Accomodation Reviews

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 17, 2005, 1:32 pm

Paul wrote: Because i vented out my frustration on the car horn at the sheer unbelievable action - I was looked at by everybody, who just seem to accept dumb decisions as normal.
Probably wondered why you tooted Paul, I've never heard a horn in Thailand used in the same situation that they are in the UK, only ever heard them used by vehicles to warn bicycle riders, ice cream samlors and bikes with no lights that a great big 100 ton lorry is trying to pass them at 200kph 8)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 17, 2005, 5:18 pm

You are so right LOL
When everybody drives so unbelievably bad - how will they ever be able to tell when they see bad driving - coz it is quite normal to them.

However this is not a post about driving standards its about accomodation (I think) so I will not curse the driving any more on this post.

Paul 8)

albeach
udonmap.com

Post by albeach » August 17, 2005, 7:08 pm

Paul, for all the time you've been in LOS, you're still not thinking like a Thai. Just use the sidewalk :D

Read on Old Codger's website that Irish Clock rooms are priced at 800B/nite. He joins everyone in giving the place a big thumbs up. It's on my must visit list for next trip. Looking forward to your review after your stay LA.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 17, 2005, 7:39 pm

Who is the old codger??

Was that an old website that disappeared from my favourites sometime ago coz it seemed to vanish...??

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 17, 2005, 8:07 pm

BangkokButcher wrote:Who is the old codger??
?
he's alive and well and runs an internet shop near to Nong Prajak.
likes to keep the boys in brown occupied too I hear LOL

Told ya !! 8)

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » August 17, 2005, 9:44 pm

Old codger, boys in brown, who the heck you guys talking about?????

I hate it when I am lost to the world!!!!!

Pop's :pirate:

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 17, 2005, 10:26 pm

I guess that threw a spanner in the works, sounds like we are all talking about different entities (unless of course pop pop is really the old codger), never mind, the one I was on about is back by the looks of things:

http://www.oldcodger.org/

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 17, 2005, 11:01 pm

pop pops - youre winding me up - but it wont work (you old codger)
Nice try :) 8)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 18, 2005, 10:52 am

Talking of accommodation i spotted this hotel for sale
Cheap or in a bad area?How much do hotels sell for per room in Udon?

http://www.udonrealestate.com/30015.asp

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 18, 2005, 11:03 am

That hotel has been for sale for quite some time. I think it looks more like a house/guest house rather than a hotel. But I guess that hotel sounds better LOL! :lol:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 18, 2005, 11:12 am

Must be awfully small rooms - 11 renting rooms a kitchen and two smaller rooms too - wow !

More thai style than what us westerners are used to (or students rooms)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 18, 2005, 12:37 pm

Hotel certainly sounds better than guesthouse.Guesthouse makes me think of Margate and dark,damp corridors with peeling flock wallpaper.Getting all nostalgic. :)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 22, 2005, 9:19 am

stayed at irish clock saturday, and it was all i expected. very comfortable bed, full well stocked mini bar, hot water maker w/coffee/tea available. stayed in regular room as opposed to larger room. if floor plan is same upstairs then he has 4 larger and 4 standard rooms. the larger rooms having more counter area and room enough for comfy chair with ottoman. largerr ooms are on front of building w/ small balconies if wanting to watch daily life drive by. i'm guessing they are guest friendly, as there is a side door at front of building for entering hotel part as oposed to walking thru restaurant/bar area. rooms are well appointed and shower fixture 1st rate. a pleasant experience. has in room safe, cable tv w/HBO and cinamax movies, nice towels, 2 sets of 3 each (face, hand, body), and some soft slippers for your walking comfort. the room i stayed in had a huge balcony, the roof over kitchen downstairs, with some plants, over looking, well, we'll just say facing robinson area or town, actually overlooks the back of building with is a large cemented walled area. actually quite large with a thia hut looking a bit out of place. rooms are 850, i think for all, 1st come 1st serve for larger rooms. the one room i took pic of had dvd player, not sure if comes with room or now, but our room didn't have one.

have some pics at link below. took couple pics of larger room also, bear in mind they were in the process of cleaning that room and the door was open so i took a few to give you an idea of different size. the one pic of regular room that is dark, you can see balcony we had thru glass doors.

http://community.webshots.com/album/429654016ZNbClW

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 22, 2005, 3:49 pm

Looks impressive LA :), nice review.

And Marcus, whats nostalgic about remembering Margate ?? :lol: the place seems to be nothing but an Illegal Imm den nowadays unfortunately :(, only from stuff I have seen on Television I hasten to add.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 22, 2005, 4:30 pm

Yes Sean,not a place to visit now but many moons ago a treat.Penny arcade on the front and those machines with a small crane inside that never quite managed to grab the prize.Just down the coast at Ramsgate they had a large concrete pool where we all went crab fishing with cotton and mussel for bait.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 22, 2005, 4:42 pm

Ah yes, I do remember those times well, I was from the other side of the water by the way, born and bred in Southend on sea ;) (no essex boy jokes please :lol:)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 22, 2005, 5:13 pm

I think the Old codger (unless I am wrong which I often am) is an american english teacher from my village! 8) Somehow I just got on his mailing list, anyways. Doc you out there :?:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 22, 2005, 6:34 pm

oops, forgot to mention, Irish Clock rooms include breakfast with the price. sorry. so comfort and a bargain.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 22, 2005, 7:06 pm

That is a very important part if you are a "Cheap Charlie" as myself, bt as you brought it up and the rest of the place sounds so good please rate the breakfast. Most places that have talked about breakfast in Udon have really downgraded the breakfast.

I do have one question as it relates to soundproofing. Do you get the noise from below into the rooms or is it insulated pretty well?

By the way your reviews have been very informative!!!!!!!!!!

albeach
udonmap.com

Post by albeach » August 22, 2005, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the review & the pics, looks like real nice rooms. Hope they get a website up soon.

PS, your daughter is a real cutie.

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”