What does your gf or wife think about Falang land?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
DeNuit
udonmap.com

Re: What does your gf or wife think about Falang land?

Post by DeNuit » June 30, 2009, 7:43 pm

So a social network without other thais if possible ; oky doky.

As for the "out most night's" that wouldn't be a relationship I would like for myself... but if you are both happy like that, it comes back to the infamous "up to you" doesn't it ;)

dbriggins
udonmap.com

Post by dbriggins » June 30, 2009, 9:08 pm

Just from what my wife has told me, I wonder how many Thais really don't like the social structure they are in, but just assume that's the only way it can be? Most of the Thais that I know in the US don't want to return to Thailand, and when they visit, become very irked with the expectations placed on them by their friends. But then most of my Thai friends have been here in the US for many years, have attended college here, and as my wife says, "think differently than the average Thai."

My sister-in-law cried the first several months she was in the US. 25 years later, she contemplates retiring in Thailand and isn't too sure about it. Her Thai husband would rather stay here, because he thinks it will be cheaper, in the long run, than having to keep up with the Jones in Thailand. "You've lived in the US all this time, why isn't your house bigger? Why don't you drive a Benz? Why don't you take trips to Europe every year? Why don't you donate to temple? Why Why Why..."

Farang Land doesn't sound so bad when the alternative is looked at. As Farangs in Thailand, expectations can be shrugged off. Not so for our Thai mates.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 30, 2009, 9:22 pm

I Heard there is a very good Thai Massage parlour in Margate....... :shock: :shock: :roll: :oops: :lol:

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 30, 2009, 10:53 pm

Jackspratt, is that a picture of Margate Florida, or Margate New Jersey?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 30, 2009, 10:57 pm

Stantheman wrote:Jackspratt, is that a picture of Margate Florida, or Margate New Jersey?
It says Margate ENGLAND on the bottom of picture.....

DeNuit
udonmap.com

Post by DeNuit » June 30, 2009, 10:59 pm

Stantheman wrote:Jackspratt, is that a picture of Margate Florida, or Margate New Jersey?
I'm not Jackspratt but it is written on the picture "The Gape, Margate, England"... there is a Florida in England ? A New Jersey ? ;)

(PS : oups... post in same time as 747man... well, you get the idea ;) )

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 30, 2009, 11:06 pm

The Gap....in Margate circa 1890's.....didn't know they had stores back then, and especially one in ye-olde Margate.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 30, 2009, 11:43 pm

beer monkey wrote:The Gap....in Margate circa 1890's.....didn't know they had stores back then, and especially one in ye-olde Margate.
Don't THINK they had Thai Massage parlours there,then Sean OR Do YOU know different ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DeNuit
udonmap.com

Post by DeNuit » June 30, 2009, 11:52 pm

747man wrote:
beer monkey wrote:The Gap....in Margate circa 1890's.....didn't know they had stores back then, and especially one in ye-olde Margate.
Don't THINK they had Thai Massage parlours there,then Sean OR Do YOU know different ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't know about Margate... well probably not in Margate.. but they were some underground opium smoking places in London around 1890's no ?... so maybe some "massage" parlours there too ? ;)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 1, 2009, 4:57 am

747man wrote:
I wonder when the first Thai set foot in England......someone had to be first, would it be Consular/Embassy staff.. :-k

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 1, 2009, 6:47 am

Beer Monkey, don't know if this was first, but very early in Thai history with west, got this from Wikipedia
"individual Narai's reign saw a major expansion of diplomatic missions to and from Western powers, most notably France, England, and the Vatican. Missions were also sent and received from Persia, India and China, as well as other neighbouring states. Another notable feature of Narai's reign was the unprecedented influence of foreigners at the Siamese court, embodied in the meteoric rise of Constantine Phaulkon, a Greek adventurer who would eventually hold the modern equivalent of the post of Prime Minister.

