Not-ripped off

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Not-ripped off

Post by parrot » September 17, 2009, 4:52 pm

I was going to file this under the "Ripped Off Again" heading, but I guess it doesn't fit.

Talk about a non-rip-off! Took our dog to the Vet clinic at the corner of Srisuk and Makkaeng Rds yesterday. Good service, English speaking vet, computerized office records. The receipt said 945 baht and I received 55 baht from a 1000 baht note. Returned home to a phone call from the vet. We’re so sorry, she said……we overcharged you 160 baht. Gee, just when you get the impression (from so many of the folks who are living here) that Thais are a bunch of dirty rotten scoundrels, along comes a nice lady who insists on refunding my overpayment.
To almost make matters worse, when we stopped by the clinic today for some extra medicine for the dog, I completely forgot about the overpayment and prepared to pay the 180 baht for today’s medicine. Nope, she’d have none of that. She only charged 20 baht.
We’ve used this vet on many occasions….never had a problem. She brought our puppy back to life with a 3 day ICU many years ago. Her clinic on the left hand side of Srisuk as you’re heading toward the statue circle, about 60meters before the corner of Makkaeng Rd. 042-327-102. Upper right hand corner of I-12 on the udonmap.com map

old-timer
udonmap.com

Re: Not-ripped off

Post by old-timer » September 17, 2009, 5:26 pm

I agree with you 100% parrott, the thread you are talking about should be re-named "mugged off" because in my opinion once bitten twice shy - however some are bitten time and time again - hence I say "Mug".
There truly are very good people and businesses and service providers \:D/ in udon, so why do people choose to live here and find it necessary to talk about their unbelievable ignorance and stupidity....IMO folks..
O/T... working for the community...chock dee... \:D/

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 17, 2009, 5:35 pm

Great post,parrot!I am always happy to find the good people!
I have dog and cats,needing to have a cat ''fixed'',so she doesn't get pregnant,maybe I will make an appt. with your vet!I like to give my business to good people,even if i have to drive abit to do it! :D

Does she speak English?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 17, 2009, 6:52 pm

[quote="parrot" English speaking vet [/quote]

Good to hear about good service.

Kevro
udonmap.com

Post by Kevro » September 17, 2009, 7:15 pm

Hi

Good to see a positive thread. Sick of all the winging (How do you spell winging )threads
Maybe everybody just posts about there bad moments and never about there good moments. More ammo when bad.

Mind you my bad moments have not involved Thais, just falangs.

Kevro

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 17, 2009, 7:35 pm

parrot wrote:I was going to file this under the "Ripped Off Again" heading, but I guess it doesn't fit.

Talk about a non-rip-off! Took our dog to the Vet clinic at the corner of Srisuk and Makkaeng Rds yesterday. Good service, English speaking vet, computerized office records. The receipt said 945 baht and I received 55 baht from a 1000 baht note. Returned home to a phone call from the vet. We’re so sorry, she said……we overcharged you 160 baht. Gee, just when you get the impression (from so many of the folks who are living here) that Thais are a bunch of dirty rotten scoundrels, along comes a nice lady who insists on refunding my overpayment.
To almost make matters worse, when we stopped by the clinic today for some extra medicine for the dog, I completely forgot about the overpayment and prepared to pay the 180 baht for today’s medicine. Nope, she’d have none of that. She only charged 20 baht.
We’ve used this vet on many occasions….never had a problem. She brought our puppy back to life with a 3 day ICU many years ago. Her clinic on the left hand side of Srisuk as you’re heading toward the statue circle, about 60meters before the corner of Makkaeng Rd. 042-327-102. Upper right hand corner of I-12 on the udonmap.com map
Stan,

Stop by the optometrist after you finish with the cat :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 17, 2009, 7:42 pm

:lol: No sympathy for old farts,I see =D>

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 17, 2009, 10:38 pm

You spell it whining I think.

