Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Thailand news, views and comments
mak
udonmap.com

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by mak » May 20, 2009, 6:33 pm

1000 baht fine and 6 months suspended jail sentence. Free at last, free at last. Thank the governor of Phuket, you are free at last.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 21, 2009, 2:45 am

Hello udon im back, after my detention. I read the aussie bar owner at 1st pressed charge's but later dropped them this must only be bad publicity for him being an aussie and wanting a fellow aussie a married woman that is, jailed, what is the feelings of the aussies as to his actions and do you think his reputation is damaged.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 21, 2009, 2:53 am

vlad wrote:Hello udon im back, after my detention. I read the aussie bar owner at 1st pressed charge's but later dropped them this must only be bad publicity for him being an aussie and wanting a fellow aussie a married woman that is, jailed, what is the feelings of the aussies as to his actions and do you think his reputation is damaged.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Were you sin binned Vlad? Anyway welcome back. :wave:

Ahem, now back to Trevor McDonald in the studio and Aussie beer mats. :-#

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 21, 2009, 3:08 am

lol cheers irish yes i was a naughty boy.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 4:06 am

did read a report that the beer mats where valued at 50-60 Oz dollars....they are a bit of thin rubber with pictures on them.
And welcome back vlad....mind you i never noticed you where gone.. :lol: only pulling ya plonker..well leg actually, as i am not that way inclined.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 4:22 am

Panick over....Stinky Bar Mat Mum Going Home

http://www.abc.net.au
An Australian mother of four is on her way home to Melbourne after a nearly three week ordeal fighting theft charges in the Thai resort town of Phuket.

Thirty-six-year-old Annice Smoel appeared before the Phuket Provincial Court yesterday afternoon.

The ABC understands she pleaded guilty to the charges of stealing a bar mat at a popular Australian pub in Phuket on May 2.

She was given a six-month suspended sentence with a good behaviour period of two years and was fined the equivalent of about $40.

Mrs Smoel protested her innocence but was still charged by police, who say she and her friends were drunk and abusive.

They deny the accusations.

Thai Immigration Police completed her deportation paperwork last night and returned her passport, allowing her to leave the holiday town.

Ms Smoel was celebrating her mother's 60th birthday with friends who played a practical joke on her by putting the bar mat in her handbag.

The incident has caused embarrassment for Thailand, with police criticised for being heavy handed and being slow to process the case.

But it has also shone a spotlight on the behaviour of Australians travelling in Thailand.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 21, 2009, 6:02 am

not much really changes does it !!!!!! if she had done the same thing in england 230 years ago , she would of suffered the same sad fate .

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » May 21, 2009, 6:49 am

If the owner of the Aussie Bar first pressed chages and thsi becomes known, then I thnik Aussies while give his bar a miss - I will.

She was stupid to not show respect to police (if this is true), but for the bar owner to set police on her seems harsh. Tourist Police in Patong usually seem fairly laidback to me.

Bar owner was on TV in Aus and seemed adamant he was dealing with a thief and that she got waht she deserved.

"Aussie Bar" is a name Ausssie will remember.

Lesson for me: Behave properly in Thailand.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » May 21, 2009, 7:28 am

Steveway2, please get your facts straight. I have a friend who was there at the time:
The lady's friends put the bar towel into her bag. The lady was seen with the bar towel by bar staff and the police searched her bag. The bar owner did not press charges - he was not even in the bar at the time. The lady became abusive towards the police, a simple apology would probably have sufficed. She was then asked to accompany the police to the police station, (an apology would still probably have sufficed, but no). and she did a runner - the cops chased her down Bangla Rd onto the beach. At this stage they took her back to the police station where she became even more abusive. They put her in the clink to cool her off. No charges were ever pressed by the Aussie Bar, but by this stage it was too late anyway.

So before people blame Steve, one of the owners of the Aussie Bar, make sure you know what you are talking about and don't write crap.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 21, 2009, 8:01 am

Unfortunately, whether or not Mr Steve of the Aussie Bar pressed charges, is probably a moot point by now.

From reading reactions on other forums (? fora), he is far from the most popular Australian in Thailand amongst potential Aussie tourists. Whilst he will no doubt retain the patronage of the local Phuket hardcore, he may struggle to get any visits from the tourists.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 21, 2009, 8:06 am

I would suggest she aggravated, if not caused her current situation, by being abusive to the police, including the senior police officer at the local Police station. :roll:

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » May 21, 2009, 8:07 am

Yes Jack, and that is unfair. I have met him and he is a pretty decent guy. I suspect this will blow over in time, but yes, you are right, the patronage of the Aussie Bar may well suffer in the short term. The irony is that it is a very well run bar. No bar fines, big screen TVs and fair prices.

