Boats/barge for hire on dam lake?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
jingjai
udonmap.com

Boats/barge for hire on dam lake?

Post by jingjai » April 10, 2006, 2:50 pm

I've heard there is somewhere one can hire a boat or a barge type boat in a lake that has a dam. Somewhere on the way to Khon Kaen? I was told these barge boats can hold many people and that food/beverages are delivered to you by another boat. Does anyone have any details about this? Cost? Size of boat, # of people it can acommodate?

Stevo
udonmap.com

Re: Boats/barge for hire on dam lake?

Post by Stevo » April 11, 2006, 12:54 am

jingjai wrote:I've heard there is somewhere one can hire a boat or a barge type boat in a lake that has a dam. Somewhere on the way to Khon Kaen? I was told these barge boats can hold many people and that food/beverages are delivered to you by another boat. Does anyone have any details about this? Cost? Size of boat, # of people it can acommodate?
Do you mean Ubonrat? I haven't seen barges there, but there were a few boats as I recall... I'll see if I can did out a pic

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » April 11, 2006, 2:11 am

[quote="jingjai"]I've heard there is somewhere one can hire a boat or a barge type boat in a lake that has a dam. Somewhere on the way to Khon Kaen? I was told these barge boats can hold many people and that food/beverages are delivered to you by another boat. Does anyone have any details about this? Cost? Size of boat, # of people it can acommodate?[/
Yes there is a dam 2/3 of the way to khoen ken forgot the name but its well signposted
It on your right side as you go down
I don

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » April 11, 2006, 2:25 am

[quote="hxjohn"]
There is I believe a large stupa on the hill side above which I think you can reach via road but we didn

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » April 11, 2006, 12:13 pm

jingjai wrote:I've heard there is somewhere one can hire a boat or a barge type boat in a lake that has a dam. Somewhere on the way to Khon Kaen? I was told these barge boats can hold many people and that food/beverages are delivered to you by another boat. Does anyone have any details about this? Cost? Size of boat, # of people it can acommodate?
There are a couple of 2 deck barge/boats tied up at the dam wall end of the reservoir near the water gates, they look capable of accommadating maybe 40 people or so. An enquiry at the office that you pass as you drive in perhaps?

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 11, 2006, 3:04 pm

yorkman wrote:
There are a couple of 2 deck barge/boats tied up at the dam wall end of the reservoir near the water gates, they look capable of accommadating maybe 40 people or so. An enquiry at the office that you pass as you drive in perhaps?
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll try to invistigate the cost to hire one of the boats.
Perhaps, we could all get together for a day-time forumites meeting aboard one the boats, with the wives, gf's, children, etc.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Ubol Rat Dam

Post by FrazeeDK » April 11, 2006, 6:37 pm

You may or may not be able to rent the boats that are on the EGAT Dam complex. The resataurant, the stupa, the 9 hole golf course, and "O" club are all for the Electrical Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) staff. I've been in the restaurant, it's OK. I don't know about using any of the other "perks" of the complex. To get to the local beach, if you drive out of the Dam Complex, up the hill a bit through the village, you'll see a road on your right.. Turn right there and follow the road over the ridge line. it will wind back down the ridge to the beach below that's known as Bang Saen 2. They used to have jet skis and long tail boats for rent there. I don't recall seeing "barge boats" for parties, but perhaps I just don't remember.. Lot's of the local crowd go to this beach or one that's diagonally across the lake (west side) known as Pattaya 2. To get there I'd imagine you'd have to go down to Khon Khaen, then west about 25km and then north along the dam...
Dave

Mobaan
udonmap.com

Barges/Floats

Post by Mobaan » April 16, 2006, 9:25 pm

When are done with the boating on Ubolrat ,head West to Loei ,form there,still going West a few km on the road to Dan Sai ,the turn rigth (signs) to a dam where there are quiet a number of rafts for hire . They pull you out ot the middle ( ?) of the lake --you can tie on or just drift around . Those are rafts big enough for 4-6 people ,with a sall hut and bamboo roofs . They bring you food -you order before going out ,and when you run out of beer ,you have to raise a flag ,and here they come tuk-tuk -tuk with a small canoe and bring more beer and ice !!!! Cool to the max..

You have complete privacy whilst out on the water ,so clothing could be optional .
I cant think of many other ways to spent a nice relaxing afternoon . Have done it several times and will again ,every time we are in the area.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » April 16, 2006, 11:18 pm

jingjai wrote:
yorkman wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll try to invistigate the cost to hire one of the boats.
Perhaps, we could all get together for a day-time forumites meeting aboard one the boats, with the wives, gf's, children, etc.
Nice idea Jingjai.....

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 17, 2006, 2:46 am

I agree, very nice idea, Jingjai. Though maybe, just MAYBE, I would prefer to sit in a restaurant on the bank overlooking the water and dine, after the rather recent events with the overloaded boat party, in was it Bahrain, or somewhere similar? :(

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 18, 2006, 3:04 pm

On the water, on the shore, I think it would be good time. Ang and I are open to most days. However, the last week-end in April is another long weekend (Labor Day), and the first and second weekends in May are long holiday weekends. So I would imagine the area we are talking about will be very busy(if we decide to get together on a weekend)?

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”