Swimming Pool

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
fdimike
udonmap.com

Swimming Pool

Post by fdimike » November 15, 2005, 11:16 pm

As a part of our project to build a new house here in Udorn we will be installing an in-ground swimming pool. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a pool or had one here in Thailand or elsewhere. I am particularly interested in the construction technique employed, the filter system being used, and where it was purchased.
Thanks
Mike

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

yorkman
udonmap.com

Re: Swimming Pool

Post by yorkman » November 16, 2005, 2:37 am

fdimike wrote:As a part of our project to build a new house here in Udorn we will be installing an in-ground swimming pool. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a pool or had one here in Thailand or elsewhere. I am particularly interested in the construction technique employed, the filter system being used, and where it was purchased.
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

I am going through the same process and am building a collection of links, happy to share information with you as it goes along. Busy for a couple of days, but I will PM you with what I have that is specifically related to construction in Thailand.

John

fdimike
udonmap.com

Swimming Pool

Post by fdimike » November 16, 2005, 10:06 am

Thanks John. I look forward to hearing from you. FYI I have received offers from JD Pools in Bangkok and Prominent. The JD system is quite simple (maybe a little too simple) but relatively reasonably priced. The Prominent system is much more complex and includes an automatic monitoring & dosing system for the chlorine and PH Control. They also have an Ozone unit add on which I am told is quite expensive (no price info yet).

The JD sytem is a simple skimmer system with a self contained pump and filter in a fiberglass enclosure which sits alongside the pool decking (underground). However, all chemical treatment is manual. They do have an interesting piece of equipment which used salt instead of the typical chlorine liquid/tablet. The system essentially extracts the chlorine out of the salt through and electrical process. They say this eliminates much of the unpleasantness of chlorine treatment and is much much cheaper to operate.

Mike

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » November 17, 2005, 2:58 am

Thanks Mike,

I'm going to visit somebody who has had a pool built in Nong Wua Sor, so I will share what I learn from them. He has build a 25m * 10m pool, which is much larger than my requirement, but I will try to find out who did it, how much it cost, and any problems he has had.

I really am looking to do something where the kids can mess about, we can all cool off etc etc, rather than a serious "swimming" pool; but also am looking for minimal maintenance (as the maintainer will be me..hehe)

So...they extract the chlorine from the salt ,what happens to the sodium? As I vaguely remember from my school days, this is an element not to be messed with, but then, I was always crap at chemistry.

John

fdimike
udonmap.com

Swimming Pool

Post by fdimike » November 17, 2005, 12:11 pm

John

Thnaks for the info. FYI our pool is going to be 21M X 8M. !/2 the pool will go from very shallow for the kids to med depth to deep.

I can't answer your question re: what happens to the salt. I'll pose it to JD Pools when we speak next.

I visited a 20M X 7M pool in the BB Resort the other day. They are using two cartridge filters in their system. There is one intake pipe and one return at the bottom of the pool as best I can determine. They also have an overflow skimmer system for use when there are enough people in the pool to make it overflow.

Look foirward to hearing back from you.
Mike

pinophai
udonmap.com

Swimmingpool

Post by pinophai » March 18, 2006, 6:04 pm

Hai,
We are planning to build a pool also in Nabua-Sumsau. This is at Phen district.
Can u send me some info on what u found for making a pool out there?
We are thinking for making a pool size 8m x 4m deep 1.8m
Thanks,

fdimike
udonmap.com

Pool

Post by fdimike » March 18, 2006, 8:28 pm

Pinophai

I am not sure what kind of information you are looking for. I can tell you the contractor who is building our house also built the pool. He used high strength reinforced concrete with a waterproofing added to the mix.

We located a man here in Udon Thani who will be handling the pool filtering equipment. We are using two Hayward DE cartridge filters, two 1/2 HP pumps and 2 Surechlor Saltwater Chlorine Generators which use common salt to make chlorine for the pool water. I purchased the Surechlor device from The Pool Shop in Hua Hin.

The pool is actually 17 meters long 7 meters wide, 2 meters deep. It is a free form design which will incorporate a sand bar giving the appearance of a real beach. The sand bar will actually be made of concrete with a fine washed sand finish.

We totally gave up on JD Pools and would recommend all do the same. They still haven't returned our 3,000 Baht deposit. They are very unreliable and certainly unethical.

Hope this helps.
Mike

pinophai
udonmap.com

Post by pinophai » March 19, 2006, 2:58 am

I am looking for information for a good constructor from around Udonthani.
I think the construction price will be more interesting when the builder is located not to far fom the actual building place.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Pool

Post by fdimike » March 19, 2006, 12:05 pm

Pinophai

Here is the name and phone number of my contractor. He lives right here in Udon Thani. He is well educated and I higly recommend him.

Mr. PinYoo Kuri-Rung
01- 544-7566

Please let me know if you would like to see the house and swimming pool he is building for us.

Regards
Mike

pinophai
udonmap.com

Post by pinophai » March 19, 2006, 2:44 pm

Hai,
Thanks for the phone number. If u have some pics i would like to see them.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Pool

Post by fdimike » March 19, 2006, 9:18 pm

Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send a few pics.

pinophai
udonmap.com

Post by pinophai » November 22, 2006, 1:47 am

We are comming soon now.

Return to “House & Land”