Cost of Living Information - Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
snowman
udonmap.com

Re: Cost of Living Information - Udon Thani

Post by snowman » March 11, 2009, 8:40 am

Have a question about taxes. Is there such a thing as an income tax that a person from the US would have to pay to Thailand??????? 8-[

Dave58
udonmap

Post by Dave58 » March 11, 2009, 9:25 am

Snowman, - short answer -no.

Your income would have been taxed in US and any spending money that you remit to LOS does not incur income tax in LOS. Only earnings in LOS.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 11, 2009, 10:43 am

Try telling that to a native in any of the villages around Udon Dave, and they'll look at you like your mad, Taxes :yikes: :yikes: never hear before :lol:

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » March 11, 2009, 11:28 am

"Snowman, - short answer -no."
Not sure you are correct here D58, Thailand and the USA have a tax treaty. I do pay taxes in the US but it could be possible additional taxes are due here also, not sure. I have looked at Thailand's tax schedule and I believe taxes are a bit higher here;o(

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » March 11, 2009, 11:31 am

I've been in Udon since Feb 4th and have managed quite easily on 20k a month. I have a 2 bed house in First Home and share that with the missus and our 18 month old son.

I either buy a couple of beers from the local store or go to Nancy's (a nice little restaurant that does good burgers, located near the entrance to First Home) and have bite to eat and a couple of beers there. I'll also go to the Irish Clock every couple of weeks and the Englishman's Retreat was fun for the little monkey, so I will be going back there every couple of weeks as well.

Obviously, if you're going into town 3 or 4 times a night, you'll be spending close to double what I do.

Flo
udonmap.com

Post by Flo » March 11, 2009, 9:45 pm

I have uploaded my calculations for what I think we are going to spend. I hope it is not too much confusing as it is only a list of data for a program giving forecasts for the future.

:wave: Kart

Bronco
udonmap.com

Post by Bronco » March 12, 2009, 12:40 am

Kart,That was kind of you to share. 38,767.52 Baht/mo as a married man after the initial setup.

So far we have estimates for a married man(after the initial setup) of
35,000/mo
27,000/mo
35,000/mo
40,000/mo
20,000/mo

It probably would have made more sense and been a heck of alot simpler if I'd done a poll.Undoubtably it would have gotten more response.I just don't know my way around computers enough to set it up.This is the best I can do.

I know posters are tired of this question as it's arbitrary if someone writes in wanting to know what it will cost him to live per month.I'm not asking that,because it is arbitrary.I'm looking at you guys to just throw out a monthly number that you think you spend.I just got the impression reading the posts on here that most posters are truthful and a survey of what YOU guys living the life estimate YOU spend as a married(which interests me)or as a single man could help many many of us that are in the planning stages.Everyone was a newbie once upon a time.

Some of you went above and beyond by breaking it down.As stated if I knew how to do a poll I would but I don't.
Bill

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 12, 2009, 12:53 am

Bronco
udonmap.com

Post by Bronco » March 12, 2009, 1:29 am

Thanks Bob,
I guess after reading that thread I like the breakdown better than a poll.More informative

At least I haven't read anyone here saying they use more than 60,000/mo.It sure seems like there are a lot more members than that.I guess things that have to do with finances put some off even just estimates.hope I didn't strike anyones nerves.Not looking to get off on the wrong foot.

You really can't ask this question on alot of forums without posters going off and maybe a new poster that hasn't answered before has something beneficial to add.

astrid
udonmap.com

Post by astrid » March 12, 2009, 1:52 am

Good info this time around in my opinion.

I my self know ( as long I am a single guy ) that I can get by
on 15 000 + a month. ( not including short time ladies and the bar business etc.)
Not counting Visa run´s or travel back home now and then.

For me : the house I will rent is 3000/month including electrisity and water. 3000
Love Thai food, will have it 99% of the time. And not a big eater. 4000
No car, will buy a scooter.Gas. 300
Will be able to use my friends Internet, at 1/2 the hook up/running cost. 500
1500 eating out.
Been in Udon and Pat before but then being a free spender I really did not 1500 booze & beer.
check out what would be a real budget that one could live on. 1500 Tobacco
2700 extras
After all these posts I have a much better idea about what I can live on. -------------------
15 000 bth
Thanks for all info !
Now I just wait, hope for the Bath to take a dive....

:wave:

astrid
udonmap.com

Post by astrid » March 12, 2009, 1:55 am

OPPS...

