Medical Insurance

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Medical Insurance

Post by BangkokButcher » August 17, 2005, 11:01 pm

What do you guys do about having medical insurance??

Is it an invaluable asset to have in los or is medical treatment just cheap enough as it is??

If so how much could it cost per month or year for a family (2 adults & 3 kids)?

I've done a ton of research on local sites, bupa, aia, royal sun alliance etc, but none of them have any online quote services available.

And from what I've heard elsewhere, double pricing may come into play with the quotes they offer, so is it always best to get our wives to get the formalities sorted...?
Last edited by BangkokButcher on August 17, 2005, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 17, 2005, 11:07 pm

Ppersonally - I am reasonably fit and healthy (execept after forum meetings) and so far have just paid there and then if I need to see a doctor, even a sudden minor operation last year cost me less than a full tank of petrol in the UK, so at the moment I dont worry.

In a few years time when things start getting worn out - I might need a rethink, but its six of one and half a dozen of the other really, as medical costs are so cheap here.

A wife and kids might need a little more of a comfort zone though - so its your choice at the end of the day I guess.

Paul 8)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 17, 2005, 11:16 pm

Thats exactly what I thought to be quite honest Paul, had a bit of a gander through the Aek Udon site and I must admit, even some of their comprehensive stuff does sound pretty affordable in all honesty.

Would be nice if I could try to get an idea of what the insurance 'could' cost though, mind you I think there will be a few more veriables to consider to get an accurate quote, ages and stuff like that.

Thanks anyway :)

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 18, 2005, 1:22 am

BUPA has an operation in Thailand which the marketing folk have, with startling originality, come up with the name of "BUPA Thailand": http://www.bupathailand.com/

I remember seeing some info leaflets on BUPA Thailand a few months ago in the City Lodge - don't know if they are still there.

Had a quick look for details of cost but could only find this:
Now you and your family can have 300,000 baht of medical expenses from less then 10 baht per day.
Somehow, I don't think they will cover me for 10 baht per day :cry: :lol:

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 18, 2005, 1:33 am

Yeah I've seen their site, also AIA and Royal Sun Alliance, but there is absolutely no indication of any prices at all unfortunately.

As for the 10 baht per day, yep it sure does sound a little cheap.

A friend of mine, early 40's, wife and 2 kids, smoker, drinker etc etc has just emailed me, apparently he is paying around 2800 per month for cover with AIA for a middle of the road package, would certainly help get them out of trouble should the need arise. He's going to try and get some details together emailed over when he gets a chance.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 18, 2005, 1:42 am

Just seen "Old Codger" referred to on another thread, was taking a quick look and found reference to health insurance.

The Old Codger is now an agent for BUPA Blue Cross (Thailand) Insurance, you can get info on the insurance pages on his website: http://oldcodger.org/insurance/index.htm

albeach
udonmap.com

Post by albeach » August 18, 2005, 2:33 am

Think one rule I read somewhere about the insurance is you must have it in place before you turn 59 or it cannot be renewed after your 70th birthday.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » August 18, 2005, 2:36 am

An addendum but the BUPA Thailand site does show premium rates. Thought I was looking at a monthly quote for wife and I but now seems it was an annual premium. Based on age but my quote was from 16,000 to 30,000 baht premium, depending on deductibles and coverage selected. Also, if you wait until you're past 60 then you can only get coverage until you're 70.

http://www.bupathailand.com/

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 18, 2005, 2:54 am

BB AS I am about to make the move to Tahiland I have been activaly searching for insurance. I applied for the BUPA and they came back with so many pre existing things (and I am pretty Healthy, I do have high BP but is easyly controlled by meds) that I could not use them. Due to the high BP they would cover nothing with the circulation system. Heck that is why I would want them is for a heart attack if I was to have one. As far as the little stuff agree the cost is pretty reasonable in Thailand. I would just not want to go broke to cover a catostrophic type sickness or accident. So I kept looking.

