Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Thailand news, views and comments
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by beer monkey » June 12, 2009, 6:32 pm

Or why don't her Husband take the kids...simple, but she is still making a song and dance about her plight....arrrrr shame isn't it.

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » June 12, 2009, 10:15 pm

The whip has been cracked on bib in patong,no more sitting in police box watching tv,they are everywhere book in hand,every night the unit leader is on the prowl making sure bib are doing their job,they are certainly on a mission.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 12, 2009, 10:39 pm

What do you think the "mission" is Ulick???
To uphold the law of the land .....or
Hassle & extort money from Foreigners??

(plus, is it actually better or worse for you as a Falang there now???)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 12, 2009, 10:49 pm

If they crack down on people who really do flout the law then thats got to be a good thing...hasn't it..?

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » June 13, 2009, 5:27 am

the mission is to clean up patong and they are doing a very good job,you actually feel safe walking at night on bangla rd now,there is a good atomsphere here now.
two night's ago bib lifted all street vendor's,bar's have to close on time now,as i said unit leader is on top of bib all the time.
In my opinion the major heroin bust here about 3/4 month's ago was a wake up call and i do not think it is a shake down on frang and yes patong is much improved for frang and thai alike. :guiness:

Casper
udonmap.com

Post by Casper » June 13, 2009, 6:19 am

Does this mean the so called Tuk Tuk mafia have to charge more for a Taxi Ride.

Or have their prices dropped to help Thailand recover from the tourist down turn.

Will be heading down next month would be nice if they can have the place cleaned up by then.

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » June 13, 2009, 7:13 am

Motorbike taxi's are now asking 100thb and tuk tuk 200thb,i stopped useing tuk tuk's about 4 year's ago,but that's another story.Now If a M/B taxi quote's me 100thb i say nothing and keep walking until i get a cheaper one,40thb/60thb.
Unfortunely the year's of neglect by previous top brass in bib will not vanish over night but the replacement top brass seem to be on top of situation and rome was not built in a day,now as i already said the atmosphere here is good and will get better week by week,you should enjoy your visit except for M/B taxi's and tuk tuk w___er's . The outbreak of swine fever now stand's at 30 case's will not help :guiness:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 13, 2009, 8:43 am

ULICK MC GEE wrote:the mission is to clean up patong and they are doing a very good job,you actually feel safe walking at night on bangla rd now,there is a good atomsphere here now.
two night's ago bib lifted all street vendor's,bar's have to close on time now,as i said unit leader is on top of bib all the time.
In my opinion the major heroin bust here about 3/4 month's ago was a wake up call and i do not think it is a shake down on frang and yes patong is much improved for frang and thai alike. :guiness:
that is great news for all concerned , residents and tourists alike . just goes to show that a little posative action goes a long way . phuket , for all its faults is a pearl in thailands crown . its a shame it took so long to kick start the clean up , but tells me the new government is actualy doing something posative now and is a glimmer of light for the countries tourism future , im sure the results are being closely monitored and maybe the tactics will be employed in other areas that need a good clear out !!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » June 13, 2009, 11:42 am

I realize that this lady's case was widely publicized, but under regular circumstances how would U.S. immigration be aware of her crime? Is there some sort of computerized reporting system that all nations can use to track an individuals criminal activity? I know that the Australian gov't would be aware of the offense, but another nation as well? Is Big Brother really that big and that efficient? It's not like she committed a terrorist crime. Are they afraid she might steal Mickey Mouse souvenirs? Does this mean that someone caught shoplifting in Thailand can only travel back to their home country?

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 13, 2009, 11:58 am

tutone wrote:I realize that this lady's case was widely publicized, but under regular circumstances how would U.S. immigration be aware of her crime? Is there some sort of computerized reporting system that all nations can use to track an individuals criminal activity?
I would hope there was a computerized tracking system to track down felons trying to enter the country. But if there is not, she would have to have reported it on her application for her visa to enter the U.S. If she did not disclose it, that constitutes perjury and if they ever found out, she would have more grief than she ever had in Thailand.

i don't think they are worried about her stealing souvenirs, probably more like worried about someone with a history of drunk, disorderly, resisting arrest, etc. America has enough of a problem with those home grown types without importing trouble.

