then the tax is paid there.

If u send this stuff via a freight agent, it will go into bonded storage in BKK and u must attend personally to release it, I was required to show my NON O visa and heaps of other stuff, inc a detailed inventory of all that was in the 13 boxes.

The agent will deal with customs with u and get the documents to get it all cleared, and then u pay the fees, taxes etc

Thai Airways who run the bonded storage for air freight at Swampy charge 1 baht per kilo per day , until its cleared.

For those Aussies, its approx $200 extra for air freight ( 7-10 days delivery ) V's sea freight with a delivery time of approx 5-7 weeks.

For Australians sending freight via Air, u need to show a Non Imm O or B visa within Oz, as a tourist they wont allow u to import into Thailand. But im sure agents have ways of changing things ??
Not quite correct wazza.

If you send by post, Customs will open and inspect, and may or may not impose duty.

If you send via a freight forwarder (as I did), you do not have to attend personally in Bangkok. The forwarder will need your passport, and will (should be) already in possession of your shipping details, describing the contents of the boxes.

Again, Customs will inspect, and may or may not impose duty/VAT, and/or tea money.

Let the agent handle it - they have the relationships, and can best smooth the paths (ie grease the palms) with Customs.

FYI, I used http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/about.aspx and was very happy with them.

alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » July 28, 2008, 10:43 pm

I also have received many kitchen tools and machinery ,like breadmaker , from different european countries and never paid a baht.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 29, 2008, 2:33 am

Jack

I just paid 7000 odd in storage fees, because the agent would not clear my freight till i personally attended, they had my visa, passport, drivers licence, copy of house rental agreement , yellow book and still they refused to clear it till i attended in person.

This was despite approx 5 emails even back to the agent in Oz.

I used Australian Air Freight.

Im sure each agent has different rules of engagement,

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 29, 2008, 9:41 am

Sorry wazza, looks like we are talking about apples and oranges.

It appears you sent airfreight, and I shipped by seafreight. Obviously different rules at the airport from the seaport.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 29, 2008, 9:53 am

Jack

ahhh, yes i have heard this, and my mate has just sent a container by sea from UK, customs cleared ( subject to agents fees and taxes ) to Khon Kaen.

No doubt there will be a facility fee to be paid on the docks, just like back home ! eh.

fun44
udonmap.com

Post by fun44 » July 29, 2008, 12:04 pm

:lol: what s**t you lot talk about

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 29, 2008, 12:18 pm

So turn the channel 8)

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » July 29, 2008, 6:05 pm

fuk44 wrote::lol: what s**t you lot talk about

You sure know how to announce that you are a troll, four post, 2 saying exactly the above.

If you don't like it, you know what to do!!! :snide:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 29, 2008, 6:16 pm

fuk is just hitting the big 5 then he can enter nightlife and view all the exciting Udon afterdark topics.. :lol: c'mon own up arn't you fuk..?
Or how about posting some non-sh!te topics from your good self fuk...?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 29, 2008, 7:37 pm

Maybe Fuk is a bit off topics and we should change his name fo fukoff

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 29, 2008, 7:39 pm

He sounds Russian to me with a name like fukoff, Uri Fukoff at your service, Arrr Mr Bond I have been expecting you.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 29, 2008, 7:43 pm

Fukoff 007 ( now upgraded to nightlife section )

Follow my Q ?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 29, 2008, 10:33 pm

Jackspratt wrote :-If you send via a freight forwarder (as I did), you do not have to attend personally in Bangkok. The forwarder will need your passport,

errrrr, you are supposed to have your passport with you at all times, so if your passport is there, you HAVE to be there as well :roll:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 29, 2008, 10:43 pm

errrr, you only need your passport if you are asked for it by someone with the authority to do so.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 29, 2008, 10:50 pm

errrr....Image
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”