I feel I have found something that fits my situation for a yank here in the states. They cover you guys from Europe but a tid bit more. You can get a quote online and the company is Travel Guard. The best thing about them is if you buy their world wide health coverage and stay out of the states and Canada and buy for more than 3 months coverage (I'm lookin g at min 1 yr at a time) they cover pre existing conditions period at 10%of policy or 50k. In Thailand 50K will cover heart attack even in BKK. Look it up. For me an my wife with a $1000 deductable is only $2200 per year.

Don't know how that stacks up in England but here I am paying $700 per month so I am looking forward to the move. By the way this policy cover more than medical. I covers death and evac and so forth. It is also a $1,000,000 policy. They have cheaper. For the money this is what I want. Still might go with the $500,000.

website is

www.travelguard.com
www.travelguard.com/worldwidehealth

1-888-859-4181

I have talked to these folks several times and seem level. Like I said I just don't want to go broke on the unexpected.

Hope this helps someone. These guys are straight forward and all the rest I also look at and applied but had to many hoops to jump through.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 18, 2005, 2:55 am

It seems that the old codger is adding to his list of income streams Jimbo, must admit I never spotted that on the site :oops: thanks for pointing it out.

Yep you are both spot on with the get it before you are 60 deal, albeach and polehawk, but I still cant find any reference to any quotations on the bupa site, but I have found a table of benefits which is pretty informative.

But based on what you got quoted, polehawk, it sounds like a similar figure to my friend in Hua Hin, albeit it's the higher end of your quotation at 30k per year.

Doesn't sound like such a bad deal for the cover available.

Thanks for all your input guys :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 18, 2005, 3:00 am

We must have posted at the same time then banpaeng, never saw your post before my last reply.

That certainly looks like a viable option, certainly more in line with the western operators, but then so is the price.

But the usual, you get what you pay for, applies in this game :?

Handy link though, thanks.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » August 18, 2005, 3:17 am

Another site (Thai Health Insurance) that gives you online quotes:

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/index_e.php

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/ecalculation.php

I haven't heard pro/con reports about this company, however.

The links and info about Travel Guard from banpaeng do look promising and I will see how it compares to some of my other quotes and coverages.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 18, 2005, 3:56 am

I have applied to all of these. I agree the price is a bit more but when you apply your price will go up. Please also remember you get a bit more tham medical at travel guard. I don't want more but it could be nice when you really look at it if you croak in a foriegn country. especially if you have children and wan t to return them to your country of origin. On every one of the policy that I applied for the rates went up and had pre existing conditions except travel guard and it spells out how they handle pre existing conditions. I will be honest if any of you retirees have bp problems (even if under control with meds) or diabeties (even if controled with meds)( I do not have diabeties, have had a stress test in the last year (required by my job), have been hospitalized (had surgery on ankel for tendon) you will be greatly surprised when you apply. As you see I really do not have mush of a medical history. I took BuPA reply to my doctor and he laughed. They do not look at what is really done it is just you have a history. Heck just good health is to have a physical every year over 50 and a stress test but when you go to BUPA that relates to heart and that makes you pre existing condition. Better check the small print.

I applied to thai health to. Basically same thing. Sun too and aia. Not saying they are bad just not for me. Really sounds like BUPA is good Just not for me. to much the will not be covered.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 18, 2005, 4:14 am

With all the exceptions for pre-existing conditions etc etc that the insurance companies come up with (even after charging whopping great premiums) along with the costs of doctors, dentists and prescription drugs you have to pay for when the insurance company weasels out of covering your condition (not to mention the cost of lawyers when you try to sue the insurance companies for not paying up) I don

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 18, 2005, 8:40 am

JimboPSM wrote: Peter Pan had it right, don't grow up and grow old - alternatively you could join the forumites monthly meeting where you can demonstrate you haven't grown up :lol:
Ha ha ha - yeah :wink:
I tried growing up once - but didn't like it - so gave it up LOL

With all this talk of the best premium and best cover etc.....
Imagine this:
You have a heart attack or major accident or illness here in Udon, due to your condition you are rushed to the nearest hospital - or the hospital of the ambulance pick-up which gets to you first - and again imagine you die or do not get the best treatment which could possibly save you

Where is the piece of paper then which says you have a Bupa Insurance scheme? And mores the point , what use is it?

