Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Thailand news, views and comments
saint
udonmap.com

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by saint » May 22, 2009, 8:32 am

it would appear that my comments have rattled the cages of a few of our commomwealth cousins !!! and that because of my observations from the past , that i am in full favour of giving anyone who sidesteps outside the law a bloody good thrashing . this is untrue . i was merely pointing out that the police in europe had a subtle and effective way of dealing with the a~sehole element of the millions of tourists that grace thier shores . and it works very well !!!!! not only does it keep thier own citizens safe , but it also helps to retain a pleasant holiday envoiroment for the rest of the holiday makers who have decided to spend thier hard earned cash in that country . i personally do not care whatever nationality these gobshyts are , my point is , if you visit a forieng country , you are an ambassador of your own country , you should behave yourself , and treat your host people with a little respect , whether they be in authority or just a local peasant !!!!! if this is far to much for our australian contingent to comprehend then maybe , just maybe they should stay at home ...

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 22, 2009, 8:56 am

i think she got off too easy. 1 week in jail, and banned from future visits to thailand would of been more appropriate. her story is bs, she wanted it, she stole, then when caught, resisted arrest.

a thief and a liar, can't stand neither. thailand doesn't need them. 8)

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » May 22, 2009, 9:05 am

Agree 100% LA.

I don,t know what the Ozzies are on about, they are only Pommies in denial :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 22, 2009, 9:41 am

:lol: :lol: You guys are hilarious :lol: :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 22, 2009, 1:31 pm

Talk about winging poms....she(and her mates) are in the club big time, winging badly behaved drunken Oz woman with no respect and a taste for someone elses property. ... :fryingpan: Now if she was a brit the newspapers would of dug up all her history and printed it, wonder what she is really like (apart from the above what we already know)... :-k

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 22, 2009, 3:10 pm

Archie have to stop you there as i am a pom. The senior police officer on phuket has made a statement saying ITS not the 1st australian they have had trouble with didn't here him say pom.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 22, 2009, 4:08 pm

I think arch was pulling ya chain vlad, as with any nation a few let the side down very much including the brits, where most of the aussie's are dinky-di, just like most of the brits are 1st class chaps.....Image

archie
udonmap.com

Post by archie » May 22, 2009, 7:55 pm

Well spotted BM. I was obviously just taking the mick... I knew someone would bite eventually. Its just the SH*T STIRRER coming out in me. Some of my very good friends are Poms, God love em !!! In future Vlad, just ignore my ramblings and no hard feelings eh...

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 22, 2009, 9:08 pm

nah no worry's mate ya big ocker lol. How are the souths gonna do this season. or the eels.

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » May 22, 2009, 9:22 pm

Having lived in patong for 4 years i watched it slowly become a hellhole which is why i moved to udon and stayed for 17 month's,now i am back in patong for about a month before i leave asia for good,i am medically exempt from wearing a crash helmet due to a previous head injury and have all official cert's.Today i had my first encounter with patong bib in 17 months,they refused to accept the certs and i refused to pay fine and asked to see captain in charge.
The change in attitude of patong bib toward's tourists in the last 17 month's stunned me,they simply do not like or want us in patong and made that very clear and i quote"we are the police and the law we decide not doctor,this is thailand and you will respect the police and our law,pay 300thb or go to jail now"
Patong police were never like this,so forget my post about theft is theft.
Patong police are on a witch hunt with a vengence toward's frang.Bewarned :yikes:

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » May 22, 2009, 11:11 pm

ULICK MC GEE wrote:i am medically exempt from wearing a crash helmet due to a previous head injury and have all official cert's.
don't ride a motorbike then - the police in the uk would also wipe their ar5e with your "official certificates".............. \:D/

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » May 23, 2009, 12:29 am

i suggest you look up eu discrimation law's,i could sue the ar5e off them.so pregent women should not be allowed in cars because they can't wear a seat belt,walk to the hospital,dear i'll meet you there :guiness:

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » May 23, 2009, 3:03 am

Clearly there are a few bad apples in every barrel, but I find it disconcerting that neither the police or anyone else for that matter has mentioned the silent majority of tourists who come not only to Phuket but elsewhere in Thailand and have a pleasant time and don't cause or make any trouble, and leave with fond memories of their stay.

Isolated incidents seem to be par for the course and much speculation has been made regarding the beer mat thief, however, I don't see any evidence that the police are doing anything about the two recent premediated murders of foreign businessmen, or am I mistaken. I guess their cases have been filed in the who gives a sh*t they were only foreigners file cabinet. I know what Officer Mangda would say - let's set up an 'OP' and catch some silly drunken tourist stealing a beer mat, that'll make for some juicy news, we might even be lucky enough to get a Le majeste charge out of it.

I suspect that one of the old cliches regarding foreigners in Thailand remains fundamentally true...

