Remembrance Day

Pay tribute to loved ones and friends here...
trubrit
udonmap.com

Remembrance Day

Post by trubrit » November 6, 2009, 9:49 am

Lest we forget. Remembrance day is this coming Sunday 8th November. Its time to take a moment to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we might be free.
article-0-07196401000005DC-901_468x666.jpg
I find this photo of the soldiers who have died in Afghanistan taken at the Field of Remembrance, Westminster Abbey, particularly poignant as you don't just see a cross and a poppy but the human face behind the name .
May your God be with you .

arjay
udonmap.com

Re: Remembrance Day

Post by arjay » November 6, 2009, 9:57 am

Indeed. Thank you for the reminder Val.

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we shall remember them"

I guess the best option on sunday, will be to watch BBC World Service, or listen through one of the BBC Radio stations?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 6, 2009, 10:27 am

Thanks for the timely reminder True Brit.

In Canada, we always begin the ceremonies on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (11 a.m. on 11 November) with a playing of our two national anthems, O Canada, and God Save the Queen.

This is the day, hour and month the First World War ended.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 6, 2009, 10:38 am

arjay wrote:Indeed. Thank you for the reminder Val.

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we shall remember them"

I guess the best option on sunday, will be to watch BBC World Service, or listen through one of the BBC Radio stations?
There will be a full remembrance service at 11.00 AM, Thai time , at the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery this Sunday. In attendance will be a, I believe, Australian army points guard. Normally the British Embassy Military Attache is also in attendance .If you are going to listen to the Horse Guards Cenotaph service , remember that will be 6PM over here .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 6, 2009, 10:38 am

Same in UK Tilo. Usually a 1 minute silence is observed at that time as well - in the workplace as well as elsewhere.
However the Sunday before the 11th. is usually referred to as 'Remembrance Sunday". A great many ceremonies (especially by members of the armed services but certainly NOT just limited to them) are held in just about every village, town & city in UK, in the past usually associated with a church service and usually involving a march to the local cenotaph/war memorial.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 6, 2009, 10:40 am

Oh, I should have said that the ceremonies start with a playing of 'The Last Post' by a sole bugler, and then a reading of the poem, 'In Flanders Fields where Poppies Grow' written by the Canadian soldier. Subsequently the national anthems are played. Somewhere along the line there is a saying of the 'Lord's Prayer' too.

Yes, there is a minute's silence in which all traffic, streetcars, and subways across the country stop too.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 6, 2009, 10:58 pm

For those of us who have lost friends and loved ones it is quite poignant, the Uk is I am sure experiencing an upsurge in attendance at the local and national Cenotaphs, due in part to the conflicts in the Middle east and Afghanistan, before then attendances were dying out ,as as the membership of the British legion, however from my friends I have been told that membership is also on the rise.

It is interesting to note the phrase 'War to end all Wars' was attritbuted to the First World War, and since then we haven't stopped really , it is a sad reminder that no matter how intelligent we humans think we are, we still seem to fight about it, rather than talk.
I will remember on the 8th and the 11th as I have done for over 40 years, only this time not in Uniform as I can no longer fit in it.

Nobby
udonmap.com
Location: Was Hailsham, East Sussex now Udon and London now and again

Post by Nobby » November 6, 2009, 11:28 pm

Will be with you in spirit Paul. I shall be remembering in London on the 8th
My last big parade in the forces was in fact at the Cenotaph in London in 1998 and like you,my uniform no longer fits.

Return to “Obituaries”