Good as the hospitals are here in Udon - they are not the best in the country and although you guys are looking to find the best policy money can buy - surely you would want to end up in the best hospital money can buy too ????

So excuse me if I seem unknowlegable (which I am) but except for a long term treatable illness where you may perhaps have time to find that pleasant private hospital with the lovely gardens in a Bangkok suburb, what is the use of spending thousands on an insurance policy?

And Thai insurance policies in my book, go in the same file as after sales guarantees and after market service. Not worth a great deal after all.

Crash helmet is now in position ready to get hammered by your replies :)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 18, 2005, 9:06 am

luckily i'm healthy, except for that little hobble. had insurance the first year here, what a waste of 8000 baht. only covered accidents and overnight stays, no matter what reason. if i go in, they ask if i want to stay overnight, to use insurance. i hate paying as much as the next person, but couldn't justify adding on to the insurance fraud scheme. needless to say i didn't renew. as paul points out, if it's an emergency and you are out of it, it's useless, as i'm sure the ambulance driver is going to take you to the hospital that pays them. not sure what a good policy cost, but 5 yrs now, so i'm at least 50000 baht ahead. that should cover most surgery, since ex cousin had brain surgery for that amount, and it worked. village resident had it twice, 50 each and it worked. my hobble is predictable and it would be elective surgery, which, luckily i could just sign back up for usa medicare and schedule over there. but the co payment would probably cost more than having it done here. so sad.

so, no coverage for me. all my lawsuits have involved insurance companies, private and gov't not paying benefits when claim submitted. so far i'm batting 100 %. so it's not me since insurance companies don't settle out of court unless they know they will lose in court. it doesn't cost them any more to fight it, since their legal dept is already on staff. they don't pay unless you have a lawyer, another sad fact.

pet peeves, working, insurance companies, lawyers (except mine), banks, and that local warranty thing, pretty much used the same as toilet paper.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 18, 2005, 9:28 am

Actually I agree with Paul and La except I will have insurance for the reason stated above. If myself or wife do need the white suits for something major I do not want to spend my life savings on it. Not independently wealthy. Not trying to sell insuranse or convince someone to buy it as to each his own.

Paul one reason I did look at travel Guard is they will evac to Bkk if needed. Most likely the guy in Udon will say he can handle the brain transplant and I will stay there though. oh well. Can't win them all.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 18, 2005, 10:54 am

I would strongly advise medical insurance for anyone living in Thailand.

My uncle had a serious fall from a ladder and suffered fatal blow to the head which placed him in a coma for a long period of time.

After my uncle passed away at 62 years of age, with limited treatment at the hospital due to lack of funds and no health insurance, I have made it my number 1 priority to apply for insurance.

Basically no money no service, when my uncle was lying there in a coma and I was trying to tell the hospital that we were having difficulties accessing his money in the UK, the level of service then went down. His wife had to be there daily to wash, clean and turn him, clean his clothes and exercise him.

If he were to have taken out health insurance then the hospital would have given him 24hr care so his wife could then spend more time looking after their children, plus it would have been less stressful on her.

My uncle

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 18, 2005, 11:37 am

Both sides of the coin there,
You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

Insurance salesmen relish in the 'what if' syndrome.
For the same arguments that you should have household insurance, buildings insurance, car insurance, motorbike insurance etc etc etc......
What if, what if , what if ..........

Its a personal choice I guess and others can only exchange their views and their stories to help people make that decision.

there isnt a right or wrong I think and whatever gives you peace of mind is the right thing to do.
How I wish I could have the 30 baht health scheme LOL

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 18, 2005, 12:11 pm

Some people are lucky enough to go through their whole lives without an accident or even a single claim on their own insurance.

If I were living in the UK at my age

Return to “Health & Beauty”