Udon Thani Immigration Office

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Immigration Office

Post by bumper » October 22, 2009, 8:42 pm

You know in the end it's Nong Khai you have to make happy safiest thing do what they tell you to do.

If they tell you, you have to leave the Country only about 10 klms from where you are, at that point. Once you get in the flow it's easy. I have had fun in Viatene the few times I've been there.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » October 22, 2009, 9:15 pm

jackspratt wrote:That free feed is looking better and better :D
Well, if Mr. 'doo' comes back from Bangkok with an "O-A" stamped in his PP then the meals on you; otherwise you'll be eating on the cheap.

I'll be very surprised if he gets an "O-A" and will believe it when I see the stamp myself. Somehow I doubt he'll be posting anymore.......at least under his current nick. :-"

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 22, 2009, 9:38 pm

This is getting ridiculous, O , O-A, still a years visa, whatever you get you must start outside Thailand and then the process is quite simple for those that can read .
The problem with many foreigners it that they seem to think not understanding makes it possible for them to circumnavigate the system in some way.
I started witha 90 day some years back, converted as they say and have remained here ona years extension since then, hassle free, no probs, a few hiccups ( like when the financial markets dived ) but apart from that no probs.
Follow the rules, any idiot can do that and be happy.

Scouser Bob

Post by Scouser Bob » October 22, 2009, 11:54 pm

I got my first 1 year none resident retirement visa 2 years ago with out going outside Thailand to start it. I went to Nong Khai Immigration Office and showed the house papers, a letter from the bank stating my statement for the last 3 months and showed my bank book. I got another 1 year visa last year no problem. However this year I went to get another one but I did not have the new house lease. They took my money and stamped the new visa in my passport and kept my passport while I went and got the house lease. When I got back with house lease the Dragon Lady was there and demanded to see my bank book. For over the previous 7 months I had between 1.2 and 2 million in my bank book except for 1 day about 2 weeks before when it dropped to 703,000 THB but the next day when my transfer from the UK came through my bank balance was over 1.2 million THB again. So because of this 1 day the Dragon Lady refused me my visa saying I needed 800,000 THB for 3 months before and it is regulations and would not budge. So I had the visa already in passport cancelled and my money given back to me. So I think a lot depends on who you are dealing with in the Immgration Office.

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » October 23, 2009, 1:15 am

Scouser Bob wrote:For over the previous 7 months I had between 1.2 and 2 million in my bank book except for 1 day about 2 weeks before when it dropped to 703,000 THB but the next day when my transfer from the UK came through my bank balance was over 1.2 million THB again. So because of this 1 day the Dragon Lady refused me my visa saying I needed 800,000 THB for 3 months before and it is regulations and would not budge. So I had the visa already in passport cancelled and my money given back to me. So I think a lot depends on who you are dealing with in the Immgration Office.
What she did was follow the law, as written. You messed up. Calling her names don't change the facts. I am not attacking you, personally, but that is how I see it. I have gone through similar things, as the rules change and I am not aware of them, but expecting them to overlook what the are supposed to be there for, seems a bit of a stretch.

Scouser Bob

Post by Scouser Bob » October 23, 2009, 4:43 am

I hear what you say Mariner but ever heard of desecrationary powers. The whole thing about having the money in the bank 3 months before a visa is issued is to stop people putting it one day and taking it out the next and I had put in around 10 million Baht in the last 2 years. Also if I had not forgot the house lease I would have walked out with a new 1 year visa as a certain woman was not maning a desk then. So what are you saying everybody else in the NK Immigration Office is not doing there job correctly except 1 woman.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 23, 2009, 8:29 am

She follows the letter of the law. I remember the times when no one knew exactly what to do because they were not doing that. Although it would be nice if she smiled that's not a job requirement as far as I can tell.

My experience with her was once she saw I followed the Law she was pretty nice to me. My visa was processed in about five min's. As she had precleared the paper work before the other officer had even seen it.

We are now going to have a new Office in Udon, which means we may all have to learn all over again.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 23, 2009, 8:45 am

Discretionary powers are a two way street - they can just as easily be used against you, as for you.

Quite frankly, I would rather see Thai Immigration have far less discretion, and (hopefully, therefore) far more consistency, particularly at the shopfront level.

pauludon
udonmap.com

Post by pauludon » October 23, 2009, 9:56 am

Someone yesterday told me they have open The Immigration Office in Udon at the old airport, can anyone confirm it?

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » October 23, 2009, 10:39 am

Yes, tho their services are limited at present, I believe they are doing 90 day and re-entry, other posters may be able to update.
Walk along the front of the terminal building without going inside, its the last door.

Dublin Tony
udonmap.com

Post by Dublin Tony » October 23, 2009, 10:41 am

Yes,the new Immigration Office is open at the old airport building but only doing 90 day reports as yet.