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » September 18, 2009, 12:49 am

And another sunshine story.
A couple of years ago I arrived in Korat by bus. Standing outside the bus terminal I realized that I didnt remember how to get into the center of town. And sometime, as this time, I cant deal with the samlor drivers nonsense. So I just asked a thai for directions and started walking. After walking about 500 meters in the blazing mid day sun I was ready to give in and flag down a samlor. But of course now no one in sight. So I asked another thai how far it was to the center of town. The answer was "very far", hmm, the last person had said it was "not far". I said thank you and walked on, and also looking over my shoulder for a samlor, but the ones that passed by were taken already. So kept walking... hot hot hot.
Finally I came to an area of townhouses and I realized that it couldn`t be far now. Spotted a chinese guy in his 30"s standing outside a shophouse and decided to ask him for the way to my hotel. First I wanted to ask someone else because this guy looked too cocky for my liking. But no one else was around so I walk up to him and asked if he knew my hotel. He smiled and said, ah, no problem, come with me. He walked me 200 meters down the street to a motorcycle taxi. Then he pulled up a 20 baht bill, gave it to the driver and told me, Ok, you go with him. Before i went off I thanked the guy and tried and give him his 20 baht back. But he just smiled and said, no problem, you go now, he take care of you. Then he turned and walked back the same way we came.
The driver took me to my hotel, gave me a big smile, waved and drove off.
It was after a while, when I was relaxing in my room with a cold beer, that it hit me. I had experienced something extraordinary.
Plien

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 18, 2009, 1:06 am

old-timer wrote:I agree with you 100% parrott, the thread you are talking about should be re-named "mugged off" because in my opinion once bitten twice shy - however some are bitten time and time again - hence I say "Mug".
There truly are very good people and businesses and service providers \:D/ in udon, so why do people choose to live here and find it necessary to talk about their unbelievable ignorance and stupidity....IMO folks..
O/T... working for the community...chock dee... \:D/
[-X :lol: It is very therapuetic and informative to many :lol: Learnig from ''mistakes'',yours and others,hopefully!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 18, 2009, 9:31 am

About 15 minutes before my flight on Cathay Pacific left for Hong Kong on Wednesday morning one of the flight attendants approached me and asked me if I had lost my camera. A quick search of my knapsnack indicated that I had indeed lost my camera somewhere.

It had been recovered by one of the workers at individual Power. I had left the camera at a shop where I made a small purchase. The clerk had recorded information from my passport, flight number and so on, and was able to get the camera to the Cathay Pacific counter. How lucky was that?

Of course, I was more than thankful for this gesture of kindness.

At the Phra Taem National Park in Ubon, and the Chiang Mai Zoo I was able to talk the clerks into not charging the farang price by convincing them that I was Thai, and not really Canadian. Well, this was done in a joking (talok) way, which the workers took well.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the police in Buriram helped me out of a tough spot by transporting me via motorcycle to my hotel at a time where there was no transportation (baht bus, taxi) available.

I have usually received nothing but kindness from Thai/Isaan/Lanna people.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 18, 2009, 1:27 pm

Tilokarat wrote: It had been recovered by one of the workers at individual Power. I had left the camera at a shop where I made a small purchase. The clerk had recorded information from my passport, flight number and so on, and was able to get the camera to the Cathay Pacific counter. How lucky was that?
Tilo, have you heard of a place named Coventry?

That's where you will end up if you have one further positive thing to say about individual Power. :roll:

Now go and wash your keyboard. :D

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » September 18, 2009, 3:46 pm

During a visit, I returned to Krabi Town after being at the beach. When I got to my hotel I noticed I had left my day pack on the song tau. The clerk at the hotel asked me where I had been. He got on the phone and made a call. After hanging up he told me walk to the 7-11 a couple blocks over and see the guy there as the song tau's going to the beach were administered there. I did so. The guy at 7-11 asked me what time I'd come back and asked for a description of the pack. When I told him he said he thought he knew which driver it would be, and told me to return to my hotel. By the time I got back there the song tau driver was there with the day pack, with my wallet, passport, money, camera, etc. He would not accept a reward of any kind.

My brother in law asked to borrow 500,000 baht for a few days as he was having a cash crunch at his business. I only had 300,000 readily available that Monday. He repaid me Friday evening.

When I go out to eat with my relatives it is usually a struggle to pay the bill. They will not let me.

The generosity, kindness, and honesty of the great majority of Thai's I have met is very high.

