UPS/FEDEX

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mobaan
udonmap.com

UPS/FEDEX

Post by Mobaan » May 24, 2009, 12:02 am

What is the current situation in Udon . Are these agencies represented?
If I send something FEDEX from the US to Udon ,will FEDEX (?) deliver to the outlying villages , or must the item be collected at the office?
How long does it actually take to send some letter this way?

cali4995
udonmap.com

Re: UPS/FEDEX

Post by cali4995 » May 24, 2009, 7:29 am

Good question? If you look on the Udonthani city map you will see the location for the UPS outlet.
At present it doesn't appear FEDEX has a local office, only in Korat. I've sent and received stuff
fedex but using a location outside bkk. Takes 3 days. The Thai EMS is far more dodgy, 2 weeks.
--------------------------------------------------------------
UPS Udonthani
114/8 M. 7
T. Nongbua, A. Muang
Udonthani 41000
Tel.: 66 4232 5720 / 66 8984 99065 / 66 8160 09110
Fax: 66 4232 5720
Monday - Saturday: 08:00 - 17:00 hour
--------------------------------------------------------------
FEDEX Nakon Ratchasima
Korat Office 2110/13-14 Mitraphap Road,
Muang District,
Nakornratchasima 30000 0900hrs-1800hrs (Mon-Fri)
0900hrs-1500hrs (Sat)
Closed (Sun & Public Holiday)
-------------------------------------------------------------

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 24, 2009, 9:37 am

i've used UPS, they will deliver to villages. wanted to when i called to check if there, no additional cost, but i preferred to pick up from their office, this when i lived in ban tad. i've atm cards sent that i needed from states, took a few days, they are fairly prompt. that from east coast, so unless made the morining flight, it takes minimum 2 days just to get to bkk. i've also used regular post to send atm's, just not activated just the one time i needed them fast. figure 10 day reg. post, as a negative. whether ems or not.

Ups is not cheap. 50 bucks rings a bell.
Last edited by laphanphon on May 24, 2009, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 24, 2009, 9:40 am

Got a Fedx about a week ago, the guy was in a yellow and red truck so I think Fedx contracts their pick up and delivery here in Udon.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 24, 2009, 12:54 pm

That red and yellow truck showed up for my absent neighbor yesterdaywith a Fedex delivery!

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 24, 2009, 4:36 pm

I have used FEDEX and UPS. FEDEX arrived via EMS from Bangkok, this was about 2 years ago. Now only use UPS. A bit expensive, have only used for sending and receiving documents nothing big. Last time I sent papers to the Union in Guam. over 1000bt. but defintely save. Can track via internet

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » May 24, 2009, 7:50 pm

Didn't mean to rag on Thai EMS, within the kingdom they may be the best but when sending to the States anyway, they partner with USPS. Thinking it was more economical I tried this with 2-3
packages and it was always 10-14 days despite the 4-5 they assure you of. And it's not cheap either.
Can't complain about Fedex, I preferred to pick it up at the office and they called when it arrived.
What is a yellow and red truck DHL? Oh well, water buffalo express will be ok as long as it gets there. :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 25, 2009, 10:50 pm

Went to UPS today to send some documents and No 2 passport to UK for work visa, they refused, stating u cant send passport outside Thailand. Showed them my 2nd passport with TM card, still no way.

EMS have sent it off tonight.

I did loose / had delayed a delivery of items in jan from EMS BKK, cost me nearly 30000 B, in 2 trips to BKK, they refused to pay compensation, as it did arrive, 3 weeks later !! 2.5 weeks, after i needed it all in Singapore.

DHL will only repackage by EMS to Udon, once it hits BKK.

Fedex can be sent by NOK Cargo at the udon airport, but u wont get an airwway bill number till its repackaged in BKK ! , mind you they will send u the receipt and AWB in the mail to.