They want your money but they don't want you!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 23, 2009, 3:48 am

old-timer wrote:
ULICK MC GEE wrote:i am medically exempt from wearing a crash helmet due to a previous head injury and have all official cert's.
don't ride a motorbike then - the police in the uk would also wipe their ar5e with your "official certificates".............. \:D/

Why are you riding a Motorbike with a fragile head anyway...? surely a safer form of transport would be better for a person in your position....and no fines either,but if you must insist on riding one how about wearing a Turban Yoolick..?, the BiB will be ok with that i am sure, and anyone can get a 'cert' from a 'Doc' for probably anything if they really wanted one.. ;)

If you was an alcoholic and had a 'cert' from the Doc, would that be ok still to drive whilst under the influence...."yeah but ossifer i got a letter from the Doctor he says i am alcohol dependant"..."so you gotta let me go on my wobbly way without paying a fine".. :confused:

I used to get me mum to write a letter for school when i didn't want to do sports lessons...

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » May 23, 2009, 5:07 am

we are well off topic now so i will finish with,the medicial exemption cert is from dept of neurolegy beaumont hospital dublin and has been accepted in ireland for many years and here for the last 4 years until today.You compare me to an alcoholic and a silly child not up to rough and tumble of sport's without any fact's to back it up the point i want to make is there is a vast difference in the attitude of the police in patong compared to 2 years ago which may have contributed in some way to an international incident over a beer towel.
Kevin Rudd has asked not advised aussies to hoilday elsewhere.
i would like to know what brand of beer towel it is to cause such a fuss when the world is on the brink of going bankrupt.
Amazeing Thailand.
to answere your first question it's called freedom of choice,i am riding 36 years and when i can no longer ride 2 wheel's i will get a trike.in the blood boy

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 23, 2009, 5:41 am

Kevin Rudd has asked not advised aussies to hoilday elsewhere.
i would like to know what brand of beer towel it is to cause such a fuss when the world is on the brink of going bankrupt
Don't think the brand came into it...it was more her winging that she was up on a theft charge over a beer mat(and over priced one at that)....bet she never mentioned about all the events leading up to and what really caused her 'predicament' in the first instance anyway.....Ohh they locked me up for something i didn't do...but i was abusive and resisted arrest and was abusive afterwards too...i was drunk and showed no respect to the Authoritys or the Country with my loutish behavior.

Wonder if Kevin Rudd will ever take a holiday there in the future...well he can't now can he really. #-o

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » May 23, 2009, 5:56 am

BM.you are 100% in what you say and it quite clear patong will no longer turn a blind eye to even the smallest incident and i have just remembered there is some summit comming up and this is the start of the clean up so there will not be a repeat of pattaya in patong.

archie
udonmap.com

Post by archie » May 23, 2009, 6:17 am

Sorry Vlad but i dont take a lot of notice of Rugby League as i am originally from Perth which is an Aussie Rules stronghold. From the little i have seen, Parra are going ordinary and the Bunnys not a lot better i think...

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 12, 2009, 5:06 pm

Mouthy Aussie Beer Mat Thief..Denied Visa For USA... ...

EXCLUSIVE: ANNICE Smoel's dream family trip to Disneyland is in tatters after she was denied a US visa because of her Thai conviction.

Ms Smoel had planned to take her four daughters to Disneyland to make up for the family's Thai nightmare.

The trip was all but cancelled after the US embassy knocked back her application for a non-immigrant visa.

Ms Smoel is ineligible because she is listed as a convicted criminal after she was jailed for stealing a bar mat in Phuket.

The 36-year-old Montrose mother said her daughters - aged six to 12 - would be shocked by the latest drama.

"They are going to be devastated, absolutely devastated by this," Ms Smoel said.

"They've been having nightmares and coming into mum's bed at night since I got back.

"It would have been the perfect way to take their minds off all of what's happened."

Ms Smoel received a conviction, a six-month jail term suspended for two years and a small fine after she agreed to plead guilty to theft in exchange for her freedom.

She was given her passport and allowed to leave Thailand after 18 days.

At a meeting with the US embassy in Melbourne yesterday, Ms Smoel was told her conviction for stealing rendered her ineligible for a non-immigrant US visa.

She could be barred from travelling to the US for up to seven years.

"They told me that normally you have to wait five years after a suspended sentence expires to be eligible for this type of visa," Ms Smoel said.

"That's seven years away, my girls will be grown up by then."

Ms Smoel's only recourse relies on the wording of the Thai theft charge.

If her conviction is for a misdemeanor charge and not a felony charge, she may get a reprieve from US authorities.

"I've got to get all the Thai court documents translated into English and hope the charge is a misdemeanor and not a felony, but I'm not very hopeful," she said.

The family was originally to fly to the US in May when Ms Smoel was trapped in Thailand after the bar mat prank.

A US embassy spokesman said it did not comment on specific cases.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 12, 2009, 6:16 pm

:D :D :D

Not the end of the world BM. There is 1 in Hong Kong & 1 in France as well - so she can get arrested in other parts of the world...... :D :D

Return to “Thailand News”