Thai Promo Fare v Nok v Air Asia

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Promo Fare v Nok v Air Asia

Post by beer monkey » July 23, 2009, 5:23 am

bm checking back in...

Sounds like you will be super busy,and chock dee with the mobile 'shop' selling dog grooming items to Issanites.....You see , i knew it..!!! I had you down as a 'pen' man...i am thinking you keep several in your top pocket too.

THAI are very accomodating to Thai nationals ..ie The Good Mrs bm and cutie child...a bit of excess weight mai me bpen ha....another perk of having a Thai wifey.... Oooo i should of added that to the why i like Thai women thread ....

Cheers all bm.

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » July 23, 2009, 7:19 am

Does anybody have experience or advice on using Air Asia for the Perth-KL-Phuket run?

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 23, 2009, 8:31 am

Tuesday I did the return UTH -BKK -UTH with THAI. I would have considered NOK but they do not have an evening flight. All went well, I checked in for both ways at Udon check in, saved me checking in again at BKK when I returned. Both flights on time and the return trip on the bigger 737/600 was full. You can still get tickets at the Thai ticket office in Udon airport for B1540 - O/W.
One thing I would like to add is that the Air Asia flight from BKK - UTH on the same day was delayed for two hours. My THAI airways flight left bang on time and reached Udon a couple of minutes ahead of time at about 7.10pm.
The Air Asia passengers were supposed to arrive at Udon at about 5.15pm but they were still collecting there bags at Udon (by then about 7.20pm) when I arrived.
Another proven reason why I will never fly Air crap Asia.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 23, 2009, 8:35 am

And I forgot to mention - The Passengers traveling on Air Asia to BKK on the Tuesday evening flight were also delayed two hours................unreliable and crap!......................................... \:D/

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 23, 2009, 9:18 am

The afternoon AA flight yesterday was also delayed. A friend received a SMS on Tuesday to let her know about yesterdays delay.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 23, 2009, 11:50 am

Can only presume that getting a 2 hour delay when all flights within Thailand take 1 hour,means they do not have enough aeroplanes to deal with all their routes,one plane out of service surely buggers up their whole policy of quick turnaround.
Jack kindly quoted on another post about their airline quality rating of 3 stars,maybe more discontened customers should be going on to the forum there to bring their rating down to 2 stars.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 23, 2009, 12:23 pm

I've travelled all three....Nok Air,Air Asia and Thai from Bangkok to Udon return and for this 1 hour flight theres not much difference in quality imo.
Nok,I've probably travelled the least....one or two delays but OK.
Air Asia,a couple of 1 hour delays but one pre-warned by sms the day before.You have to pay for food and drink but for such a short flight I dont bother.Now you get boarding cards theres no longer the sprint for the gate which is a big improvement.I think Air Asia are fine,really.
Thai,never had a delay and no need to worry about baggage allowance.Get a piece of cake and coffee included in the price which,admittedly,is usely the highest of the three carriers.

For a short break in Bangkok I used to fly Thai when they went to Dom Mueang because it was so easy to pick up your luggage and get a taxi as opposed to the long walk or bus ride to the baggage re-claim at Suvarnabhumi.
But if you have an International flight connection it has always made more sense to me to fly to Suvarnabhumi.

Incidentally in April we flew from Bangkok to Bali with Air Asia which was a 4 hour plus journey.Both flights were on time and the check-in at Suvarnabhumi was open prompt at 4am for the outbound flight.I think we had to pay a couple of hundred baht or so for the weight of the luggage.Admittedly we flew from Udon to Bangkok with Thai the day before,so didnt have to pay a baggage charge for that part of the journey,but that was more to do with convenient flight timings.

