English girl facing firing squad in Laos

World news discussion forum
saint
udonmap.com

Re: English girl facing firing squad in Laos

Post by saint » May 5, 2009, 9:03 am

you are a bit of a drama queen steve , torture and hang em high brigade :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you bleet on about heroin addicts , but miss the point , that this scum in a loas jail , is not an addict , but if found guilty , a trafficer !!!!! now to me , that makes a very big differance , and she should be treated to no mercy whatsoever ...... not just to show her victims that there still can be justice , but to send a clear message to the rest of the world , that crime does not pay in S E Asia ..... and long may that policy continue .

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » May 5, 2009, 9:42 am

No - not a drama queen - just belive in due process and the rule of law.

Why is she "scum" if she has not been found guilty? How did you conclude she is "scum"?

I wonder how many of the "hang em" posters on this thread are functioning alcoholics, and how many drive their cars while p*ssed (what about you Saint - ever drive over the limit, or make a mistake and found yourself in deep water?)

Maybe that "alcolohic scum" should also be hanged - or is it OK to put he lives of other road users at risk?

Hanging every addict wont change a damned thing.

Civilised countries did away with the death penalty a long time ago for one simple reason - one miscarriage of justice results in an innocent person dead - and there is no undoing that.

It seems to me that torture and public execution did little to change the rate of crime from the middle ages till now.

Perhaps you can explain how torture and execution lead to improved civil society.

Finally Saint - would you be prepared to be the executioner - or would you prefer to let somebody else do the dirty work for you?

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » May 5, 2009, 9:52 am

Aznyron writes,,,, "steve most people will agree legalization is the only way to go but you also fail to recognize that being illegal promotes more profit for governments to hide and use for covert operations. we live in a sick world and it power & money that drives this world along with B/S religions maybe there is more than they want to report maybe she was a government pawn being used in a covert operation & that why mommy dear is not present nothing would surprise me any more my mind is programed against all governments since they all sell they souls to highest bidder"

555555,,,,, Thanks Ron,,,, I really needed a good laugh,,,,,,, I knew I could count on you to lighten up this terrible situation.. classic Ron :lol: ,,,,,,,,,ROTFLMAO,,,,, LL

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 5, 2009, 12:03 pm

Rufus wrote:The govt here is somewhat reticent in informing embassies, however the worst thing is that the woman has had little if any contact with her appointed advocate since being imprisoned.
Telegraph wrote:Ms Morris said: "She hasn't been appointed a lawyer yet and that has been our concern. We are concerned that any hearing may be quite quick in comparison to what will happen in other countries."
Rufus, a slight inconsistency here. How can you assert that she had had little contact with her appointed advocate, when in fact she didn't even have one, had never seen one and hadn't had one appointed. :?

Rufus, I owe you no apology, for posting facts about your posting habits, whereas your apology to me, for your rude and personal remarks in open forum, is long overdue. Indeed, had I not been feeling charitable at the time and exercised some "jai yen", you would have been banned that very same evening. [-X

And don't think the Mods didn't spot that you went back and changed your offensive posts aimed at certain other posters, immediately after you received the warning and before you shouted that it was all a bit of robust and healthy argument. [-X [-X :fryingpan: :fryingpan:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 5, 2009, 12:12 pm

It's good to see she may now be getting some legal aid/support:
From the BBC News:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8031587.stm

Page last updated at 13:38 GMT, Monday, 4 May 2009 14:38 UK
Lawyer to visit pregnant prisoner

A UK human rights lawyer has flown to Laos to assist a pregnant Briton who faces possible death by firing squad, if convicted of drug smuggling.

Prosecutors say Samantha Orobator, 20, of London, was in possession of 1.5lb (680g) of heroin when she was arrested at Wattay airport, Laos, last August.

Her trial has been brought forward and is due to start this week.

Legal charity Reprieve said its lawyer, Anna Morris, has been given permission to see Miss Orabator on Tuesday

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 5, 2009, 1:36 pm

steveway2 wrote:No - not a drama queen - just belive in due process and the rule of law.

Why is she "scum" if she has not been found guilty? How did you conclude she is "scum"?

I wonder how many of the "hang em" posters on this thread are functioning alcoholics, and how many drive their cars while p*ssed (what about you Saint - ever drive over the limit, or make a mistake and found yourself in deep water?)

Maybe that "alcolohic scum" should also be hanged - or is it OK to put he lives of other road users at risk?

Hanging every addict wont change a damned thing.

Civilised countries did away with the death penalty a long time ago for one simple reason - one miscarriage of justice results in an innocent person dead - and there is no undoing that.

It seems to me that torture and public execution did little to change the rate of crime from the middle ages till now.

Perhaps you can explain how torture and execution lead to improved civil society.

Finally Saint - would you be prepared to be the executioner - or would you prefer to let somebody else do the dirty work for you?
easy tiger !!!!!! you getting yourself at it ,or you just trying to wind me up ? OK lets take it one step at a time , cuz i realise you dont read so good through those rose tinted specks . firstly i apologise to that sweet lady , scum was not the right thing to call an alleged herion smuggler . we could use her mothers terminoligy and call her my baby , or my angel !!!!!!!! secondly as you are insinuating that i drive whilst over the alchahol limit ? as it happens i dont , but good news for you , i was the victim of a drunk driver many years ago . basically the pratt wrecked my life for over two years , so yes i would not object to them serving time for being so stupid . you keep dripping on about addicts , please read my post !!!! she is not an addict . but hanging them all would reduce the demand for these drugs , dont you think , so it might change everything !!!!!! also not once have i said execute her or anyone else for that matter , in my view far to easy on her . civilised countries also still use the death penalty !!!! its the countries that dont , ie the civilised west ????? that have major , major crime problems , you may call this civilised , me ,i just call it bullsh~t . it may be my mind playing tricks with me , but i seem to remember a time when crime was not at its present levels in the UK ,that would be the time when going to prison wasnt a picnic , a time when if you took a life you paid for it with your own , a time when criminals where treated with contempt , a time when old ladies didnt get beaten up on the streets , and felt safe in thier homes . but those dark days are behind us now , thanks to people like your good self , who think treating villians harshly is not the way to go . finally yes i would be quit happy to do the job , if the wages were adequate . i wouldnt lose any sleep over it , but im not sure i would be qualified , as ive never worked in the public service industry !!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 5, 2009, 2:01 pm

