Montly rental in Udon?

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
marti

Montly rental in Udon?

Post by marti » April 5, 2009, 6:47 pm

Hi, I'm arriving in Udon next Thurday (April 9th) by way of Dublin, Istanbul and Bangkok...lol I'lll be a zombie by the time I get there :confused: Anyway, I will be staying for just over 3 weeks adn I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about A1 guesthouse or Mono Place, which would you recommend, if either. Both are guest friendly but that realy isn't my main purpose for visiting Udon yet good to know, just incase. Both are approx. 4000 Baht for a month, which seems rather reasonable!

By the way I didn't know there was a smoking ban in Thailand, when will this madness stop,lol... ](*,) Guess there are plenty of pubs and eateries where you can sit outside and watch the smog go by? :fryingpan: Is Udon polluted, it's just that I have mild asthma and don't want to go belly up while in Thailand (belly down is fine but not belly up,lol)

I heard that you can rent a moped very cheaply but I'm a bit hesitant about that as I can barely ride a bicycle and don't drive at all!!! Technically I've read that you nedd an IDP but that that is never enforced, unless the cops are looking for some beer money I guess. I had been thinking of going to Cambodia but heard horror stories about the police there so, no...Hopefully it's not like that in Thailand.

Does anyone know how much monthly rentals at BB Resort are (I think thats the name of it?...(the one with the kangeroos hopping about) It has a pool doesn't it? (A1 and Mono Place don't)

And whats this I hear about a water festival? Sounds like fun, well, not really but I feel like I have to say it does... :-k Is it true folks will just come up to ya and drench you in water....dear God! I'm trying to figure out where to keep my mobie phone and money in a situation like that!!!? Wrapped in plastic I guess.

Anyway, I have been reading about "what not to do" in Thailand.....don't point at royal portraits, don't point in general, don't point with your feet (not that I do anyway?!), don't pat folks on the head, again I don't do that here why would I do it there?!, if you drop some money don't try and stop it with your foot as it has the image of an individual and might be interpreted as disrespect, okayyyy..........and what else, ah, can't remember the other stuff now, I'll find out as I go.....

Well, any info bout anything (except asthma and smoking, lol) is much appreciated guys. Thanks

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Montly rental in Udon?

Post by BobHelm » April 5, 2009, 7:03 pm

Sorry I haven't stayed at Mono or A1, so can't comment.
BB does have a pool but you will almost certainly need transport as well - it is a fair bit out of town. Can catch Baht Buses during the day,but a bit stuck at night - either way.
Personally I would recommend either Top Mansion or Ruy Suk as reasonable places to stay - about 350 baht a night, but comes down for longer stay. Both are within walking distance of most things in town.
I would not recommend that you hire a motor bike unless you are pretty competent on one - Udon is a nightmare to drive in unless you are VERY sure what you are doing & sometimes even then...
Yes, smoking and Udon really isn't too much of an issue - restaurants are for the most part a "no-no" (except for some of the outdoor Thai ones) but I think just about every bar has outside areas.
Pollution isn't too bad in Udon - nothing like BKK & probably better than most UK cities.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 5, 2009, 7:14 pm

Just a side issue as u have mentioned op monthly rental but staying for only 3 weeks.Is it possible to say to the resorts/accomodation that you want to book for a month to get the extra discounted roomrate but then leave after 3 weeks.
As Bob has advised best to stay central for your trip.Enjoy songkran and maybe go and celebrate at Mr Tongs as he tends to pleasure the crowds not sexually with his dancing antics. 8)
Last edited by pompui on April 5, 2009, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 5, 2009, 7:15 pm

Marti,
A1 is outside the ring road and therefore a ways away from the city main shopping and nightlife, Mono isn't that far away from all. We have a friend who stayed in Mono and found it OK and tidy.
I would agree though with Bob, Ruy Suk and Top Mansion are IMO a better bet but you'll need to contact them pronto because of the water festival, Songkran, and yes you may well just get a bucket of water thrown over you during the day, I've found things die down from early evening so going out at night is not a problem. Have a google on Songkran to get a feel for the festival and it's background, it's quite a fun time.
Ah yes, mobile and wallet in a good quality plastic bag, I found out the hard way on during my first Songkran visit where both were sodden within minutes of leaving the hotel in BKK.....
Hope this helps

marti

Post by marti » April 5, 2009, 10:39 pm

Thanks for the info, folks. Just wondering whether it's true that the US military does exercises in or near Udon? I've read that they swarm the place and try to take it over every now and then.....that sucks. Did some basic training many years ago and that's about as close as I wanna get t the military. Met GI Joe's in eastern Europe before and didn't like their attitude :drunk: Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » April 6, 2009, 9:43 am

do not forget the electric bill - from 1000 to 2000 baht extra

for me I find Ruy Suk to wxpensive and same out of centrum
Top masion have only hard matrass, same as sleep on the floor, but in centrum, if this is what you want

if you want huge rooms, there are more place in town
lotus condutel, nice an cheap - 279 baht incl. everthing.