patriot
udonmap.com

Post by patriot » May 21, 2009, 8:10 am

I was having a beer with Steve and Chiller, (Aussie Bar owners) last february and although they were both delighted at the success of the extension of the Aussie Bar, they both were sick to death and had already had a gutfull of the slobs that now frequented the place. A number of the staff also commented on how the general behaviour had deteriorated (especially Bar Towel theft) and consequently had posted extra security and police.
The women in question stole, or she had stolen property on her, and in my book she was in the wrong, stealing is stealing, willy-nilly higgledy-piggledy. Bar towels are not there as freebies, and, like property in hotel rooms, these towels are available to purchase
Also please note, and I'm sure Rufus will back me up, Steve, whom I have known for 9 years, is a decent guy and there's no conceivable way he would have made any effort to "bang up" or cause any unnecessary distress to anyone, especially one of his punters.

patriot
udonmap.com

Post by patriot » May 21, 2009, 8:13 am

rufus wrote:Yes Jack, and that is unfair. I have met him and he is a pretty decent guy. I suspect this will blow over in time, but yes, you are right, the patronage of the Aussie Bar may well suffer in the short term. The irony is that it is a very well run bar. No bar fines, big screen TVs and fair prices.
Probably the greatest loss will be from the back-packer brigade ie, no great loss. It's common knowledge they get tanked up at 7-11 and then run amuck around Bangla.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 21, 2009, 8:21 am

I think the owner is getting a raw deal over this. He was in Australia at the time so no way could he have been involved in her arrest.
I would imagine that initially it was the bar staff who told the police that she was involved in the theft, and from there it's been blown out of all proportion from her reaction and the media getting involved.
Personally, if in Phuket I wont have a problem drinking there. Have good memories of watching Ashes cricket in there with the locals.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » May 21, 2009, 10:27 am

Just read in the Bangkok Post that the Australian female in question was released after paying
1-2k fine or something. If it was planted in her bag then I can almost understand her fright
when collared. being framed in thailand is cause for worry. this is like deja-vous all over again
after that impolite brit tourist at the airport got arrested? agree that they overdid it again. :lol:

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » May 21, 2009, 12:46 pm

Rufus - read my post again - I said IF the bar owner pressed charges - hardly think this is writing crap!!!

I laid no blame against Steve (bar owner) - I assume he is a friend of yours - again what crap?

I said she was stupid to treat police with disrespect - whats crap about that?

On Oz TV the owner of the bar was interviewed (it said "bar owner" on TV) - this person (whether Steve or not) said "theft is theft" and she got what she deserved - I think this attitude a little high minded.

And while the "Real Steve" may be getting undeserved stick - I still think Aussies on hols to Patong will give the "Aussie Bar" a big miss (based on TV interview with supposed "bar owner"). Tell me whats crap about that?

While it may be admirable that you defend your "friend" Steve, your method is as subtle as a kick in the nuts.

And Rufus - learn to read before you tell me I write crap.

universal

Post by universal » May 21, 2009, 1:04 pm

I am Thai, I just wanna make some points here.

To all the Aussies who are criticising my country, please understand that you have to obey the law. If I go to your country and have plant seeds or fresh food in my suitcase without declaration. Do you think your immigration officers will let me go if I just say my friend just wanted to make a joke with me by putting this stuff into my suitcase? What about if I make a runner from your officers and abuse them? Do you think your authorities will still treat me nicely?

The problem here is not about stealing, it is about abusing the authorities. If she respected the police in the first place, didn’t run away and tried to explain the whole story to the police nicely and politely. I’m sure the police would let her go.

You need to respect others, if you expect others to respect you. We are too nice to westerners, this still cannot satisfy someone.

Phuket Governor paid the fine for that Aussie Lady to cool down this temper in Australia which I don’t know why he had to do it. Would Melbourne Governor pay the fine for me if I am committed the crime in Australia?

We are just too compromise, but this is worthless.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 21, 2009, 1:08 pm

I totally agree Universal. A bit of polite respect goes a long way.

I'm sure that this is (yet another) case of a foreigner mouthing off and thus causing the response/outcome that might otherwise not have ensued, - like the guy having his passport questionned at Phuket airport immigration, f'ing and blinding at the Immigration officers.

I suspect that if she hadn't shouted her mouth off at the police apprehending her, and then again at the police station, and then again to the senior police officer, it would have all politely and discreetly been resolved. I understand that she was drunk.

Unfortunately too may farangs, forget the "when in Rome do as the Romans do" philosophy and try and bully and shout their way out of trouble. Thus the poor reputation that we all tend to acquire because of the lout element.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 21, 2009, 1:53 pm

Rufus i can understand you sticking up for steve as stated he was in aus when the bar incident happened , but who was the boss in charge at the time a fellow aussie or a thai. As the kathu police superindent Grissak Songmoonnark said the bar manager at the time of the arrest , wanted to press charge's and bring a prosecution. Still bad publicity and if you were there, what were undercover police doing in the bar or was this exagerated. Because if they were what were they on the look out for. A beer mat theft or something worse. Not my words but the head bib also states it is not the ist incident with aussie tourists he has had to deal with.

Return to “Thailand News”