I sometimes wonder how many rocks some guys had to turn over to find all the problems they have.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » September 18, 2009, 4:40 pm

When I first met the lady who eventually became my wife, she told me on the phone to drop by her shop that afternoon. We had been corresponding by email and she had sent me her address in English script, but I did not know my way around Udon and had no idea where it was. I figured most tuk tuk drivers couldn't read English, so I took the address to the hotel front desk, explained my dilemma to the young lady there and asked her to write it in Thai so I could give it to the driver. She asked me what is the lady's phone number. She called her and got detailed directions from the hotel and even drew a little map with landmarks. Then she motioned me to follow her, went outside and hailed a Tuck Tuck, explained in detail to the driver and even negotiated the price for the journey. Then she said "he take care of you, 60 Baht". When I returned to the hotel that evening with my lady, she was still on duty and gave me a knowing look and a big smile. I would never expect service of that kind in US, unless I was a high roller in Vegas or a Donald Trump type at a luxury hotel. This was the Ton Koon at about 500 Baht per night. I have generally experienced the same kind of helpfulness wherever I go in Thailand, with very few exceptions.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 18, 2009, 4:41 pm

I agree with UdonExpat. In most of my dealings with Thai people, they are polite, friendly and honest. Whenever we need some work done or go looking to purchase something, the wife usually knows who to contact or where to go for honest dealings. That is a huge advantage for me. She also knows enough people here in Udon to ask for recommendations. That is a really big help.

I've given money to the wife when family members have asked for a loan. I always got it back. I've never directly loaned money to any Thai or expat here in Thailand so I really can't comment on that, but then no Thai or expat has ever asked me for money. If it ever happened, my gut feeling is that I would be more apt to lend money to the Thai than to the expat.

Can't say that Thai family members reached for the restaurant check before I did, but I enjoy treating them occasionally and consider it to be no big deal.

I'm estimating that 95% of my dealings with Thai people have been positive and only about 5% have been negative. That is surely much better than my dealings back home in the states.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 18, 2009, 4:51 pm

I sometimes wonder how many rocks some guys had to turn over to find all the problems they have.
1st one, it was easy, not many for the others that thought i was a walking ATM, actually 2 out of 5 ain't bad, well for partner contacts. as everywhere, the negative leave lasting impressions and are better stories, but basically, most people are good or try their best, and that's good enough. shame so many have scamming down to a science, really tarnishes the rest of them. have had more good experiences than bad, that's for sure. though it does seem to infect whole villages at time, the walking ATM mentality. oh well, such is life everywhere, especially when on the lower rung of the ladder, educationally and economically. luckily many more shine, in a screwed up life. glad i wasn't born here. not a big fan of USA, but nice birthright. :D

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 18, 2009, 7:36 pm

I have been given quite a few free lifts in Udon on motor bike when lost, off the bus routes or after dark, by strangers, business owners, bargirls and tuk-tuk drivers. A few free drinks. Never overcharged or short changed (to my knowledge, using info on Udonmap). Tuk tuk drivers try it on, but are reasonable if you barter in thai (just need to know how to count). Only can think of one slightly mercenary individual; but paying up to me.

So would say 95% positive at least; as good or better than most places.

marcusb
udonmap.com

Post by marcusb » September 18, 2009, 9:28 pm

My first day in Thailand I was not ripped off . I was jet lagged and overwhelmed with my new surroundings and left my bank card in the ATM. Lucky for me one of the employees of the 7-11 was cleaning the windows, saw my card and ran two blocks to catch me, "Mister, Mister"
In Chang Khan i sat at the hotel for 1/2 hr drinking with a Thai, a Udon restauranteur, I excused myself to go get some food. He threw me his keys and insisted I take his motorcy. That doesn't happen in Canada.
In Bung Khan I hear " hey Farang, come have beer" . Two teachers took me on a huge drunk to different bars and food after and they insisted on paying for everything.
Cycling around Isaan I was quite often given free mangoes, route information, lessons on thailand and lots and lots of shots of Thai whiskey . I found it very safe and the people very nice. With a genuine interest in what I was doing.
I have had some bad experiences, but the good far out weighs the bad.
This thread is so refreshing, good idea OP.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 19, 2009, 5:58 am

Tilo, have you heard of a place named Coventry?
But, isn't Coventry a rather dreary place that produces, or used to produce, automobiles? As for more positive comments on individual Power, well...the workers are friendly and attentive.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 19, 2009, 8:43 am

i needed a tractor and driver to move some earth , about 20 cubic metres , moved 25 yards . so this local guy turns up on his moped to give me an estimate . now bearing in mind the last time i hired the same , he was here for six hours and charged 1800 baht all in , which i felt was fair . so i figure about half an hour , a little travel time , 500 baht should cover it !!!! so this guy ums and ars , walks up and down a bit , scratches his head a bit , 1500 baht , he says , to which i reply too expensive , O K he says 1200 baht , to which i reply , thankyou , but no thankyou . he gets on his moped and rides off into the sunrise . too all you cynics out there , you see how simple it is to not get ripped off ? all you have to do is make a concious decision and if you feel your being over charged , just say no .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”