but what do you want, and where do you want to stay. in a quit place with wife or in the sexy city

good look

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 6, 2009, 10:26 am

i would go with ruysuk, beds at top mansion are just too hard. mono place is also fine. DO NOT RENT A MOTORBIKE, with your admitted skills, it is not adviseable. book a couple nights at first, especially if arriving on weekend. then if something bothers you, or you decide udon isn't for you, you can move on. nong khai is a short ride up the hwy, 1 hr, and also nice place to relax. stay central, transportation sucks after night fall, no baht buses. if you find a good/fair tuk tuk driver, get his cell phone number. good means, he'll take you couple kms for 50 baht of less. not start at 80-100 baht price no matter where you say. most things are in walking distance. don't get a tuk tuk where there are 10 waiting, to much peer pressure to rip you off, walk about 20 meters away a ask one.

all hotels/gh are guest friendly, haven''t heard about any that aren't. plenty of food options in udon, enjoy.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 6, 2009, 11:52 am

If I was you I wouldn't rule out AEK Udon Apartments. Nice clean secure accommodation within walking distance of most things. Maybe a little more expensive but I reckon you could reason a discount for 3 weeks.
Maybe best to book into somewhere for 1-2 nights and give yourself time to look around to see what suits you.

rgb

Post by rgb » August 7, 2009, 12:19 pm

Thanks Galee

AEK Udon Apartments web page has a very useful link for me.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 29, 2009, 10:48 pm

Hello, I will be in Udon in Nov. and I am looking for a place to rent for about 5 months. A small house or bungalow in a resort would be fine as long as it has cooking facilities and is quiet and clean. I have my own transportation so out of town a bit is o.k., something around 10,000 baht per month is my budget. Thank you.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » September 29, 2009, 11:27 pm

jai yen yen wrote: something around 10,000 baht per month is my budget. Thank you.
You'll get a nice two storey 3/4 bedroom house for that money if you shop around! ... best get a hotel for the 1st month and have a look to see whats available on the private market ..... you'll be surprised of the prices when you want to rent for about 5mnths! ( Thai prices! .... not Farang renting prices from farang owners :shock: )
Bring back Saint

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » September 29, 2009, 11:44 pm

You can Try Lert Praserthouse, not to far from the centre of town (think about 5 km), fully furnished apartments (bathroom, bedroom, living room, small kitchen, cable TV & internet) 7.000 baht, excluding water and electric.

[email protected]

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » September 30, 2009, 12:03 am

jorg wrote:(think about 5 km), fully furnished apartments (bathroom, bedroom, living room, small kitchen, cable TV & internet) 7.000 baht, excluding water and electric.

[email protected]
I know for 2 bedroom terraced houses at ฿3000 closer than that ( ok its per mnth and you've gotta pay the bills! ) but its still cheaper!
What you pay is what you get :? I set a mate up with a 2 bed bungalow in Nong Sam Rong, very big rooms and garden at ฿3500/mnth!!!!! .... Seek and you shall find!!!! ( If I knew now what i did'nt now 5yrs ago ... I wouldn't have bought the house we live in! :shock: )
Bring back Saint

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 30, 2009, 1:42 am

Would you not buy because renting is better or you don't like your house?

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » September 30, 2009, 1:56 am

jai yen yen wrote:Would you not buy because renting is better or you don't like your house?
I Love my house .... Its in a very secure estate and has increased value by ฿700.000 in the last 18mnths (so for the UK exchange rate I've just made a handsome profit!!!!! ) BUT!! ... If I knew what I know now 5yrs ago .... I'd have bought some land and built a house ( would have saved at least about 50% :shock: ) Som nam naa me! :roll:
Bring back Saint

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 30, 2009, 2:36 am

I understand, I did the same thing in Hua Hin

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”