Saint,you are truly a funny guy!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>

konstabel els
udonmap.com

Post by konstabel els » May 5, 2009, 2:10 pm

Still no dought the do -gooders will be out in force, pity they dont feel the same way about the victims of heroin , especially those who are burgled , mugged etc, to finance the ----, and mugs like me who's taxes keep the users on the dole and free accomodation.

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » May 5, 2009, 2:13 pm

Saint:

1. Dont have rose tinted specks - just a tad of compassion for my fellow humans
2. Your sarcasm is wasted and your apology is false - you are still calling her scum - but cant explain why. How do you know she is not an addict? What do you actually know about her that allows you to condemn her?
3. I insinuated nothing - I asked a question - your sob story about your past has no affect on me - just as the sob story of the girl you refer to as "scum" has no affect on you
4. You believe it a good thing to hang all addicts and are prepared to do the job yourself - but cant explain why or how that will improve civil society!
5. I have no idea why the crime rate in the UK is so high and the prisons so full - has this increase occurred since the abolition of the death penalty? Are all problems in the UK linked to "drugs" and the lack of a death penalty?
6. Treating villains harshly - no real problem with that, provided due process has been applied - but calling someone scum and wishing ill on them prior to a fair trial - I have problems with that
7. Everybody has memories of a "golden past" - I guess you could say that is looking backwards through rose-tinted glasses - I guess you are referring to your good old days when criminals has standards and were really just misunderstood naughty boys, and they did not beat up old ladies - of course your modern UK crim has none of style of the old days, so we should hang them
8. Not winding you up - just letting you know what I think of your ill considered and irational opinion of the girl you refer to as "scum" (without any knowledge or proof to support that).

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 5, 2009, 2:16 pm

So another one who has convicted and sentenced her, before the trial eh, Konstabel Els!! ;) :roll: [-X

It's not a case of do good- ers. It's case of her being allowed legal representation to understand what she is being charged with and to be able to explain or defend herself.

OK, if she is found guilty and she knew what she was doing at the time, then she can be handed over to you lot to carry out sentence. ;)

konstabel els
udonmap.com

Post by konstabel els » May 5, 2009, 2:37 pm

I'd rather she not handed over to my lot, if found guilty- rather she did her time in Laos, thus a less burden on the law abiding tax payer, still, guaranteed there will be demonstations,( look out for ken livingstone) then a movie, bono to write a song about it :-({|= - can see it all coming a mile away, Oh guys ( those who live in planet real world that is ) I'll take up any wager , that on forthcoming news bullitens - family and friends saying -' she was always helping out with church choir etc'

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 5, 2009, 2:57 pm

Remember that the lawyer assisting this lady probably wont be registered to practice law in Lao.

Still has to have a local lawyer, and in Lao, cant see anyone stepping up to defend her correctly.

Tow the party line, but seen to be doing the best with the Int attention this case will attract.

The Aussies have their own same issues in Indonesia , 1 bird claiming her bag was tampered with and got caught with a load of high quality dope. doing time in Bali

The Infamous Bali 9 - Mules , 9 kg Heroin between them ??, offered a free trip to Bali , then got the gear strapped on them at the hotel. Comes out later that some had done the trip before. Found guilty and some sentenced to death, appeals ongoing, but not looking good for them.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » May 5, 2009, 3:00 pm

I repeat. She has admitted to carrying the drugs for another party. She claims innocence because they were not for her.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 5, 2009, 3:48 pm

Just watched her mother on TV.... :-k ...Something still don't read right.

konstabel els
udonmap.com

Post by konstabel els » May 5, 2009, 5:01 pm

Well BM ' I'm just waiting for the inevitable - 'she sung in the church choir and wanted to volunteer for charity groups after she had finished her travels'

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 5, 2009, 5:05 pm

rufus wrote:I repeat. She has admitted to carrying the drugs for another party. She claims innocence because they were not for her.
And I repeat - she (and anyone else) is entitled to legal representation, and a fair trial. And humane treatment while she is in custody!

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » May 5, 2009, 5:08 pm

To all of you do gooders .... She is SCUM.... And she proved it herself by admitting carrying it for someone else... So Doug my friend dont bite to mr pc, you dont need to prove it now she already did!!!!!

A fair trial is what she will get stop moaning, a fair Loa trial.... she's not in england or ireland or nigeria or holland now!!!!!

The fact she has admited possessing it makes her fair game for any slander on here!!! her treatment leaves a bit to be desired but it will be over soon and she certainly wont remember it!!!!

And no she is not entitled to legal representation!!! it is a privalidge the judge may or may not allow... Again this is a fair trial in Lao!!! Not Europe!!!! Get it??

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 5, 2009, 5:10 pm

So how low do your standards go, seymour? :roll:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 5, 2009, 5:27 pm

Just heard that her lawyer has been refused entry to see her...and wonder what trials are like in Nigeria.. :-k

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » May 5, 2009, 5:29 pm

jackspratt wrote:So how low do your standards go, seymour? :roll:
As no one seems to have commented on the circumstances of her pregnancy whilst in custody.Quite low , I would think. Or is that a normal punishment in Laos.

Return to “World News”