Phu Lek National Park

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
arjay
udonmap.com

Phu Lek National Park

Post by arjay » February 28, 2006, 11:28 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge of Phu Lek National Park? It's approx east south-east of Udon (Sakon Nakhon direction) and appears to have a scenic viewpoint near Ban Tha Sila.

Also, there appears to be a large lake near Shat Khan, - Lam Pao dam, which could be accessed via Kumphawapi off the Kon Kaen road.

Are either of these places worth visiting, as they are much closer to Udon and not as far as Phu Ruea in Loei?

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » March 7, 2006, 6:34 pm

Try this link for Phu Pa Lek National Park

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/st ... id=29&lg=2

Found a little text about Lam Pao Dam:

Well-known as the country's longest earth dam with the crest length of 7,800 m and height of 33 m, the dam was constructed during 1963 - 1968 across the Lam Pao and Huai Yang rivers at the adjoining areas of Sahatsakhan, Muang Kalasin and Yang Talat districts of Kalasin Province.

This dam can be reached by taking Highway No. 209 (Kalasin - Maha Sarakham) for 10 kilometres, turn right and drive for 26 kilometres. This earth dam is 33 metres high from water level and is 7.8 kilometres long. The dam is built across the Pao and Huai Yang rivers, creating a double reservoir. It was built to alleviate floods, help agriculture and is also used for fish breeding. The beach along the lake is a popular rest spot for locals.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » March 8, 2006, 3:22 am

You know, this sort of amazes me

I have my brother and his wife stopping over for a week in Thailand in April, and my TW constantly worries "There is nothing to see or do around Udon, will they be bored??". I've got around and about, and I did'nt know about there. So long as you enjoy country life, there are lots of things to do and see around Udon IMHO

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 8, 2006, 3:36 am

Shhhh John. Don't say country to loud. You will have every Texan, hillbilly and good ole boy leaving the states for land to plow or cows to raise. :lol: :lol:

Why do you think I chose such country surrondings. Guess that is why I don't get off on cow pasture pool. Been out in the sticks too long.

Mudshark
udonmap.com

Post by Mudshark » March 8, 2006, 5:37 am

Arjay,

Since my girlfriend is from Tha-Sila I've visited this park quite a few times....but not for the reasons listed in the National Park website at:

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/st ... action.asp

Ho Song Dao located on the peak of Phu Pha Lek Mountain is a fabulous viewpoint as noted in the park website. The most interesting part I found is the seven temples below they peak. Based on my girlfriend's explanation....which may have lost something in translation, they are replica's of famous temples from around the world. Indeed I saw one of them in Southern India and the replica on Phu Pha Lek Mountain is much better.

Usually there is no one there unless there is a religious holiday. So you have these temples and the few monks that tend them to yourself. Again, my girlfriend tells me this is the Queen's special place so it is very well funded and maintained. The queen visits annually (by helicopter).

If anyone's interested I'd be happy to post some pic's of the temples so you can evaluate whether you think its worth the trip from Udon. I've never seen this place (called Tampouon by my girlfriend/family) in any western tourist book.

If you do make the trip drop by Tha-Sila on the way back to Udon. Its a bit out of the way from highway 22 and the largest town in the area, Sawangdandin, but its a cute place. When I visited this January, the operators of the local abatoire had just opened a wonderful BBQ restaurant on a hilltop just outside Tha-Sila and it was pretty good.

If you do visit and see a farang wandering around....it's probably me so say hi. In all my extended visits to Tha-Sila I've never seen another farang so I'd enjoy the chance to speak to catch up on what's going on in the bigger world....as news doesn't generally hit Tha-Sila that fast.

Good luck - Graham

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 8, 2006, 6:05 am

Very good post and welcome to the forum Graham. You sure made it sound like a very nice place. Please post your pics as I would like to see them. I bet others will also.

Again welcome.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » March 8, 2006, 10:49 am

Welcome to the forum Graham.

Please post your photos here, there is a little 'add pictures to post' in the reply box. We'd love to see them.

Mudshark
udonmap.com

Ho Song Dao on the peak of Phu Pha Lek Mountain and Tampouon

Post by Mudshark » March 10, 2006, 10:59 am

Happy to oblige with some pictures Lee and Banpaeng!

Temple on the mountain....the original of which I am sure I saw south of Bangalore in India

Another temple adorned with Piana!

Many good looking views at the top of the Mountain!

The Earthen Dam described in the National Park Website....I believe.

I've lots more pictures of the area if you are interested. Other favourites in the area a little farther afield that I've really enjoyed were the Erawan Caves (2 hours dive SW of Udon) and Phu Kradung Mountain (trekking mountain 5 hours drive away from Udon).

I am scheduled to visit the Udon area again June. I'd really enjoy hearing of the other members favourite outdoor spots to visit, especially around Nong Kai which I haven't visited yet.

Cheers - Graham

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » March 10, 2006, 11:24 am

Thanks for the photos Graham, very nice. Please do post more.
I'd really enjoy hearing of the other members favourite outdoor spots to visit, especially around Nong Kai which I haven't visited yet.
Sala Kaew Ku is definitely worth a visit, don't forget your camera because there are plenty of photo opportunities. Also remember to visit the top floor of the temple where the embalmed body of the creator resides, very bizarre and spooky.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » March 10, 2006, 7:30 pm

lee wrote:Thanks for the photos Graham, very nice. Please do post more.
I'd really enjoy hearing of the other members favourite outdoor spots to visit, especially around Nong Kai which I haven't visited yet.
Sala Kaew Ku is definitely worth a visit, don't forget your camera because there are plenty of photo opportunities. Also remember to visit the top floor of the temple where the embalmed body of the creator resides, very bizarre and spooky.
Here's a pic of the glass coffin... sorry about quality :oops:, taken from camcorder.

I have plenty more, perhaps I should start a new thread?...

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 10, 2006, 7:59 pm

Thanks for that info Graham (Mudshark) and the photos. I have moved Phu Pha Lek up my list for an early visit. I am more interested in the views and walking, than temples, but will check them all out.

Can you drive to near the top, Ho Song Dao, or does it involve a long hike?

It's a lot nearer than Phu Ruea, (Loie) which I have been to before.
Rj

Mudshark
udonmap.com

Ho Song Dao

Post by Mudshark » March 30, 2006, 12:39 pm

A quick update on my post. I'm told the temple complex below Ho Song Dao is called Tham Puang locally. There is a cave ("Tham") in the temple with Paiana draping across the brige into it (see picture I posted) so I imagine that's where the "Tham" comes from.

BTW....other great location I visited, that is a little farther afield near Roi-et, is Pan Am Yoi. Attached is a picture of this massive seven story structure that tells a story as you climb the stairs inside. Each floor is a different them....floor seven has the "bone of Buddah" surrounded by a heavenly backdrop. Worth the trip !!Image

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » March 31, 2006, 8:14 am

There are many Wats in Thailand and all seem to have an interesting history behind them. As at one time in Chiang Mai, a buhdist monk was running the city.

These pictures were taken in Khon Khaen....it's 8 tier's and on one of the tiers is gold statues of some of the most important monks at the Wat. On the top tier you are able to look out over the klong and the city of Khon Khaen.

this is the Nhong Wang Wat in Khong Khaen.

Pop's :pirate:
[/img]

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”