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » May 27, 2009, 1:32 pm

Do not under any circumstances have anything sent to Thailand by DHL - they are a bunch of con-artists working in tandem with the thieves at Thai Customs & Excise.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 27, 2009, 1:50 pm

Marmite

Pls detail your experiences and circumstances, as i have used DHL for 20 years ,

If you bring anything into another country , you are subject to local Customs Clearance, if they smell a rat, or its attracts excise, they are entittled to charge you for the item

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » May 27, 2009, 2:25 pm

The last time I used them, they held up 2 cans of malted barley extract in 'customs' for 11 days whilst trying to get me to bribe them.

Never had that problem with FedEx or USPS.

Upon relaying my tale to others when I lived in Bangkok, I got many similar tales back.

They're crooks in my book and I will recommend that no one uses them.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 27, 2009, 2:32 pm

My understanding would be that malted barley extract might come under brewing ingredients and as such be subject to Liquor / Excise duties. Therfore the hold up is actually getting u or ur agent ( DHL ) to pay for it

I tried to ship red wine in with my personal effects 12 months ago and unless i have an Alcohol import licence, it wasnt going to get in.

The other issue is how you declare the item/s

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » May 27, 2009, 2:41 pm

Malted barley isn't alcoholic and is treated as foodstuff. I imported beer commercially into Thailand so I know what I'm doing. It isn't only used for making beer, but a whole range of different products.

I also know what DHL were trying to do.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 27, 2009, 2:46 pm

What im saying is that the Customs see it as a beer making product, therefore attracting attention.

Im sure if you imported this into other countries the same sort of attention might prevail.

What excatly was DHL trying to do ? thats the interesting part i think ?

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » May 28, 2009, 8:55 am

I imported a whole load of beer making stuff via 'standard' post. Went down to the postal clearing office and the guys there were friendly and professional. They checked the bags of white powder to ensure they were not drugs and charged me a fair fee as was written down in their guidelines.

DHL tried to extort money from me before they would do their job. And malted barley is as much a beer making product as a bag of sugar, as I have already said.

Here's another chap who knows DHL for the crooks that they are.

http://teakdoor.com/motoring-in-thailan ... ost1066673

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 28, 2009, 9:11 am

I also encountered problem with DHL, not in Thailand, but in the UK.
I imported some educational material from the USA for a job that I needed to do. The USA company used DHL. When the goods arrived in UK they phoned me & demanded a ridiculous sum in order for my goods to clear customs. UK law is not simple when it comes to importing goods but, generally speaking, educational materials imported from anywhere are tax exempt (although the may not be vat exempt).
DHL were very aggressive in their dealings with me & would not listen to any sort of reason. My only choice was a long delay in receiving the goods, or pay what they said. This agreed to do, as long as they supplied me with a detailed invoice so I could discus it with the Inland Revenue.
When the goods did arrive the 'invoice' from DHL was so vague I could not have discussed it with anyone let alone someone like the IR...
I would not use them again, anywhere in the world.... :(

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » May 28, 2009, 2:13 pm

Linehaul express (Linex) I use, they go via cathay pacific so far have not let me down and deliver to sribunruang ! And I used to work for Fedex in London and Italy
If anyone want any details let me know.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » December 3, 2010, 6:38 pm

Went looking for UPS today but not to be found in the old location. They moved two months ago. Did a little tracking of UPS and found them. New location is about 100 meters north of TJ's on the same side of Nongsamrong. Here's a map they gave me:
menmom 014a.jpg

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 3, 2020, 2:55 pm

Need to 'Bump' this thread to get the latest information and experiences with deliveries to the door.

The current situation the way it is Australia Post (must apply to other countries as well) is not processing International parcel or mail services, that leaves private enterprises like Fedex, DHL or UPS. Fedex did deliver documents to me here in the village back in 2008.

Thank you for any feed back.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » September 3, 2020, 3:37 pm

I tried to send a envelope from Thai post office two weeks ago, to Australia
he said can send anywhere in the world except Australia, that included EMS.

I have mail being sent to me from Australia though.
Posted on 19th August, was in BKK on 2nd Sept.
Not arrived yet.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”