But the fact we are having this debate at all......I think it should make us realise how lucky we are having 3 carriers operating out of Udon so we do have a choice as to who we use.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 23, 2009, 12:37 pm

But the fact we are having this debate at all......I think it should make us realise how lucky we are having 3 carriers operating out of Udon so we do have a choice as to who we use.
That is, indeed, an excellent point Zidane. The flight time between BKK & Ko Samui is not much different to BKK to Udon. Go and look for a return to Ko Samui and the price is between 7,000 & 9,000 baht on Thai....lack of competition = lack of a good price.....

pongpong
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pongpong » July 23, 2009, 10:15 pm

Only thing about Nok Air is their planes are quite old and have been retired by Thai Airways, at least air asia have a modern fleet

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 23, 2009, 10:36 pm

One THING that NOBODY has mentioned is that if your on Thai,AND it's Pis*sing down at Udon Airport,YOU don't get wet as Thai use the Airbridge direct from the Terminal to the Aircraft door 8) 8) :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 23, 2009, 11:28 pm

747man wrote:One THING that NOBODY has mentioned is that if your on Thai,AND it's Pis*sing down at Udon Airport,YOU don't get wet as Thai use the Airbridge direct from the Terminal to the Aircraft door 8) 8) :lol: :lol: =D> =D>
=D> =D>
And at the end of the Airbridge I am always lucky enough to find a free newspaper to read before boarding.
Could be a long rainy season 8)

immortal1977
udonmap.com

Post by immortal1977 » July 23, 2009, 11:51 pm

Go and look for a return to Ko Samui and the price is between 7,000 & 9,000 baht on Thai....lack of competition = lack of a good price.....
Unfortunately Bangkok Air still has a monopoly position on Samui, since several months they indeed have a cooperation with Thai Air which is now operating some daily flights between BKK and USM as well.
Normally you'll find the cheapest tickets for the first morning and last evening flight but prices are still too high... :mad:

UbonTaz

Post by UbonTaz » July 24, 2009, 9:45 am

After reading this thread I visited the Thai Airways website. There is a Cool Summer promotion banner I clicked on. The promo stated 900TB fares to and from Ubon and Udon until Sept 30. When I tried to book via this promo all the seats had been sold through the end of the promo.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 24, 2009, 9:49 am

UbonTaz wrote:After reading this thread I visited the Thai Airways website. There is a Cool Summer promotion banner I clicked on. The promo stated 900TB fares to and from Ubon and Udon until Sept 30. When I tried to book via this promo all the seats had been sold through the end of the promo.
Taz, TRY their Airport office ( STILL advertising it yesterday for 1540 baht Udon-Bangkok..... :D :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 24, 2009, 9:53 am

747man wrote:One THING that NOBODY has mentioned is that if your on Thai,AND it's Pis*sing down at Udon Airport,YOU don't get wet as Thai use the Airbridge direct from the Terminal to the Aircraft door 8) 8) :lol: :lol: =D> =D>
As do Air Asia of course =D> :lol:

UbonTaz

Post by UbonTaz » July 24, 2009, 10:04 am

Thanks.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 24, 2009, 10:30 am

jackspratt wrote:
As do Air Asia of course =D> :lol:
Really Jack ?? I did'nt know that,Ive only ever seen AA parked & loading pax on The Apron....

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 24, 2009, 10:33 am

Last 3 flights with AA (to and from) the plane has been at the airbridge.

If I remember correctly (from early this year), Nok uses the apron.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 24, 2009, 10:53 am

As I said Jack ,I have have'nt flown AA inthe last couple of years,Only Nok three times yes boarded from the Apron,&Yes the weather was dry ALL 3 times,and Thai twice in the same period,and boarded via The Airbridge :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 24, 2009, 11:08 am

I was curious about that. I flew Nok from UTH-BKK last week for the first time in over a year, and was surprised that we boarded from the apron. I just assumed they were having problems with the bridge. So they do this routinely? Is it just for cost savings? I can't imagine that it would cost that much for the attendant that drives the bridge into place. Admittedly they probably cost more than your humble pedal saamlaw driver :D but they always seem to have a flock of attendants standing around doing not much of anything.

Oh well, I always make flight decisions based on a combination of flight times and cost, irrespective if I have to traipse across the runway. In fact it brings back some nostalgia of flying in the old days before they had these new fangled bridges.

Return to “Travel & Transport”