She could always appeal with the Immigration folks and explain the circumstances, but is a trip to Disneyland really worth it?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 13, 2009, 12:05 pm

I think what is normal is the US Embassy asks for a Police clearance from your Country of Origin. As the Embassy was aware of the problem in Thailand it would have been transferred automatically to the Police, and therefore would show up on her clearance report. A Police clearance is standard for most countries and she should have been aware of it in the first place. My wife has needed three so far to enter Oz, apply for citizenship, and the latest in Oz for a job as a cleaner in a Hospital. Get used to it, Big Brother is alive and well =;

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 13, 2009, 12:22 pm

Of course British citizens are well aware of the embargo possibilities Ever since the issue of the new passport with embedded chip. The information contained on it has been open to discussion. Some think criminal convictions are listed with a lot of other personal info.The govt has never denied this, nor confirmed. It does however remain a very possible scenario. Most of the Commonwealth countries will not permit those with convictions to enter. Including Australia, funny when you think about it,New Zealand and Canada. A British convicted criminal can however travel freely throughout the EEC, but not those on a child register. So Big Brother is not watching you, he's with you in your passport.all the way. :lol:

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 13, 2009, 12:32 pm

Yes TB, my latest Passport has an embeded chip in it also. Only used it once, so next time I go through Customs I'll study the expression on their face :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 13, 2009, 1:53 pm

I would hope that all immigrations have access to all criminal information of all passport holders. her main problem from the article, seems to be registered as a felony, which guessing will bar her travels from/to most countries knowing of the arrest. she's a thief, liar, cheat, and very fortunate, inappropriate leniency was granted her, IMHO. i wouldn't want her in my country, especially since she seems to have a drinking problem and thought process effected by it. have enough local idiots, don't need to import them, stay home please, by choice or regulations. i don't have a problem with big brother tracking convicted criminals. 8)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 13, 2009, 2:48 pm

welcome back !!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> the voice of commom sense has spoken.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 13, 2009, 3:49 pm

Wonder if she was going to appear on any 'talk shows' whilst in the US.... :-k

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » June 13, 2009, 10:24 pm

beer monkey wrote:Wonder if she was going to appear on any 'talk shows' whilst in the US.... :-k
Jerry Springer :drunk: :guiness: :fryingpan:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 14, 2009, 9:46 am

In my view, any country which bans a tourist on the basis of a conviction for a minor offence is not worth visiting.

Aa from memory, you are not asked for a police clearance when applying for a tourist visa to the US - rather you are asked to declare that you don't have a record. But that may have changed.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 14, 2009, 12:02 pm

minor offence
not quite sure if happening in the USA, it would of been considered a minor offense, as it wasn't here, she was facing jail time. we don't know the true story, but theft, depending on value, a unique item, possible expensive, would make it grand theft in usa, a felony, and since many laws written a long time ago, inflation may put many things in that category. resisting arrest, possibly with physical contact, simply pushing an officer out of the way would constitute assault in some countries, especially in the states, assault a cop, and you're going to serve a little time. most of the above are felonies, here, there and everywhere.

agree, simply have a few to many and trying to pinch a souvenir isn't going to put her on the interpol / homeland security risk list. but she made her own bed, and now she has to live with it.

again, no problem w/big brother tracking convicted....felons. with any luck for her, it will get lowered to misdemeanor, but that won't guarantee usa visa, too much publicity now.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » June 14, 2009, 1:20 pm

Since she is Australian I took a check on Visa requirements there and item 29 seems to cover indiscretions even minor ones, so she should not have been surprised to learn USA has similar requirements.

Return to “Thailand News”