individual Narai especially sought to expand relations with the French, as a counterweight to Portuguese and Dutch influence in his kingdom, and at the suggestion of his Greek councillor Phaulkon. Numerous embassies were exchanged in both directions. A first Siamese ambassador to France was sent in the person of Phya Pipatkosa on board the Soleil d'Orient, but the ship was wrecked off the coast of Africa after leaving Mauritius, and he disappeared.[2][3] A second embassy was sent to France in 1684 (passing through England), led by Khun Pijaiwanit and Khun Pijitmaitri, requesting the dispatch of a French embassy to Thailand.[4] They met with Louis XIV in Versailles. In response, Louis XIV sent an embassy led by the Chevalier de Chaumont. A second Thai embassy to France was led by Kosa Pan in 1686. "

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 2, 2009, 4:24 am

1680's..that will do for me.
Nice one Stan.

snowman
udonmap.com

Post by snowman » July 5, 2009, 2:59 am

My TW likes it here in Michigan. She likes to see the sights as she says,and loves to go fishing especially in the winter on ice.When spring arrives she is out working in her garden planting veggies and flowers. She has met several other Thai ladies that have lived in this small town for a number of years so she can get together for a gossip now then and make some Thai food for them to enjoy .Sometimes I get the feeling that she wants to stay here instead of going back to Udon. I just tell her it's up to you.

Garnet
udonmap.com

Post by Garnet » July 13, 2009, 1:01 am

My wife LOVES it here in the West! She got her first ever Visa allowing her to leave Thailand in 2006 -- her dream! -- and arrived here in Canada on May 10 of that year.

Sure, she's been back every year since -- even though I haven't been able to afford to go, too, since my last visit in 2005 when she and I married. But her mother and her two sons were there -- at least, until her visit last year. We had finally gotten her boys approved for Visas, so Jack returned to Canada with them last September. (I was "inspired" to commence a blog that month that I have haphazardly maintained: http://siamlongings.blogspot.com. Initially, it was intended to be something of a family album; but it didn't take too long before I started using it as a medium to bitch and complain whenever the mood struck.)

So here I am, facing my 60th birthday this coming October 11. My dream for the past decade or more was that I'd Retire at the end of this year, and go away some place inexpensive that would make my government Pension livable. You see, I'd still have to work another couple of years at least to finally have that Pension achieve $2,000 per month; but had I been unencumbered now, with whatever the Canada Pension would add to this -- plus any Old Age Pension by the time I'm 65 -- I could have been free.

Not so with a Thai wife here, and her sons aged 11 and 14. I need a decent full-time Salary.

Jack -- bless her -- says that I can still Retire. But the reality is against that. Her part-time earnings at the Thai restaurant she works at couldn't even comfortably support her.

She speaks of us returning to Thailand at my Retirement, but she also would like her sons to get through school here, and then be old enough to decide for themselves what they want to do with their lives. Remain in Canada...or return to Thailand, and take their risks there, as in poor-paying employment opportunities, the possibility of mandatory military service, and so forth.

We're even buying two rai of land in her Nong Soong village later this year -- she will be going back in September or October to finish this purchase. At this juncture, it isn't likely the boys and I will also go, unless a financial miracle thrusts itself upon us. The entire purchase is being done on my line of credit.

Further illustration of Jack's adaptation to Canada is that she got her driver's licence a few weeks ago -- she'd only ever driven a motorbike in Thailand. She tried for a learner's permit a dozen times here before finally scoring high enough for the permit, yet somehow she got her actual driver's licence on one attempt -- that blew me away!

And now she's even got a car -- we bought it July 4th. I believe it's a 2003 Mazda. The owner had wanted something like $3,400 or $3,500, but she got him to agree to take $2,900 when she spoke to him over the phone.

I'm not car savvy, but a couple guys we know who are conversant with motor vehicles agreed that she got a good deal once they checked the vehicle out. To get her registered with the car, plus some plates and three months of insurance -- another $905. Again, it's all been done on line of credit.