The mail did not turn out as I wrote it, but I guess you " can read between the line´s ".
:mrgreen:

Bronco
udonmap.com

Post by Bronco » March 26, 2009, 6:54 am

I just want to thank all of the people that took their time to post.I see where that is difficult for people to let loose, thinking it's personal.It sure has helped sway my wife.She's told me "I want to go where the money goes the farthest"It'll be harder for her when she has to face the family in Bangkok directly and tell them straight out we're going North,but the information from here helped,alot,but we'll be alright as she can blame it all on me.I wouldn't be able to do it if she didn't understand the difference in the cost of living up there vs. Bangkok and I got most of that from here.I wish we could keep this thread running as there are so many well repected older members living in the area for many years that could chime in but whether that happens or not I enjoy reading all of your posts and assume the light banter is just fun between friends.I hope to be up there soon.I took the liberty to get on the Korat forum to look at the cost of living there and it seems quite abit more than Udon/Nong Khai area http://koratfarang.com/board/index.php/topic,147.0.html
It really is about giving up the old life isn't it?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 26, 2009, 9:41 am

we'll be alright as she can blame it all on me
we are good for something, tell Ree all the time, just tell them i'm an ass and don't want to be involved, works great. like i can understand them calling me names when i'm there. :roll: :roll: :roll: luckily don't have that problem, her family is spread out themselves, but she not a big socializer.

tell the family if they want you nearby, spring for a nice 50k a month condo, and you'll hang around. personally, you couldn't give me free rent to live in bkk, unless 200k condo on the river. udon city is a bit much at times.

good rule, stay a days drive away from in laws, makes for sane life, no interference [-o<

Royal Orchids

Post by Royal Orchids » May 3, 2009, 4:12 am

WBU ALUM wrote:
macduff wrote:I would love to move to Thailand with my thai wife and baby and live a peacfull village life,but i don't want to severe ties in the UK,yet i need to finance my stay in Thailand which means selling my assets in UK.Can any ex pat members point me in the right direction through your own experiance's and give me a straight answer into why i should or should'nt make the move.I'm 45 years old married and have an 18 month old son.
I would think that much would depend on your financial condition and ability to weather the markets and exchange rates in this volatile time.
"You are too young to make a move, may be in the next 10 years when you are able to retire at 55. There is no job for you in Udon Thani. Normally people who move and live here they are retired from some thing unless you are very rich and don't need to work. [-X =D>

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » May 3, 2009, 5:01 am

Royal Orchids wrote:"You are too young to make a move, may be in the next 10 years when you are able to retire at 55. There is no job for you in Udon Thani. Normally people who move and live here they are retired from some thing unless you are very rich and don't need to work. [-X =D>
Are you sure about that? There are ex-pats under the age of 40 that live and work in Udon.

Casper
udonmap.com

Post by Casper » May 3, 2009, 9:51 am

Every time I come to Udon, I try to judge how much money it will cost us to stay full time.

The amount the wife is going through is coming down from 20,000 per day on our first visit together 3 years ago to around 8,000 per day on our last visit. Back next month hopefully can get a better idea of the amount of money we require to stay there. In no rush at the moment unless I was to loss my job, Staying in Udon for a couple of years could be on the cards until things pickup.

The wife is going to stay a couple of months next year with our son from what others have posted 15,000 per month should be enough. We have house so there is no rent. Motor bike is in good condition and if the young fella cuts back on the amount of milk he drinks 15,000 should be OK with a stocked pantry. If pass experiences are to go by the amount she tells me she needs I multiply by 3. Long way off will see how it goes.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » May 3, 2009, 3:45 pm

I'm still concidering moving or trialing udon in the near future.I'm in the process of selling the Uk property with an option to rent back for 12 months.I'll be going to udon in june hopefully for a month and i'm going to set myself a budget of around the 15000 mark to see how we cope.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 3, 2009, 4:30 pm

The amount the wife is going through is coming down from 20,000 per day on our first visit together 3 years ago to around 8,000 per day on our last visit. Back next month hopefully can get a better idea of the amount of money we require to stay there. In no rush at the moment unless I was to loss my job, Staying in Udon for a couple of years could be on the cards until things pickup.
Tha seem an awful lot i must say food and ex's for me is about 20'000 a month, including wife and two kids 7 dogs and 150 fish, maybe I should cut down on the fish food

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 3, 2009, 8:18 pm

well let me give my budget 12k truck payment rent 0 electric about 3k internet 1500 true V 1500 remove that amount from 40 K my wife does good and Aug. 2010 truck will be paid off oh I forgot the water
about 100 b a month 22k left for food fuel and entertainment so if I was you I would have the lady give a full report on were the money went I smell a rat in the wood pile if the poster is forthcoming

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » May 3, 2009, 9:03 pm

5,000 baht rent a month.6,300 car payment,1,500 baht M/c,2,500 baht for mortgage HER house.700 baht electric,Odd stuff like school fee, tax/insurance for car/MC,Gas,fuel, drinks and food and entertainment,....yeah same here Ron(But 3,000 baht electric?)
Times are hard!thats at 44 K

"The amount the wife is going through is coming down from 20,000 per day on our first visit together 3 years ago to around 8,000 per day on our last visit'
Can you confirm that Casper...,20,000baht A DAY? and 8,000 baht A DAY! :yikes:
POM keet wah khow jai pit! ....(I think me mis-understand )!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”