Bacon

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Paul
udonmap.com

Bacon

Post by Paul » February 25, 2006, 9:27 am

This one is surely for Bangkok Butcher to answer.
Just had my bacon sandwich this saturday morning (bacon from Rauche Kate)
What I want to know is:
Why is the bacon here so lousy?
It looks like it has come of anorexic pigs on hunger strike!

At home you could purchase some lovely rashers of bacon - with lots of delicious lean meat on them and yet here beyond the rind, there is just a few stringy bits of meat - mostly all fat and crap.

Surely a pig is a pig in any country - so where are all the decent rashers going?

I had some excellent bacon only once here - and that was bought from Pattaya.

If I saw that bacon for sale in shop at home I would walk right past, and assume that those were the bits he had gathered off the floor.

I wait with licking lips for your reply :)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » February 25, 2006, 10:21 am

Paul, have you tried the bacon from Tessco, they have 2 different brands. Then of course there is
Pig in the Sky
but needs to be cured. Not sure what you get in UK (?) - but I never had any english food I thought was eatable :!: :wink:

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » February 25, 2006, 11:20 am

Paul, I have 2 kg of prime middle cut Australian bacon in my freezer now as my protege will be visiting during semester break and she likes bacon. If I have room I will buy anextra kilo and bring it over. About 300 baht a kilo I think. You can do the conversion into ice cold Blue Ices.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 25, 2006, 2:34 pm

Paul there is a lady in Nong Kia who home smokes bacon, worth the drive. I've used it for three years hasn't killed me yet. She also does smoked hams. There are good as I understand it I just don't like smoked ham.

I looked for her card couldn't find it, I'm going down next week and restock. Your welcome to ride along or I can pick up a kilo for you try. You don't like it you can always sell it back to me at a discount of course :lol:

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Re: Bacon

Post by BangkokButcher » February 25, 2006, 7:21 pm

From what I've seen in the supermarkets in Thailand, the decent cuts of a pig, ie loin and back (I think they may get sent to bangkok, frozen down and exported for a better price) which will leave just the shoulder and collar left to cure. I may be wrong about the exporting bit, but there is a big big premium for the lean cuts versus the neck end.

Similar to the chicken available, the majority of the breast meat gets frozen down or further processed for export into other markets, just leaving the legs (drumsticks and thighs), backs and feet for the local market.

This sort of thing also happens in the UK, a number of fresh poultry producers here, keep the prime cuts for the local market, and freeze down and export the wings, backs, offal/giblets and feet for export to Asia, and again with pigs, stomach/intestines and a lot of the other unedible bits (well for me anyway) would be shipped out the country, better than throwing it in the incinerator I guess.

I would follow Ray's advice with the lady in Nong Khai, also Nobby's bar in Nong Khai used to do a decent bit of bacon, sausage and ham, which could be bought by the kg.

Other then that, make it yourself, I do believe Dakoda (I think) gave it a go sometime ago and got a fair result, it's not that hard. If you need some pointers, just give me a shout.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 26, 2006, 12:56 am

wokkawombat wrote:Paul, I have 2 kg of prime middle cut Australian bacon in my freezer now as my protege will be visiting during semester break and she likes bacon. John
I thought you said it was pork sausage you always gave her :fryingpan: [-X \:D/

will look forward to the sizzling pan John - by all means

hxjohn
udonmap.com

bacon

Post by hxjohn » February 27, 2006, 4:19 am

paul I saw the post bacon and instantly thought I could definitely recommended some good bacon in udon from Rauche Kate I have bought there over many months and find the quality to be above average for udon much better then the stuff from Tesco I am always very suspicious of negative remarks about restaurants especially those which are not paying advertisers on the website I doubt that in any case you can guarantee
The consistent quality of any foodstuff from any restaurant in the world
They are very busy at times there and the t bone steaks are to die for the best I have tasted anywhere in the last few years next time iam in town I will pm you and the steaks are on me if you don

farang
udonmap.com

Re: bacon

Post by farang » February 27, 2006, 6:05 pm

hxjohn wrote:
Ps what happened to the proposed paypal donation button for your school
here lee`s post 10th from top..
or here
Make a donation

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 27, 2006, 9:22 pm

Thanks a lot for that Farang - I don't even know how to do that :)

HXJohn
I am not knocking Rauch Kate - his ham there is excellent and lovely sized pieces too but alas the bacon was just scrawny pieces instead of big juicy rashers. I just wanted to know why this was standard in Thailand - why we get the scraps?

Free steak ? do you think I would say no ????
name the day - I will bring my hungry head :)

Regards

Paul

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » February 28, 2006, 8:06 pm

Paul wrote:Thanks a lot for that Farang - I don't even know how to do that :)

HXJohn
I am not knocking Rauch Kate - his ham there is excellent and lovely sized pieces too but alas the bacon was just scrawny pieces instead of big juicy rashers. I just wanted to know why this was standard in Thailand - why we get the scraps?

Free steak ? do you think I would say no ????
name the day - I will bring my hungry head :)

Regards

Paul
Maybe the girl who is in a catatonic state served you and mistakenly gave you the waste cuts meant for the dog :o
Normally I ask for the home smoked bacon as I arrive for a meal as the joint needs to be very cold to slice cleanly
I am not in udon at the moment so hold on the steak remember my post I

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 28, 2006, 8:10 pm

I am sure I am going to really hate this steak you know, and in fact we better go twice just to make sure I really do dislike it :):):)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » February 28, 2006, 10:52 pm

doubt that in any case you can guarantee
The consistent quality of any foodstuff from any restaurant in the world
They are very busy
Dam it it so hard to recommend a place these days. I have and then went back, and lets say it was just BAD :!:

So, for a Hamburgers the ONLY place where you are sure to get something really good any day of the week is Harry's - forget NongKhai:!:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 28, 2006, 10:58 pm

TJ's is good for hamburgers, if you are now talking about hamburgers, as opposed to bacon!! And it has sensible prices, not farang prices!! :D

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » February 28, 2006, 11:47 pm

being three sheets to the wind, I guess we have hamburgers and then we have american hamburgers, and yes sometimes there is bacon :P

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » March 1, 2006, 7:19 pm

Well to add to the twist - how many hamburgers are HAM burgers? most are beef burgers aren't they?

Does that then qualify as a bacon burger if it contains ham ? LOL

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » March 1, 2006, 7:23 pm

Paul BBQ Filet Mingon, baked potatoe and tossed salad your just not living right 8)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » March 1, 2006, 7:30 pm

How do you filet a 'mingon'

In fact what is a 'mingon' ?

Ive had a minger or two before but never a mingon

:):):)

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » March 1, 2006, 9:30 pm

Trust me tastes much better then it spells :lol:

Never forget I'm the guy who has to edit three times for two lines, thats got to be some kind of record :oops:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » March 1, 2006, 11:12 pm

Oh to be English !- I think that went way over your head ray :)

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » March 1, 2006, 11:52 pm

Paul wrote:How do you filet a 'mingon'

In fact what is a 'mingon' ?

:):):)
I think that's Mignon, chaps... :wink:

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”