Insomnia

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
polehawk
udonmap.com

Re: Insomnia

Post by polehawk » June 10, 2009, 6:53 pm

I go along with those who read until you get groggy. Trouble is I lay on my side and usually the book falls/slams to the floor and I'm wide awake again. :shock:

Sometimes a relaxation exercise works where you start with your toes and let each part of your body become completely limp and just focus on relaxing. By the time you get to your head you are cutting some z's. :sleepy:

I usually suffer from imsomnia bigtime on long flights like from the US. Arrive in Bangkok with the ultimate jet lag and waste a day sleeping it off in a hotel. Tried taking an Ambien CR the last couple flights and that stuff really does work. Passed out for a solid 8 hour siesta on one of the flights and have never, ever done that before. Missed out on an airline meal, wine and a movie. Wife says I was snoring but didn't bother me a bit!

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » June 10, 2009, 7:06 pm

Lee, you could try eating one lettuce leaf before bed, it contains laudanum and supposed to aid sleep and of course there is lavender in the pillow.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 10, 2009, 7:21 pm

lee wrote:
mortiboy wrote:Can you sleep in the daytime Lee?
I can't sleep day or night. I think a holiday would do me good, I've been working hard and haven't had a proper holiday for a couple of years now. :confused:
Wait until you have kids, I haven't had a decent night's sleep since March 18, 2002 :freak:
Last edited by papaguido on June 10, 2009, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 10, 2009, 7:22 pm

But....LEE? your already on holiday.Just consider ...what would you be doing if in your own country.
Now that would be something to make you sleep.So boring it would send you to sleep.
Next time you go to bed.Think...and think seriously," I am so lucky.I don't go to work tomorrow, My life is what I want it to be."I am lucky.Go to sleep. Tomorrow I have another day" Relax.
For me, Yes.No holiday years now.
The biggest problem with insomnia is......worry. If your mind was clear, you would sleep.You cant allow things to go over and over your mind. so get up, out of bed.Don't think its night time.Do something you like do for a while, then go back to bed.
Only my suggestion but that's all !All people are different.
IMO you have something on your mind needs imitating . But just my opinion. I might be wrong :roll:

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » June 10, 2009, 8:10 pm

I read an article a long time ago (well over twenty years) about some tests conducted in a hospital or old peoples home on the effectiveness of various treatments in helping patients or residents getting to sleep.

The tests were conducted using:
  • 1. A sleeping tablet
    2. A half pint bottle of beer (or ale?)
    3. A placebo
The bottle of beer (or ale) won by quite a margin as being the most effective sleep inducer – comment was made in the article that increasing the dose did not improve the effectiveness :(

Unfortunately I can’t find any reference to this or any similar tests on the internet, so it may or may not be true; however whether true or not, of all the solutions offered, a beer is certainly the one I would be inclined to try first :guiness:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 10, 2009, 8:17 pm

Just drink yourself silly until you pass out :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 10, 2009, 8:48 pm

This might sound silly,but have you had a medical checkup?

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 11, 2009, 7:17 am

I drink some whisky. That usually works (After 3 or 4 tries) but as I consume half a bottle throughout the day,I try not to drink more than that.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 11, 2009, 7:58 am

could it be caffeine ? i know if i have as little as two cups of coffee a day it affects my sleep , and the ability to get to sleep . and coke is even worse .

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » June 11, 2009, 8:05 am

saint wrote:could it be caffeine ? i know if i have as little as two cups of coffee a day it affects my sleep , and the ability to get to sleep . and coke is even worse .
i,m the same as you with caffeine it affects my sleep ......
but with too much coke i just cant stop dancing ... \:D/ ...

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 11, 2009, 8:18 am

Warm Milk with Honey, don't know why but always worked for me.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 11, 2009, 8:32 am

I drink whole bottle of coke(Cola) :roll: a day...with scotch.Maybe effect me sleep wise.
But how long does caffeine take to wear off I wonder?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 11, 2009, 8:44 am

I've been told you should never have Caffeine after midday if you have sleep problems.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » June 11, 2009, 8:53 am

Hey Lee, try the poor mans sleeping pill. If you have not heard of it go to the local bar and barfine out a pill. Go home and take the pill. Go nighty night :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the serious side, Bananas are suppose to contain something to help you go to sleep.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 11, 2009, 9:14 am

Aardvark wrote:I've been told you should never have Caffeine after midday if you have sleep problems.
HA HA! There you go then!.....I drink coke right up to bed time! :yikes: I TING TONG!

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » June 11, 2009, 11:45 am

natural remedy: the vigorous self abuse sleeping pill - just keep on doing it till you pass out!!!

thethailife
udonmap.com

Post by thethailife » June 11, 2009, 3:04 pm

Try a combination of all the suggestions.
1. No caffeine
2. Exercise daily but not within 2 hrs. of bed.
3. Go to bed and wake at the same time each day.
4. Take natural sleep remedy such as valerian root.
5. Meditate immediatly before sleep.
6. Be sure your sleep are is very cool and dark.
7. Listen to ocean sounds in sleep area.
8. Use aroma therapy candles or incense, etc.
9. God forgive me, limit alcohol.
10. Keep a routine schedule if at all possible.
11. Good luck.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 11, 2009, 3:50 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:This might sound silly,but have you had a medical checkup?
I had a full medical at Aek Udon about 2 years ago so I think its about time for another one. Everything was OK although the blood pressure was high. I do have a blood pressure monitor at home and is usually around the 135/85, however when I visit the hospital is always sky rockets to 160+, they call it white coat hypertension. Although I think it's more to do with the good looking nurses they have there. LOL

Anyway thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » June 11, 2009, 8:23 pm

Here is another "natural" relaxer/sleep inducer: Theanine.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/jan ... ine_01.htm
Falling asleep is one thing; staying asleep and getting quality sleep is another. Researchers in Japan gave volunteers 200 mg of L-theanine daily and recorded their sleep patterns on devices worn around their wrists. The L-theanine didn’t cause the subjects to sleep longer, but it did cause them to sleep better. It was documented that sleep quality, recovery from exhaustion, and refreshed feelings were all enhanced by L-theanine. Those taking L-theanine felt like they slept longer than they actually did. This is good news for people who don’t get enough sleep, or those who want to sleep less and do more.
I remembered I had some Melatonin/Theanine tablets, and googled Theanine. Many of these "natural" sleep remedies work best in conjunction with another remedy.
For me, I have no problem falling asleep, staying asleep is my problem.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 12, 2009, 2:27 am

It is now 2.20 am.Good morning! all you non sleepers!
As I mentioned in a previous post, I drink loads of cola right up to bedtime.Always sleep straight away.But when wake in the night,difficult to get to sleep again.
So, as there is much debate on the caffeine consumption causing the problem,I decided to only drink soda/ soft drink with my whisky.
Last night so sleepy.Went off like a baby.(10 pm) ..........1.00 am, woke up wide awake!feel like doing marathon!
So bang goes that theory ! Now I have poured myself a large whisky and coke.I feel sleepy already.

Return to “Health & Beauty”