As regards Immigration,a lot of farangs make the mistake of assuming they have the same rights as in their home country.They do not.We are just guests in Thailand and have to comply with anything Immigration ask of us.
You must never lose your temper at an Immigration official,particularily if they have your passport details on record.It will be remembered and could make things awkward for you in the future.
Also,for example,if a Brit were to lose his temper at an Immigration official and cause loss of face its bad luck for any more Brits wanting visas processed that day....same applies to any nationalities.
It is very frustrating if you miss the criteria by just 1 day or 5000 baht but it is your responsibility to ensure everything is correctly in place before you apply for your visa.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » October 23, 2009, 11:07 am

I can also confirm that the new Udon Immigration office is open for business as long as that business is a 90 day report. Did it yesterday and it was a fairly quick one. Younger guys working behind the windows in A/C comfort. A slight delay while they (OK, me as well) stopped to admire some skirts walking past the building enroute to the Thai restaurant next door. A totally polite exchange.

You're right, Dublin Tony. Never a good idea to lose your cool with the Immigration people, they hold all of the trump cards.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » October 23, 2009, 11:10 am

Scouser Bob wrote:I got my first 1 year none resident retirement visa 2 years ago with out going outside Thailand to start it. I went to Nong Khai Immigration Office and showed the house papers, a letter from the bank stating my statement for the last 3 months and showed my bank book. I got another 1 year visa last year no problem. However this year I went to get another one but I did not have the new house lease. They took my money and stamped the new visa in my passport and kept my passport while I went and got the house lease. When I got back with house lease the Dragon Lady was there and demanded to see my bank book. For over the previous 7 months I had between 1.2 and 2 million in my bank book except for 1 day about 2 weeks before when it dropped to 703,000 THB but the next day when my transfer from the UK came through my bank balance was over 1.2 million THB again. So because of this 1 day the Dragon Lady refused me my visa saying I needed 800,000 THB for 3 months before and it is regulations and would not budge. So I had the visa already in passport cancelled and my money given back to me. So I think a lot depends on who you are dealing with in the Immgration Office.
I'm curious, what does the stamp in your PP actually say? Surely it doesn't say "1 year none resident retirement"?

Just guessing but perhaps it says: Non-Immigrant Category 'O'?

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » October 23, 2009, 1:38 pm

My Visa says Non O A, as does my entry stamps.
My re-entry permit just says Non Imm.

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » October 23, 2009, 8:03 pm

i have dusted off the forms i presented to nong khai immigration three months and six months after i arrived in thailand . each time my application was re fused. the .the form is headed for applying for a non- immigrant category o-a visa. as tafia wrote he got an o-a visa from an embassy. if you come in on an o visa from a consulate then you can apply for an o-a visa from your local immigration office. the forms can be printed off from the hull consulate site but please note i found the immigration office required far more information than if you apply at an embassy

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 23, 2009, 8:09 pm

Take whatever notice you choose of the Hull site - but in the normal course of events, you cannot get an O-A visa in Thailand.

You can, however, get an extension of an O-A visa. Extension does not equal visa.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » October 24, 2009, 10:06 am

Tafia wrote:My Visa says Non O A, as does my entry stamps.
I'm curious and trying to increase my Visa knowledge. When you originally received your 'O-A' Visa to whom did you submit the paperwork and where were you at that time?

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » October 24, 2009, 10:10 am

jackspratt wrote:That free feed is looking better and better :D
Yes.......but for whom? :|

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » October 24, 2009, 10:35 am

LoveDaBlues wrote:
Tafia wrote:My Visa says Non O A, as does my entry stamps.
I'm curious and trying to increase my Visa knowledge. When you originally received your 'O-A' Visa to whom did you submit the paperwork and where were you at that time?
Hi
I got it in London at the Royal Thai Embassy.
Hull do not issue a Non OA Visa (I did it this way after taking advice from Loburi3 on the Thaivisa site)
I was still living in the UK at that time.
I downloaded the forms from the Thai Embassy site (London).
There is a lot more paperwork involved with a Non OA. - Police Report (by Scotland Yard), Medical Certificate as well as financial and or Pension Statements.
This paperwork then has to be Notarized by a Solicitor before it is accepted by the Embassy.
A multi Entry Non OA costs £100 and can only be applied for in person.
Papers submitted on day 1 collect on day 3.
The advantages of the Non OA is there are no 90 day border runs (tho there is the 90day reports) and an exit and return just before the visa expires will give you a further 12 mths before having to apply for extensions.
On the second year a Re-Entry permit will be required should you want to leave the country.
Extensions are required thereafter.
Hope that helps.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » October 24, 2009, 10:45 am

Tafia, thanks for the reply. ;)

After 4 years in Thailand I have still yet to see ANYONE with an 'O-A' that was issued from within Thailand. I'm not saying it isn't possible; I'll believe it when I see the stamp myself.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”