Yet more proof of her settlement here is that she wants to get one of her two sisters a Visa to come here in the next year. It would have to be on a work permit basis, but the Thais are adept at pulling this off because of the specialization of Thai restaurant cookery. And this sister has owned her own such business in the past in Phuket. Incidentally, as of this year, the sister has a baby who would also have to come.

The ol' household could be getting pretty full if this all plays out.

So yes, some Thai gals do damned nicely out of the homeland. Jack had never crossed her country's borders before -- the best she'd ever done is straddle the Thai-Laos border on the Friendship Bridge or some such place back early in this decade before she'd ever met me. She told me that the experience was important to her at that point in her life -- she was in her late 20s, and it was the first time she had ever set foot outside Thai territority.

She actually got to visit Laos for real a year or two ago on one of her visits back to Thailand. She and a friend crossed over and spent a few hours there, just long enough to have a meal and check out some shops and sights.

By the time I met Jack in early 2003, she had a fair command of conversational English, thanks to two Americans she met early into this decade when one of them was getting married -- both of these guys took to her because of the aid she gave them in everything involved with that wedding, so they later helped fund her for some English schooling in Udon Thani. I mentioned it in a 2006 thread when I posted about Jack getting her Visa (http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... t1300.html). To recap, while I was surfing for some Thailand-related photos to add to a file I used for a screen-saver, I stumbled upon a Web site belonging to the guy who had come along to Thailandin the role of photographer for his groom friend. A collection of photos he had profiled included a few that I quickly realized were of the lady who was now my wife. So I got in touch with him. It developed that both he and the other American had always wondered on Jack's fate.

If I'm going to get to Thailand before I'm too deep into my 60s, then I'm convinced I'm going to have to figure out how to make some sort of living via the Internet -- I've been trying the lotteries regularly since the late 1970s, and only ever won $1,000 as my top prize -- so that hasn't worked. And what bloody use is Retiring now if I'll need to work a second job part-time? It still won't allow me to go anywhere for long. I want to be able to get out of here and live abroad while I still have enough vigour to make it fully achievable.

But this post is about the adaptation of a Thai wife abroad, and I wanted to show that a decent and basic country girl can do quite well once she gets the opportunity. Jack has lots of Thai and Lao friends she has gotten to know over here; and because of her extensive collection of contacts, just last night she, I, and another Thai/Farang couple attended an anniversary party of yet another Thai/Farang pairing, and there had to have been a dozen similar couples in the broad mix of attendees.

Between the babble of Thai and the welcome sight of so many beautiful, friendly Thai and Lao ladies parading about and arresting the male eye, it was almost like experiencing an evening in Thailand!

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » July 13, 2009, 1:13 am

"What does your wife think of Farlang Land"

Luckily..... Not-a-lot! :lol: ...... She's been there, done that, and happier in Thailand!
Says a lot for the UK :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 13, 2009, 4:20 am

Garnet wrote:So here I am, facing my 60th birthday this coming October 11.
Looking good at 60 though Garnet. ;)

Garnet
udonmap.com

Post by Garnet » July 13, 2009, 8:04 am

You've always been too cool for words, Beer Monkey!! It's no wonder whatsoever that you're so generally popular on the Forum.

So...thanks, my friend!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 13, 2009, 10:57 am

Garnet wrote:You've always been too cool for words, Beer Monkey!! It's no wonder whatsoever that you're so generally popular on the Forum.

So...thanks, my friend!
Garnet,You'll have BM's head ( The one on his shoulders ) Swelling up even more,Watch it,Please !! ;) ;) ;)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 13, 2009, 9:53 pm

Well Nitaya is counting the days now until we go back,She can't wait.....Mind you she's got a few quid in the bank over in Blighty.....So I think I will let her buy the :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: when we get back.....555

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”